Horse livery yards stress-o-rama! Please help me find somewhere nr S8!

Hi all,

My mare has been at her current livery yard for 3 years but it's really far from my house. As a result, I can visit a max of 4 times a week and have her on 5 day full.

Since she has recently been diagnosed with arthritis, I'd like to move her closer to me in S8 so that I can ride more frequently for shorter periods (to keep her supple).

Problem is trying to find somewhere that has the right balance of what we need:

• school - to ride after work when too dark/icy for hacking, preferably with decent and even surface
  • excellent off-road hacking (preferably without loads of cyclists) - probably the majority of what we will be doing now
  • turnout - must be all year, and preferably 24/7 at least through summer
  • reasonable size stable so she can move around and not get stiff, preferably not American barn style
  • Assisted or full livery if poss - intensive and unpredictable job :(

I know I'm asking for the moon on a stick! :roll: I've visited several places and so far like Handley Equestrian (Butchersick Farm), Brook Barn and Newfields best. However, each of these places has it's drawbacks, most common being turnout! Is it better to keep my arthritic horse at her current yard which does all year turnout and 24/7 in summer with 4x per week exercise, or move her somewhere that turns out all year but never overnight with 5-6x per week exercise?? Still to visit Lightwood but apparently v long waiting list so horse might be dead before I got there anyway! *sigh*

Any thoughts about yards, including those mentioned would be appreciated as I am driving myself :loopy: here! Or advice on which is most important; turnout vs riding.

Thanks in advance!

Turnout is the more important in my opinion. If she can keep moving herself, I doubt riding will particularly help. Have you tried turmeric for her arthritis? Works well for me and one of my geldings.

Mansion house would suit your needs but there is a waiting list at the moment

I'm on a yard that offers 24/7 turnout all year? There's an outdoor school, And miles of off road hacking.

I live in S8 and the yard is about 10 min drive away for me

Is this somewhere you have found or would like to find similar?