The way things used to be .

Corporation paraffin road lamps with red/orange lenses I think, they were a precursor to the battery-powered flashing orange cones.

The little chrome parking lamp that showed red light to the rear and white to the front. The window would be wound up trapping it in place at the top.

On 21/01/2018 at 19:57, Basalt said:

Seem to remember my mum having days for tasks. Something like

Monday - washday

Tuesday - ironing

Wednesday - shopping and remember it's early closing

Thursday - cleaning

Friday - baking

Saturday was bath night

Sunday - rest

I'm sure others will fill in the gaps with their schedule

Yes, we had a variation on that. Point is that everybody seemingly everywhere did similar and watched the same tv programmes on one of a very small number of tv channels , eg Morecambe and Wise, Parkinson, MOTD. 

I still think of those days in a sort of black and white.

Such is life. That said, I don’t hold any rose tinted sucrose nostalgia for those days

On 21/06/2023 at 17:20, Dreb48 said:

Im  sure it all changed with the introduction of First and Second Class Post .

When I was a SubPostmaster it was always cheaper to send a greetings card abroad if it was unsealed 

Ah, the strategic art of mailing greetings cards abroad. Unsealed for savings, huh? It's like playing a clever game of postal chess, outsmarting the system to save a few pennies. Who would have thought that leaving a card unsealed could be the secret to international mailing economy? It's all about finding those creative loopholes in the postage world. Keep on mastering the art of cost-effective greetings!

• Like 1

My best memory is playning with my friends in the cornfield when I lived on Deerlands Ave we lived opposite the now park entrance.. Before they turned it into a park. Used to have some great fun. Especially when the corn had cut.  We pile all the cut corn into massive piles and dive into it. Them were the days. 

On 30/06/2023 at 17:05, carosio said:

Corporation paraffin road lamps with red/orange lenses I think, they were a precursor to the battery-powered flashing orange cones.

The little chrome parking lamp that showed red light to the rear and white to the front. The window would be wound up trapping it in place at the top.

I still have my parking light and it still works!

1 hour ago, dsweetman said:

Can you remember where it was usually plugged in?

13 minutes ago, carosio said:

Can you remember where it was usually plugged in?

Good question Mr. C.

I can remember my parking light..

I seem to think it was attached to the battery somehow.

On 23/06/2023 at 10:33, Organgrinder said:

Turns out it's not trastrick who's clever,  it's just his phone.

Clever?  :)

Everybody knows it's not tools that are clever,  but how one uses them. Everybody can have the same tools.

Some use them to organize the next protest march, or stick themselves to an airport runway, or a Mona Lisa.

Others use them to sculpt a David, or a Pieta!

il_1588xN.1683092054_e98s.jpg

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Padders said:

Good question Mr. C.

I can remember my parking light..

I seem to think it was attached to the battery somehow.

Think there might have been some cars equipped with a 2-pin socket, but most probably connected direct to battery as you say. Some makes were chromed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254320153926?hash=item3b36a99546:g:0aQAAOSw78hdRqac&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0OP9KcFyDzEd5VQzMWxViGRnKpupTGIhzROHTzyrblnLRzDMzROa4PxVuDJ7LZUU7%2BaJQsG5SztD0ygHK3%2BHT%2BAeA%2Bi3La%2Fjt7i%2FvC1IumQmINXBDg4MsSna59Vcf3kREBdom%2BkN7xPrphfBAYM6Wwp2QDfEDW8vg%2Flt8aMGwKEHfsTqTysYrgi8CBTuyvRhw48U8w6Fg0uFXK%2FhT%2FS8OIiFAFOQus1Duqy0zPLZ3cyFnYH0GG%2BOxa9E9qGQYOnQKZyGjMBaVGa4Mh64vP6%2FVfs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6iGpIKtYg

Edited by carosio
  • Thanks 1

I used to have a motorbike and sidecar. Parking light attached straight to the battery

21 hours ago, dsweetman said:

2 pin socket on the dashboard of my 1946 hillman minx

In my first job in the 1960s my wage was £3.

After giving my mother my board I probably had  £1 to save and £1 to spend.

With only having one £1 note did we use a wallet or carry our note(s) loose in our pocket along with coins. ?