Jogging in the road

I noticed an older guy jogging in the road a cople of nights ago, he had on a headlamp, but no rear lights anywhere and was wearing all black, I just thought he's wasn't the brightest spark.

If he runs facing the traffic, or on the pavement then it won't be a problem will it.

I run with a headtorch, no rear light. Although sometimes I carry a torch which I can obviously turn around.

There have been lots of people walking in the road this week as the road is less icy than the pavement! Could that have been the reason?

Rivelin Valley Road doesn't have a cycle lane...

Are you sure about that.....

I ride up there a lot and there is a cycle lane on both sides

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 17:58 ----------

It doesn't have a cycle lane. It has an area to the left that is orange, and full of debris.

I'm pretty sure the cycle lane is white and yes it is full of debri

It's not a cycle lane though.

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 18:03 ----------

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.384172,-1.5488943,3a,75y,60.8h,76.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5yBn1ypo4menNN_FLamj2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You can see it here, I think it used to be coloured, although it isn't now. But nowhere is there a sign to indicate a cycle lane, nor any on the road cycles painted.

Much like infirmary road, where the pink bit to the edge is also not a cycle lane.

It's not a cycle lane though.

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 18:03 ----------

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.384172,-1.5488943,3a,75y,60.8h,76.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5yBn1ypo4menNN_FLamj2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You can see it here, I think it used to be coloured, although it isn't now. But nowhere is there a sign to indicate a cycle lane, nor any on the road cycles painted.

Much like infirmary road, where the pink bit to the edge is also not a cycle lane.

That is an old photo the road has been newly tarmac'd and new lines put on.

All cyclist's use it as a cycle lane and cars also recognise it as a cycle lane although it has not been sign posted as one.

Cycle lane or not it is safer to ride in it than on the other side of the line and many runners use it to for running to.

The problem is the amount of crap that gets on it but it is surrounded by trees and branches fall off in storms. If it was cleaned now and again then it is a great cycle lane to use

If he runs facing the traffic, or on the pavement then it won't be a problem will it.

I run with a headtorch, no rear light. Although sometimes I carry a torch which I can obviously turn around.

He was running with the traffic, it would only take someone distracted for a moment to wipe him out, headphones were in, he paid very little notice of his surroundings as he past me.

He was running with the traffic, it would only take someone distracted for a moment to wipe him out, headphones were in, he paid very little notice of his surroundings as he past me.

Though I understand why runners wear headphones they are dangerous if running on roads.

There fine for off road running as running and cycling can be a lonely existence .

Though I understand why runners wear headphones they are dangerous if running on roads.

There fine for off road running as running and cycling can be a lonely existence .

Is it any worse than playing loud music in the car?

At least in the car you've the benefit of mirrors.

All cyclist's use it as a cycle lane and cars also recognise it as a cycle lane although it has not been sign posted as one.

Cycle lane or not it is safer to ride in it than on the other side of the line and many runners use it to for running to.

The problem is the amount of crap that gets on it but it is surrounded by trees and branches fall off in storms. If it was cleaned now and again then it is a great cycle lane to use

I don't, as it's not a cycle lane and it's full of debris! A cycle lane wouldn't have a rumble strip to cross to get in and out of it...

It isn't a cycle lane, simply because there is no order to make it one, nor I suspect was it ever supposed to be one.

It's also full of debris, so no sensible cyclist would use it.

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 22:13 ----------

Well, that sounds less than sensible.

Although how you can tell how much attention he was paying I'm not sure.

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 22:13 ----------

Much worse. Hearing a car as a cyclist or pedestrian could easily save your life. It's very much less useful in a car which is enclosed and making a lot of noise itself.

I was always taught as a child to walk facing traffic,much easier to see any potential danger and to take action to get out of the way.It always gets to me when i see walkers at an age to know better walking on the wrong side when i am out walking in the peak district.