The way things used to be .

Can't remember much from the mag, but here goes with stuff that has stayed with me for 50 years..

Q, What is the definition of an Israelite? / A, Jewish Lamp

Q, What does this mean "Berragerrusandsweshed"? A, Something a Sheffielder says just before snap time.

Daft names for people. Walter Wallcarpet

Purile but very funny.

Yes remember rag day and the mag . Was a good day was that , didn't the raggers go around the pubs and clubs in the evening collecting .

Pyjama jump?

Think some of the mags humour would be far too close to the edge for todays politically correct society .Back then it was very funny to all I think .

Sat here on a snowy Sunday I have thinking about how things used to be.

So I will start with that very day that was so precious to most Sheffield folk in the not to distant past .

Sunday was the day that almost all of us had the day of from work, it was the day to relax , to visit loved ones , to have a couple of pints in the pub or club before sitting down to a traditional dinner ,a dinner always inc a Yorkshire pudding that we all used to boast about as it almost knocked the oven door off when it raised and was ready .

The pudding was always eaten before the main dinner ,a meal that always inc two or three veg plus potatoes and a Sunday joint bought from the local butcher or the Meat Market.

All this was topped of by a big pot of onion gravy and mint sauce and the meal was the high light of every ones week as it involved the whole family sitting down at the table and actually conversing with each other.

After dinner while us kids washed the pots ,Mam and Dad would nip up stairs for a well earned rest :hihi: re entering the fray just as Stars on Sunday was tuned in on the T.V.

That was also the time when the luncheon meat sandwiches and cream cake from Davies was passed around and washed down with a strong mug of tea.

Sunday was a time when all the shops were closed ,when the pubs closed at 2P.M. and all the factories shut down on a Saturday lunch time giving hard working family's time to rest and enjoy family life to the full .

Football matches were played and were played in on a Saturday and that day was also special as we all eagerly listened for the results and checked our pools hoping to have won the seventy five thousand that would have made every day a Sunday.

Any more how things used to be memories .

You ought to have a look at "Sunday dinner radio memories" on You Tube it says it all!

Talking about how things were, what happened to Whitsuntide? Showing off our new clothes, parading up and down the street getting pennies from the neighbours, then the walk and Whit sing in the park. Only time of the year to get new clothes. Had to last as "best" til next year.

Whitsuntide eh!!!! what a time we had parading up and down in our new suit or frock and coat. the lads still in short trousers even when nearly time to leave school and start work down pit or int steelworks.

Your mam would have been paying into club book for the last twelve months or so, or perhaps she would obtain a Tali mans cheque from the local money lender who would then call every week to collect a shilling or one and a tanner depending on catching her in or not:hihi:.all so as you could parade around and show off along wi kids int posh houses on Gleadless Common .

We would call at uncles and aunts houses (how is it we all had dozens of uncles and aunts :hihi:) to show em our new togs along with polished shoes or boots that rubbed the skin raw around the ankles and always gave us big water blisters that we burst wi a pin that neet, our aunts would give us a penny or tuppence to go in the new coat pockets meaning we were of to the nearest spice shop for liquorish torpedo's or love hearts.

And then came the big parade starting at Gleadless Church and heading up Ridgeway Road to the Manor Top , In front was a local coal lorry all polished up and covered in flowers and sat in the midst was the May Queen usually the snooty noorsed local doctors or shop keepers daughter chosen because her dad was on the Council ,the lorry was followed by the banners , the boys brigade, the brownies, the steel and pit unions, the Air force and Army also the sea cadets bringing up the rear as usual.

Behind these marched the whole district singing and cheering ,waving and laughing at the very joy of being alive and involved in the whole shebang of noise and colour .

When we got to Manor Top the whole thing did an about turn and back down we went so as to end up outside the old church where old Sharpy the vicar would conduct a service and Hymn sing session after which we went home wi our mam while dad got blot owed int Heely and Sheffield House or Carlton Club.

Does anyone remember the University's rag days & the close to the nail magazine?

Here's an extract from my book (memoir):

"As was customary, the opening to the university year started in October with the Rag Parade—a Mardi Gras-style procession of floats and marchers, carried out by students dressed up in bizarre costumes. The parade, along with the events and pranks that the students carried out around the city in the week preceding it, were done to raise money for charities. One highlight of Rag Week was a beer race, in which the course consisted of a circuit of pubs, each a pit stop where a pint of ale had to be consumed. Then, there was a balloon race, in which members of the public paid to have gas-filled balloons launched, the one that travelled the farthest winning a prize for the purchaser.

The Beatnik Ball, held at the City Hall, was for genuine beatniks as well as those who wanted to imitate the genre. Just before the 1961 parade, the students pushed the envelope a little far when they kidnapped two Sheffield United football players, Joe and Graham Shaw, and held them overnight at one of the students' residences. The police were briefly involved in enabling the players to be released without charges being pressed.

The parade began on Western Bank at the university and wound its way downtown to the Town Hall, where the Lord Mayor stood proudly to greet it. People lined the streets and threw coins at the floats, all the monies going to charity. One float was fashioned as a Trojan Horse, another a Mississippi river steamer; one carried a mediaeval catapult, yet another offered a variety of goods, including a “do-it-yourself slave girl kit.” People were dressed up as doctors, nurses, ballet dancers, hockey players, Arab sheiks, and naturally, as beatniks... I stood outside Walsh’s store, went around the pubs, selling copies of the Twikker, a racy magazine put out by the students."

Here's an extract from my book (memoir):

"As was customary, the opening to the university year started in October with the Rag Parade—a Mardi Gras-style procession of floats and marchers, carried out by students dressed up in bizarre costumes. The parade, along with the events and pranks that the students carried out around the city in the week preceding it, were done to raise money for charities. One highlight of Rag Week was a beer race, in which the course consisted of a circuit of pubs, each a pit stop where a pint of ale had to be consumed. Then, there was a balloon race, in which members of the public paid to have gas-filled balloons launched, the one that travelled the farthest winning a prize for the purchaser.

The Beatnik Ball, held at the City Hall, was for genuine beatniks as well as those who wanted to imitate the genre. Just before the 1961 parade, the students pushed the envelope a little far when they kidnapped two Sheffield United football players, Joe and Graham Shaw, and held them overnight at one of the students' residences. The police were briefly involved in enabling the players to be released without charges being pressed.

The parade began on Western Bank at the university and wound its way downtown to the Town Hall, where the Lord Mayor stood proudly to greet it. People lined the streets and threw coins at the floats, all the monies going to charity. One float was fashioned as a Trojan Horse, another a Mississippi river steamer; one carried a mediaeval catapult, yet another offered a variety of goods, including a “do-it-yourself slave girl kit.” People were dressed up as doctors, nurses, ballet dancers, hockey players, Arab sheiks, and naturally, as beatniks... I stood outside Walsh’s store, went around the pubs, selling copies of the Twikker, a racy magazine put out by the students."

The politically correct brigade would soon put a stop to all that milarky these days.

Remember when everyone had rhubarb growing in the garden.. a stick of rhubarb, and a bag of sugar to dip it in.

Remember when everyone had rhubarb growing in the garden.. a stick of rhubarb, and a bag of sugar to dip it in.

Did every one have a garden Padders ?

Show off, I used to dream of a bag for my sugar, used to have to put mine in a piece of newspaper and tie it like the blue bags of salt in a bag of crisps. :P

Yep, they did were I lived. (shiregreen)

---------- Post added 11-05-2018 at 20:06 ----------

Show off, I used to dream of a bag for my sugar, used to have to put mine in a piece of newspaper and tie it like the blue bags of salt in a bag of crisps. :P

I said bag, it was"nt an actual bag of sugar, it was like you say some sugar in a makeshift bag.

Lots of folks who had no garden had an allotment, so you could pinch rhubarb at will lol. In the summer we would leave home at the crack of dawn and not come home until teatime, lived on Rhubarb, crab apples, blackberries, gooseberries and turnips from the fields.except for the blackberries, all the other stuff would be pinched. There were also plenty of dock leaves around to wipe yer bum if you took short during the outing.