'Smart' M1 speed cameras on Sheffield stretch on 24-hours-a-day

i dont

my little van is most economical between 55 and 60. so i stay over in lane 1 with the lorries and get 30% more value for money from my tankfull

Yet another advantage to keeping the speed down. :thumbsup:

Practically everyone drives above 70 on motorways . This is just more targeting of motorists by the Government to raise revenue.

no they don't and there is a very simple way to avoid a fine and that is to stick to the speed limit, it's really not that hard.

Motorway accidents are the most lethal though... it's the fact the traffic is grade seperated and well streamed taht keeps the accident rate down and as you say makes them so safe. It used to be that the UK motorway was the safest roads in the world - not sure if thats still the case though
Not if the bint I saw this morning (and had -as had others!- to emergency-brake for) is getting to be the norm.

Dark blue Clio, older shape, she cut across from middle (3rd) lane into the M18-joining filter lane at Jct 31 northbound, only 100 yards from the ramp, within 50 yards or so. Literally as if there was nobody around (if you're familiar with that jct, at around 08:15 in the morning, you'll know that it's ultra-congested and stationary over 2 lanes)...

...with her iPhone (screen lit, so in use) in left f&£¥$*ing hand :rant:

Seemed to be the case on the M1 90 mins ago. 50mph on the gantry due to congestion. The only cars braking where the ones in the outside lane ignoring the limit.

All the other lanes were flowing nicely.

Wasn't there something about the speed limit being dropped to 50mph at peak periods to limit the emissions. I remember back in February and March when I was heading up to Leeds that the 50MPH signs came on at 7 AM and at night they came on about 4.30.

Wasn't there something about the speed limit being dropped to 50mph at peak periods to limit the emissions. I remember back in February and March when I was heading up to Leeds that the 50MPH signs came on at 7 AM and at night they came on about 4.30.

Maybe.

The gantry signs mentioned conjestion though.

i dont

my little van is most economical between 55 and 60. so i stay over in lane 1 with the lorries and get 30% more value for money from my tankfull

Rather you than me,i am never comfortable with an artic travelling a few metres behind me.I do the speed limits whenever possible,i don't worry about mpg,i don't really have any idea how many miles i get with my car.I just fill it up when it gets low.:)

You have too much money then

do you question the price of a pint? or anything else

you will of course get to your destination a whole minute quicker than i will. for your extra money spent.

No i don't, if i want a pint i buy one.I have never felt like i have too much money but i do accept that i probably have more money available than a lot of people do.I have worked hard for over forty years and paid my mortgage off to get to a reasonably comfortable lifestyle.If you need to watch the pennies then fair enough but i would still be uncomfortable getting in the way of the HGV,s on the motorway.

as it happens. i dont need to watch the pennies (as shown by the 5 months a yr i spend in the alp snowboarding)

it i also know that sitting in lane 1, cruising at the same speed as the hgv's is by far the safest place to be.

i am not getting in the way of them.

i am protected by them

i will leave all the hot heads and tailgaters in lane 3 to be nose to tail. burning fuel like there is no tomorrow. and constantly jabbing at the brakes.

I drive correctly, i use the nearside lane all the time but i do always overtake slow moving vehicles and HGV,s.I once passed a fatal accident on the M5 with a little van and a car squashed beyond recognition between two hgv,s on the nearside lane and when i used to occasionally drive a van i used to get hgv,s tailgating me so i prefer not to mix it with them if i can avoid it so i always overtake them when i catch them up.Just my personal view that's all.No offence intended.

I saw that article and remembered it as I got down to about j27, doing probably 85 for a fair bit of the journey along with all the other traffic! I didn't see any cameras flash and they do flash in the day as well as at night.

I drive Junction 33 to 37 and back three times a week and if them cameras where on I would have had more than one ticket in the post. I haven't and I think the police are just putting this information out there in an effort to slow traffic down.

Because there is good evidence that it does reduce delays by stopping the traffic bunching up and causing stop start flow which actually increases overall travel time.

It doesnt make much intunitve sense but the paper I read about it was quite convincing.

It works well in rush hour, anyone can see that. We have that setup currently.

but they are referring to changing things and having the camera's operating 24 hours a day, with the excuse being it reduces congestion (at those times) - which is obviously a total lie.

A 2/3/4am there is no congestion, they can't claim to be reducing congestion when there isn't any there in the first place.

The camera's work fine as they are, increasing their operating time to non-rush periods is just a money grab.

I drive Junction 33 to 37 and back three times a week and if them cameras where on I would have had more than one ticket in the post. I haven't and I think the police are just putting this information out there in an effort to slow traffic down.

Ive seen the camera in-between the two southern Wakefield junctions flash over on the other side of the road well after 9pm at the weekend in recent weeks.

Ive seen the camera in-between the two southern Wakefield junctions flash over on the other side of the road well after 9pm at the weekend in recent weeks.

Yes, a friend of mine got caught three times by that very camera in one day, I do believe that one is on all the time.