The way things used to be .

Lots of folks who had no garden had an allotment, so you could pinch rhubarb at will lol. In the summer we would leave home at the crack of dawn and not come home until teatime, lived on Rhubarb, crab apples, blackberries, gooseberries and turnips from the fields.except for the blackberries, all the other stuff would be pinched. There were also plenty of dock leaves around to wipe yer bum if you took short during the outing.

Ha Ha Ha, True.

As a kid my mam used to send me to the old Wordsworth Tavern every Sunday while she was cooking the dinner. I was sent with a empty Tizer bottle to get her a pint of dinner ale whatever that was from the off sales, and she drank it while she was doing the dinner waiting for dad from the Beagle.

Remember when everyone had rhubarb growing in the garden.. a stick of rhubarb, and a bag of sugar to dip it in.

Show off, I used to dream of a bag for my sugar, used to have to put mine in a piece of newspaper and tie it like the blue bags of salt in a bag of crisps. :P

What soft ayepaths you lads were..... I ate my rhubarb without sugar. :hihi:

Did anyone have cocoa powder with sugar in a bag?

What about coltsfoot sticks and licorice root, it lasted ages that stuff!

Regards,

Duffems

mmm liquorice root, used to buy it from the herbal shop near the peace gardens in the 60s.

mmm liquorice root, used to buy it from the herbal shop near the peace gardens in the 60s.

Didn,t liquorice root used to be a staple crop grown in the Wakefield area years ago?.As a kid I loved it it was cheap to buy and I would chew and suck it until was reduced to shreds,another favourite of mine when I was flush with dosh was Highland toffee with the picture of a long haired highland cow on it!.Also can anyone remember herbal cigarettes they weren,t too bad either all purchased from the beer off at the bottom of Farfield Road,he sold single cigs to us schoolkids he would be sent to hell nowadays for it now how times have changed!.

Edited by old tup
missed word

Didn,t liquorice root used to be a staple crop grown in the Wakefield area years ago?.As a kid I loved it it was cheap to buy and I would chew and suck it until was reduced to shreds,another favourite of mine when I was flush with dosh was Highland toffee with the picture of a long haired highland cow on it!.Also can anyone remember herbal cigarettes they weren,t too bad either all purchased from the beer off at the bottom of Farfield Road,he sold single cigs to us schoolkids he would be sent to hell nowadays for it now how times have changed!.

mcCowans highland toffee

mcCowans highland toffee

++++++++++:

Edited by MR FOX

Talking of fags for schoolkids, I seem to remember some small cigs in a paper packet called Dominos, can't remember if I ever smoked them though. The joysticks fags were popular with kids too, about 6" long. you could cut them down to small enough lengths for a quick drag in the bogs.

I remember Woodbines sold in paper packets of ten the cigs of choice for us as kids was Park Drive,down sarf it was Players Weights!.Remember Craven A,Turf with the unicorn on the packet,our old boy smoked Capstan full strength my mother said he used to cough sparks,they were the strongest cigs you could buy!!.

I remember Woodbines sold in paper packets of ten the cigs of choice for us as kids was Park Drive,down sarf it was Players Weights!.Remember Craven A,Turf with the unicorn on the packet,our old boy smoked Capstan full strength my mother said he used to cough sparks,they were the strongest cigs you could buy!!.

Weren't the paper packets for fives?

Weren't the paper packets for fives?

Correct I wasn't,t sure it was five,the grey matter has failed me again Jim!.:help: