Panasonic TVs corrupted by Freeview?

Our Panasonic Viera TV was stuck on standby a couple of days ago, fortunately within guarantee (just).

TV engineer sent by John Lewis said he has had similar problems over last few days and thinks some Panasonic sets have been corrupted by a transmission from Freeview relating to a change to the BBC red button service. Noticed a couple of Panasonics being sold with same problem on Gumtree and Forum over the last couple of days.

Problem solved by using reset menus which are only available to engineers.

Does anybody know if this is true and, if so, what recompense would any victims have?

Our Panasonic Viera TV was stuck on standby a couple of days ago, fortunately within guarantee (just).

TV engineer sent by John Lewis said he has had similar problems over last few days and thinks some Panasonic sets have been corrupted by a transmission from Freeview relating to a change to the BBC red button service. Noticed a couple of Panasonics being sold with same problem on Gumtree and Forum over the last couple of days.

Problem solved by using reset menus which are only available to engineers.

Does anybody know if this is true and, if so, what recompense would any victims have?

It could be a possibility... I know that OTA (over the air) updates are delivered via Freeivew signal, things like the TV guide, red button services etc - i'm not sure exactly what part was changed/updated and how said part interfaces with the panasonic TV's especially, BUT there is a possibility that it could cause an issue..

It could be a possibility... I know that OTA (over the air) updates are delivered via Freeivew signal, things like the TV guide, red button services etc - i'm not sure exactly what part was changed/updated and how said part interfaces with the panasonic TV's especially, BUT there is a possibility that it could cause an issue..

Things like the red button services are essentially programs conforming to the MHEG-5 standard that can be downloaded to TVs. If either the BBC have written something that doesn't conform to the standard or Panasonic's implementation of the standard is incorrect that could cause a problem. Given that the problem only seems to exist with Panasonic sets I'd suspect the latter. Panasonic may be able to provide a firmware update to the affected TV that would fix the problem.

my digihome 32 smart set decided to shut down three weeks ago I bought a replacement but still have the broken set ,the replacement set is a bush and very similar in layout to the digihome .Does badge engineering go on in the tv game? if so any one know the reset procedure for this range of sets.

Badge engineering happens a lot, yours is probably a set made by vestel, they make sets for a lot, even noted ‘Japanese’, brands, I think even lower sized one for Panasonic are vestel, google vestel tv reset, it may help, a website callled Bad Caps may help, they have a section on modern tv issues,

Some sets get firmware updates OTA I believe.

Have a search on google and see if there are any issues, if it's a major issue it'll be all over AV forums etc.

The Panasonic set needs a software update, if it's the problem I've read about (text visible over/behind the picture) - apparently if it's connected to WiFi and you launch the iplayer app it will update itself (or so I've read)

Along similar lines.

Ever since the TV broadcast station went from analogue to digital our TV kept pixilating when received through the aerial but didn't through the free view box.

The problem turned out to be the chrome cast dongle which I use for BBC iplayer.

If unplugged when not in use the pixilation vanished.

Took me years to discover that.:loopy:

Sometimes third party boxes have signal amplifiers in, which improves the signal.

Freeview straight into my TV is poor, but perfect if I go through a Humax Freeview box.