1% of the world population own 82% of the wealth

Will we now see Mel give up enough of his assets to get him out of that wretched greedy thieving top 1% allowing him join the majority in a class war!!?

I won't hold my breath.

Your living standards far exceed almost every single person on the planet so why the heck are you moaning about what other people have? If your shadowy cabal of 61 Scrooge McDucks shared all their wealth around you wouldn't even get a Mars Bar.

alter the facts all you like, the report states 61 INDIVIDUALS own most of the wealth.

The report was never about this country is richer than that country or that group of countries is richer than that group.

I happen to live in a country which is far richer than the 3rd world BUT the top earners in said country earn far more than me, and according to the report almost more than the rest of the entire world.

Thats not me being envious thats the fact, now you carry on hating the EU and foriegners, blaming them for all the ills :hihi::thumbsup:

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 13:44 ----------

Will we now see Mel give up enough of his assets to get him out of that wretched greedy thieving top 1% allowing him join the majority in a class war!!?

I won't hold my breath.

its not about me, ENG brought me into it

the report states

theres mistakes and revisions but it varies between 8 and 42 and 61 INDIVIDUALS i really doubt im in that 61 ;)

Two different statistics though isn't.

61 people own half the worlds wealth. That's 50%.

1% of the world population (so that's 80 million people?) own 82% of that wealth.

ENG601 is mixing up income and wealth, but he's probably right about many of us being in that 1%.

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 13:51 ----------

ENG601PM is right.

Take two average UK salaries of say £25,000 in a household, and you would be in the richest 1-2% of the world.

https://www.givingwhatwecan.org/get-involved/how-rich-am-i/

The reality is that we in the first world are very, very well off, compared to third world countries.

Again, this is mixing up wealth and income.

If you earn 50k a year between a couple, but own nothing, ie you spend it all and don't own a house or expensive art or car, then you are in the top 1% for income, but not wealth.

Wealth and income are different things.

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 13:52 ----------

alter the facts all you like, the report states 61 INDIVIDUALS own most of the wealth.

50%, not 'most'.

Nor is this about earning, it's about accrued wealth, not income.

The report was never about this country is richer than that country or that group of countries is richer than that group.

I happen to live in a country which is far richer than the 3rd world BUT the top earners in said country earn far more than me, and according to the report almost more than the rest of the entire world.

Thats not me being envious thats the fact, now you carry on hating the EU and foriegners, blaming them for all the ills :hihi::thumbsup:

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 13:44 ----------

its not about me, ENG brought me into it

I've altered no facts. Look at the top of your screen, at your words.

1% of the world population own 82% of the wealth

You started this thread with either a lie or the wrong information. Either way it is wrong, and you are probably still wealthier than 99% of people on the planet. Stop worrying about what other people have got and put some energy into making other people better off. Maybe start with yourself if you're only a top 1.5% instead of a top 1%er.

Class war my arse. You're just jealous.

Edited by AmberLeaf

ENG601 is mixing up income and wealth, but he's probably right about many of us being in that 1%.

I'm not mixing anything up. I take your point as well meant but I've held back from splitting that particular hair because it would blow the mind of some people even before we start talking about debt etc. The annual Credit Suisse report is essentially about income for the previous year, and it is released just before the WE Forum in Davos which CS are deeply involved in, hence Oxfam's PR just before the event. It's all political posturing and distortion of statistics for various political purposes.But as I said, I refrained from getting into that for obvious reasons.

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 14:01 ----------

I know I'm fortunate, I don't need the likes of you to drill it in to me, thank you very much

I can completely believe that. it's really sickening isn't it !

For income

£25300/year (net) is sufficient to be in the top 1%.

http://www.globalrichlist.net/

I can't find a global calculator for wealth position, although I found ones for the UK and the US.

For income

£25300/year (net) is sufficient to be in the top 1%.

http://www.globalrichlist.net/

I can't find a global calculator for wealth position, although I found ones for the UK and the US.

I presume not many of us are in the same league as the trumps or the rothschilds?

I'm not mixing anything up. I take your point as well meant but I've held back from splitting that particular hair because it would blow the mind of some people even before we start talking about debt etc.

It's not splitting hairs at all, wealth and income are really quite different.

A 20 year old (lets say a very lucky one) working for google and earning £1,000,000 a year isn't wealthy. Not on day one of employment, or day 30.

They are well into the top 1% of income in the UK, but in terms of wealth, they have practically nothing.

A pensioner on a moderate pension of 20,000 a year isn't even in the top decile in the UK (they're still close to top 1% worldwide), in income terms.

But they might well be sitting in a house worth £1,000,000 in London, paid for years ago.

They have far more wealth than the 20 year old (although he's in a position to surpass them within a few years if he's sensible).

And a more average couple in Sheffield in a 300k house with a 200k mortgage and a household income of 50k. Well into the top 1% income wise (globally), but they have only 100k in wealth (plus maybe a bit more in a car and a few bits and bobs, savings, pension pot, etc).

I presume not many of us are in the same league as the trumps or the rothschilds?

No, but there are billions of people on the planet who don't own a single thing.

So you're doing a lot better than they are if you own a property.

I guess in the UK, for the majority of people the assets to consider would be property (minus mortgage), pension pot, savings and investments.

I don't see how the distinction between wealth and income is pointless, when the thread is supposed to be about wealth, but several people were talking about income.

They're different things. Best to establish that clearly and early.

Post(s) have been removed because they could be considered to breach our Terms of Service or Forum Rules.

The personal attacks can cease now . If it starts up again then I will be issuing suspensions.