Bed base dumped - what to do

It could workable, a licence could be issued for a fee. But the sort of people who fly tip from vans (and I question massively what proportion that actually is) won't pay for a licence. They've been paid to do a job and the rubbish is a by product of it more often than not and despite getting paid and get a skip or something and dispose of it properly.

. I was at a services near reading on the M4 and they closed the slip road getting back into the motorway."Use the service road" they said. Fly tipping doesn't do it justice. It was skip after skip after skip down there - you could tell it was literally skips that were emptied. Not one or two, a dozen or more. Some people are just scruffy sods. Don't fall for penny's flannel!

I'm sure there was some research done recently showing a correlation between tip access/charging and fly tipping. I could be wrong though.

You're right, there'll be a core of people who just don't give a fig. Same as the people who just chuck their empty take away boxes, sweet wrappers, drinks bottles on the ground.

It's actually getting me down. Every day I try to do my bit and collect as much rubbish as I can pick up on my way to and from the tram stop. But I'm fighting a losing battle. To make matters worse, there's only 1 bin to actually put my collected rubbish in on the way to work, which is often full, and no bins on the way home, which doesn't help much. It's almost as if the council actually wants us to litter!

I'm not saying people are blameless, but why make it difficult? There's about a dozen take aways nearby. A few bins right outside the takeaways, but none at all further down the road. It's obvious what happens- people get their nosh, eat it walking along the road, get about half a mile away, finish their scran and then wonder what to do with the packaging. No prizes for guessing where it all ends up. There are a couple of bus stops along the way, neither have a bin. If ever there's a hotspot for litter, it's a bus stop!

Then you try to get out into the countryside on a weekend, get some fresh air and exercise, raise the spirits. But even that's seriously blighted by all the dumped rubbish.

Gonna have to breathe now. Can you tell it's getting uder my skin?:(

I'm sure there was some research done recently showing a correlation between tip access/charging and fly tipping. I could be wrong though.

You're right, there'll be a core of people who just don't give a fig. Same as the people who just chuck their empty take away boxes, sweet wrappers, drinks bottles on the ground.

It's actually getting me down. Every day I try to do my bit and collect as much rubbish as I can pick up on my way to and from the tram stop. But I'm fighting a losing battle. To make matters worse, there's only 1 bin to actually put my collected rubbish in on the way to work, which is often full, and no bins on the way home, which doesn't help much. It's almost as if the council actually wants us to litter!

I'm not saying people are blameless, but why make it difficult? There's about a dozen take aways nearby. A few bins right outside the takeaways, but none at all further down the road. It's obvious what happens- people get their nosh, eat it walking along the road, get about half a mile away, finish their scran and then wonder what to do with the packaging. No prizes for guessing where it all ends up. There are a couple of bus stops along the way, neither have a bin. If ever there's a hotspot for litter, it's a bus stop!

Then you try to get out into the countryside on a weekend, get some fresh air and exercise, raise the spirits. But even that's seriously blighted by all the dumped rubbish.

Gonna have to breathe now. Can you tell it's getting uder my skin?:(

You aren't alone!

Solutions? I don't know - make it easier for people to what ever at a dump it site. But people will take the Mick and there will van after van queuing up to get rid of trade waste for free. I would if legislation would allow it - I pay for my bin but the tip is literally two mins up the road and I can make more of effort to recycle stuff because the facility is there. I'd have to have a row of tiny bins at work costing me far more money than it's really worth to recycle everything I can.

But that would result in rate/council tax rises etc etc. So i play with a straight bat and drive by crap left by scruffs.

I must mention this though, anyone who has spent any kind of time driving round industrial estates know how truly repulsive they all are. Not all though - one I drive through has a group of disabled adults who litter pick once a week (might be a fortnight) and wipe down the bus shelters, rain or shine. Legends all. Part of me thinks, well hopes, that the sort of lout who chucks stuff out of car window sees these folk in driving rain and think "next time I'll find a bin". I doubt it though.

EDIT and I never ever thought you'd be the sort of person who used the word scran;)

You aren't alone!

Solutions? I don't know - make it easier for people to what ever at a dump it site. But people will take the Mick and there will van after van queuing up to get rid of trade waste for free. I would if legislation would allow it - I pay for my bin but the tip is literally two mins up the road and I can make more of effort to recycle stuff because the facility is there. I'd have to have a row of tiny bins at work costing me far more money than it's really worth to recycle everything I can.

But that would result in rate/council tax rises etc etc. So i play with a straight bat and drive by crap left by scruffs.

I must mention this though, anyone who has spent any kind of time driving round industrial estates know how truly repulsive they all are. Not all though - one I drive through has a group of disabled adults who litter pick once a week (might be a fortnight) and wipe down the bus shelters, rain or shine. Legends all. Part of me thinks, well hopes, that the sort of lout who chucks stuff out of car window sees these folk in driving rain and think "next time I'll find a bin". I doubt it though.

EDIT and I never ever thought you'd be the sort of person who used the word scran;)

Oh god, scran doesn't have some alternative meaning I don't know about does it?!

In an ideal world, this is what I would like to see - make it as easy as possible for people to voluntarily get rid of their rubbish, then come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who still takes the Mick. Plenty of bins, emptied regularly for certain. If it means free (at point of) access for all at the tips, then maybe it's a price worth paying? That's why it would be good to see a cost/benefit analysis.

It's got to be expensive to reactively clean up after the act rather than proactively provide the facilities? It all needs disposing of one way or another, it's just whether it's done in an organised fashion or in a chasing your tail kind of fashion.

Then there's the knock on effect. If people see rubbish everywhere, I'm certain they're more likely to follow suit. Broken window effect.

Then there's the wellbeing costs - how can we have pride in our environment, enjoy our surroundings when it's all such a mess? It will be possible to estimate a monetary cost to this (they managed to do that with the trees, but let's not get into that!).

It's like we've collectively lost pride in our environment. But your example of the volunteers is a lovely one. Three cheers for them.

Yes it would. Some people just don't care.

If you allow large vans into council tips then builders use them. Which means we subsidise their business through our taxes.

That's not what I want my council taxes spent on.

I wouldn't consider it subsidising a business. Why should a business have to pay to get rid of rubbish if the council and its contractors ultimately dispose of it anyway. The reasons given above suggest why we should subsidise it even if that was the case.

I'd be interested to see a cost analysis, weighing up revenue from legal business waste disposal against expenditure on clearing up illegal dumping, factoring in the cost of clearing up all the waste that gets dumped but doesn't actually get cleared up, plus the environmental and social costs of living in a (insert swearword) tip.

I'm so fed up of the state of our city - rubbish everywhere, it looks like a third world country. The countryside's not a great deal better.

Why don't you ask the council via a freedom of Information request?

If anyone does want to raise the profile of the mess of the city, do a litter pick and some other activities linked to that, then The Sheffield Litter Picker Group is arranging an event for Keep Britain Tidy's Big Clean Up. They will meet at Firth Park Clocktower Pavillion, S5 6WS at 1pm on Saturday the 3rd of February. The first 100 helpers will be given a litter picker for keeps which aims to try and get more people picking where they live.

philyyy - what makes you make this statement?

"I wouldn't consider it subsidising a business. Why should a business have to pay to get rid of rubbish if the council and its contractors ultimately dispose of it anyway. The reasons given above suggest why we should subsidise it even if that was the case."

The council and its contractors don't get rid of business waste, not unless they set another contract up direct with either of them ie ask for a quote and pay for disposal.

Edit - in addition to that, domestic waste isn't controlled waste, business and charity waste is controlled waste. It comes under a totally different set of regulations.

Why don't you ask the council via a freedom of Information request?

Maybe. I'm not sure they'd have all that information though. They'd have records on revenue from legally dumped business waste, and they'd know how much they've spent on clearing up illegally dumped waste. But that doesn't give thd whole picture. It wouldn't cover estimates of how much it would cost to clear up all the dumped rubbish lurking out there thst doesn't get reported, or never actually gets cleared. They wouldn't know what it costs in terms of quality of life either, unless they've commissioned an academic study on it.

Maybe. I'm not sure they'd have all that information though. They'd have records on revenue from legally dumped business waste, and they'd know how much they've spent on clearing up illegally dumped waste. But that doesn't give thd whole picture. It wouldn't cover estimates of how much it would cost to clear up all the dumped rubbish lurking out there thst doesn't get reported, or never actually gets cleared. They wouldn't know what it costs in terms of quality of life either, unless they've commissioned an academic study on it.

See my bold; "they", the Council, would have no idea how much waste types, tonnage or cost has been disposed of elsewhere.

Yes it would. Some people just don't care.

If you allow large vans into council tips then builders use them. Which means we subsidise their business through our taxes.

That's not what I want my council taxes spent on.

So you would rather have it spent on clearing fly tipping up that costs twice as

much :loopy::loopy:

All the 5 recycling sites in Sheffield do not permit LWB vans on site. However you can use a SWB or MWB van by booking it on. However you are only allowed 3 visits per year unless you apply for a permit which entitles you to 13 visits per year. This can be done by calling 01142734567

See my bold; "they", the Council, would have no idea how much waste types, tonnage or cost has been disposed of elsewhere.

So even less of the total picture then.

So you would rather have it spent on clearing fly tipping up that costs twice as

much :loopy::loopy:

Do you honestly think that clearing up fly tipping would cost less than letting any and every business use a dumpit site?

Fly tipping costs the UK tax payer £58m. That's a national figure not a local one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42689357

How much do you think it would cost to let every small business, just small businesses, get rid of rubbish for free? More or less than £58m.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Do you honestly think that clearing up fly tipping would cost less than letting any and every business use a dumpit site?

Fly tipping costs the UK tax payer £58m. That's a national figure not a local one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42689357

How much do you think it would cost to let every small business, just small businesses, get rid of rubbish for free? More or less than £58m.

Where do businesses take their rubbish if they don't take them to the tip?