The way things used to be .

Taking a knife to Mother's dumplings was rewarded with a rap on the knuckles. Use a fork & spoon was the order.

Taking a knife to Mother's dumplings was rewarded with a rap on the knuckles. Use a fork & spoon was the order.

Same thing happened with us. Was told it made dumplings go sad. Still will not cut a dumpling with a knife.

We had some mucky weekly papers at the time when Great Britain was the place where the rest of the World looked to in the arts, theatre, music and football. The Revalie ,The Tit Bits, The News Of The World and Men Only among others come to mind ,they all had racy stories about lads and lasses messing about in hay stacks and showing their undies etc. The adverts would show Jane Russell or Sabrina advertising under clothes for the lady,s while others would encourage the lads to build up muscles like Charles Atlas or smoke Woodbine like Humphrey Bogart did while steering a boat up the Amazon and dodging poisoned arrows blown at him by little blokes in grass skirts .

I considered reporting my parents for cruelty by making me listen to Sing Something Simple every Sunday

t

o

t

e

n

I considered reporting my parents for cruelty by making me listen to Sing Something Simple every Sunday

Oh yes

With a good helping of the New Seekers paying on the stereogram and Googie Withers (Within these walls) on the telly.

Now I know why I left home at 16... I blame Googie!! :hihi:

The Black and White Minstrel Show ............. Boring ! Boring ! Boring ! :gag:

Whip and top,every kid was mad on playing whip and top.

A stick with a piece of string attached would be wrapped around a top shaped like a up side down acorn or a tizer bottle top and then whipped away so as the top spun like summat not reight!.

We made flights ,they consisted of a small tree branch cut to about one foot six inches long sharpend to a point at one end and a flight made out of stiff paper at the other , again string was involved ,we would tie a special knot around the flight end of the stick wrap the other end of the string around our wrist then take our arm back as far as it would go and throw the blinkin thing miles into the air .

A few kids lost an eye or two due to Harold type injuries back then but non of em ever got bored on a tablet.

A stick with a piece of string attached would be wrapped around a top shaped like a up side down acorn or a tizer bottle top and then whipped away so as the top spun like summat not reight!.

We made flights ,they consisted of a small tree branch cut to about one foot six inches long sharpend to a point at one end and a flight made out of stiff paper at the other , again string was involved ,we would tie a special knot around the flight end of the stick wrap the other end of the string around our wrist then take our arm back as far as it would go and throw the blinkin thing miles into the air .

A few kids lost an eye or two due to Harold type injuries back then but non of em ever got bored on a tablet.

The best whip I had was a leather lace, by heck you got some leverage with that, nearly broke many a window. Also, we used to chalk the top of our tops to make patterns as they spun round. The mushroom shaped tops were the lightest and the heavy weight ones were the "winda breakers", as Albert says, like a big acorn.

We used to "share" a pair of roller skates (bought as a birthday present), a book on each skate and then find the best hill in the area to race down.

Rounders with about 16 kids playing, football and cricket with oversize teams, it didn't matter about rules, everyone joined in. We played hide and seek which involved going as far away as Meersbrook Park, took hours to find each other!

Regards,

Duffems

Remember the arrows Albert, blimey did"nt they just fly..also the catapults we made, then the bow and arrows, and the peashooters from natural resources found in woolley woods, very talented us kids back then.

Remember the arrows Albert, blimey did"nt they just fly..also the catapults we made, then the bow and arrows, and the peashooters from natural resources found in woolley woods, very talented us kids back then.

Conkers were the best. I had a 1'' ball bearing drilled by an uncle and painted brown, never lost a match up at school, until a teacher spotted it and said he would not blow the whistle on me if I let him confiscate it. Spoilsport, I could have made the national championships.:hihi:

Conkers were the best. I had a 1'' ball bearing drilled by an uncle and painted brown, never lost a match up at school, until a teacher spotted it and said he would not blow the whistle on me if I let him confiscate it. Spoilsport, I could have made the national championships.:hihi:

I was the proud owner of a King Conker...…

Glad I did"nt meet you, cheating git.

Pineapples came in chunks in a tin, nobody ever saw a real one.

Back in the 50s, Salvin (I think he was called) drove his horse-pulled covered wagon stocked with fruit and veg around Walkley, and after dark the kids would follow behind and try to nick pineapples and other fruit off the back.