The way things used to be .

I remember him opening Hackenthorpe Fete . He had his own caravan and us nippers sneaked up to the windows to see him . Constantly swigging something from a hip flask :) For some reason he loved Hackenthorpe and constantly referred to it as Royal Hackenthorpe :)

I remember him always in the Old Blue Bell at lunchtimes, mid-seventies. At least when I wasn't working away,and popped in on my off days he always seemed to be there.Some lads told me it was his weekday local.:D

I remember him always in the Old Blue Bell at lunchtimes, mid-seventies. At least when I wasn't working away,and popped in on my off days he always seemed to be there.Some lads told me it was his weekday local.:D

I think he was the radio presenter who used to drink in the Rose House at Walkley on occasions ,he had a walking stick with a bicycle bell attached ,he would ring the bell while walking on South Road.

I think he was the radio presenter who used to drink in the Rose House at Walkley on occasions ,he had a walking stick with a bicycle bell attached ,he would ring the bell while walking on South Road.

That's the man :)

The Sunday run !!!!! by that I mean the wonderful cycling clubs of the fifty's and sixty's that would meet at various spots around the City on a weekend to go on a run that would often take us over a hundred miles there and back into Derbyshire, Lincolnshire ,Staffordshire and Notts.

The clubs would gather at around nine A M .usually at an outskirt spot such as the four Lane ends at Norton ,they would then set off with some times up to seventy or eighty riders who's ages varied from around 13 or 14 years up to some in their 70's.

Sheffield Phoenix (my club) Sharrow (the oldest i believe) Rutland , Beighton Wheelers ,Dinnington and so on.

The run would often be into the hills of Derbyshire where every village sign would be sprinted for every hill a prize achievement for the first to reach the top .

No one was ever left behind with some one always waiting to give the younger members a push up them bloooody backbreaking hills that occurred every other mile out in the peaks.

The dinner stop was always the half way stage of any ride often out as far as Rudyard Lake in Staffs ,Lincoln, Cleethorpes or York.

In winter the nearer spots of Bakewell ,Matlock or Newark were far enough in the bad weather .

The ride home in winter was a brilliant experience as the long line of club members straddled the then near deserted roads ,back and front lamps from ever ready glowing away as the whole mob of riders joined in with the latest pop song of the day.

A ride into Derbyshire usually ended up at the Pewitt café at Holmsfield run by Mrs Thompson who would dish out steaming mugs of tea as well as beans on toast or poached eggs to happy but knackered riders.

The Pewitt was the place where we all left in two's and three's to make our own way home to whatever part of the City we live , It was a magic time to be alive and fit as a fiddle.

Sheffield had some great racing cyclists at that time , the national champion Ron Coe being one, Wes Mason ,Mick Coupe, Sid and Jim Wilson, Duggie Bond (another champion on the track was Duggie) George Shaw who managed many cycling semi pro teams at the time ,we even claimed Tom Simpson who although he was from Harworth would often join our groups on a Sunday run into the hills.

Sheffield had its own cycle frame makers ,( some of them may be still building the odd one or two) ,they included Sheffield Langsett (still on Infirmary Road), Wilson Cycles on City Road ,Butterworths on Abbeydale Road as well Thompson cycles on Heeley bottom.

The main bike shop at that time was Henry Holmes on London Road who stocked all the best bike frames from across the Country , Mercian , Holdsworth, along with the Raleigh competition bikes that were far superior to the bog standard bike the average person rode from that company.

A great era for cycling it was with roads not so crowded as today and the bike being the main means of transport for not only the club members but millions of others who used them for work and play.

Edited by Albert smith

The Sunday run !!!!! by that I mean the wonderful cycling clubs of the fifty's and sixty's that would meet at various spots around the City on a weekend to go on a run that would often take us over a hundred miles there and back into Derbyshire, Lincolnshire ,Staffordshire and Notts.

I knew it well for one weekend only. Bunkhouse near Newark, Rode with mates not really realising how far we were going and in the dark. Sang Batchelors

song Book. Terrifying as a 16 yr old. Not old enough to drink was given Mackeson? Stout by the club elders. Object of the day was a 25 mile time trial the following morning.

I was on pushing off duties with overpowering stench of "linanament?? in my face.

I knew it well for one weekend only. Bunkhouse near Newark, Rode with mates not really realising how far we were going and in the dark. Sang Batchelors

song Book. Terrifying as a 16 yr old. Not old enough to drink was given Mackeson? Stout by the club elders. Object of the day was a 25 mile time trial the following morning.

I was on pushing off duties with overpowering stench of "linanament?? in my face.

Was that in the Batchelor's songbook, "Peas Please Me?"

When TV programmes that were scheduled for an hour only had 2 x 2 minute intervals. Not like now, if you record a programme that is scheduled for an hour it has about 4 x 5 minute intervals you can see it through in about 40 minutes.

The clubs would gather at around nine A M .usually at an outskirt spot such as the four Lane ends at Norton ,they would then set off with some times up to seventy or eighty riders who's ages varied from around 13 or 14 years up to some in their 70's.

Sheffield Phoenix (my club) Sharrow (the oldest i believe) Rutland , Beighton Wheelers ,Dinnington and so on.

The run would often be into the hills of Derbyshire where every village sign would be sprinted for every hill a prize achievement for the first to reach the top .

No one was ever left behind with some one always waiting to give the younger members a push up them bloooody backbreaking hills that occurred every other mile out in the peaks.

The dinner stop was always the half way stage of any ride often out as far as Rudyard Lake in Staffs ,Lincoln, Cleethorpes or York.

In winter the nearer spots of Bakewell ,Matlock or Newark were far enough in the bad weather .

The ride home in winter was a brilliant experience as the long line of club members straddled the then near deserted roads ,back and front lamps from ever ready glowing away as the whole mob of riders joined in with the latest pop song of the day.

A ride into Derbyshire usually ended up at the Pewitt café at Holmsfield run by Mrs Thompson who would dish out steaming mugs of tea as well as beans on toast or poached eggs to happy but knackered riders.

The Pewitt was the place where we all left in two's and three's to make our own way home to whatever part of the City we live , It was a magic time to be alive and fit as a fiddle.

Sheffield had some great racing cyclists at that time , the national champion Ron Coe being one, Wes Mason ,Mick Coupe, Sid and Jim Wilson, Duggie Bond (another champion on the track was Duggie) George Shaw who managed many cycling semi pro teams at the time ,we even claimed Tom Simpson who although he was from Harworth would often join our groups on a Sunday run into the hills.

Sheffield had its own cycle frame makers ,( some of them may be still building the odd one or two) ,they included Sheffield Langsett (still on Infirmary Road), Wilson Cycles on City Road ,Butterworths on Abbeydale Road as well Thompson cycles on Heeley bottom.

The main bike shop at that time was Henry Holmes on London Road who stocked all the best bike frames from across the Country , Mercian , Holdsworth, along with the Raleigh competition bikes that were far superior to the bog standard bike the average person rode from that company.

A great era for cycling it was with roads not so crowded as today and the bike being the main means of transport for not only the club members but millions of others who used them for work and play.

Not forgetting Malcolm Elliot who rode for Raleigh in the Tour De France ,he was also the points winner in the Tour of Spain ,Malcolm was a big name on the Continent ,his sporting achievements should have got him a star on the pavement out side the Town Hall along with Ernest Mills who was the World Tandem rider record holder for many years.

Ernest was a little mester in the Cutlery trade .

---------- Post added 29-03-2018 at 19:44 ----------

Swapping comics, that was a favorite pastime in our district.

My favorite comic of all time was The Eagle the first glossy comic ever with its story's of Flash Gordon savior of the Universe , along with Dan Dare this comic was light years in front of the rest .

It used to arrive at our house every Friday hidden in me dads snap bag , he always said that they'd run out of em that week and made me scuttle around shouting and showing off before demanding I kiss his brussly chin before he handed over the magical weekly delight.

Apart from the Eagle we got the Beano and Dandy all read from cover to cover by the Family , Beryl the Peril, corky the cat, Desperate Dan , Billy Bunter along with many other long forgotten characters kept us in stiches and provided hours of entertainment.

Apart from the favorites we also managed to store up the Westerns , these being comics about the antics of cow boys and Indians in the Wild West , Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp , Doc Holiday, Calamity Jane, Hopolong Cassidy and Sitting Bull fascinated us kids who would then go out and impersonate our heroes slapping our arses as we ran around the block pretending we were riding Trigger or Silver.

But to get back to the swapping of our comics ,this worked like this ,when yours had been fully read by the whole family you would gather them up and run around to a near neighbor who you knew took a different publication to you ,knock on the door and ask if they had any swaps , you would often be invited in to peruse the pile of also read comics or cowboy picture books that they had finished with.

Then the swap would take place and Eagle for a Superman , A Hotsper for a Toppy and so on.

These swaps ensured that we never missed a publication of any comic or magazine and made us readers of books and newspapers for life.

In the old Sheaf Market there was also a comic swapping stall where you could swap the much prized American mags for one that you hadn't read the lass on the stall would charge you a penny or tuppence for doing the swap depending on the comics condition , the rarer ones would be more expensive and often not for us kids to have.

The down side to all this comic swapping was that if one family had an ailment ,you know scarlet fever, German Measles ,whooping cough or nits then these bugs would transfer them selves to a new home hidden in the warm pages along with Dan Dare and Billy Bunter.

A truly sharing time it was.

---------- Post added 29-03-2018 at 19:47 ----------

Not forgetting Malcolm Elliot who rode for Raleigh in the Tour De France ,he was also the points winner in the Tour of Spain ,Malcolm was a big name on the Continent ,his sporting achievements should have got him a star on the pavement out side the Town Hall along with Ernest Mills who was the World Tandem rider record holder for many years.

Ernest was a little mester in the Cutlery trade .

---------- Post added 29-03-2018 at 19:44 ----------

Swapping comics, that was a favorite pastime in our district.

My favorite comic of all time was The Eagle the first glossy comic ever with its story's of Flash Gordon savior of the Universe , along with Dan Dare this comic was light years in front of the rest .

It used to arrive at our house every Friday hidden in me dads snap bag , he always said that they'd run out of em that week and made me scuttle around shouting and showing off before demanding I kiss his brussly chin before he handed over the magical weekly delight.

Apart from the Eagle we got the Beano and Dandy all read from cover to cover by the Family , Beryl the Peril, corky the cat, Desperate Dan , Billy Bunter along with many other long forgotten characters kept us in stiches and provided hours of entertainment.

Apart from the favorites we also managed to store up the Westerns , these being comics about the antics of cow boys and Indians in the Wild West , Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp , Doc Holiday, Calamity Jane, Hopolong Cassidy and Sitting Bull fascinated us kids who would then go out and impersonate our heroes slapping our arses as we ran around the block pretending we were riding Trigger or Silver.

But to get back to the swapping of our comics ,this worked like this ,when yours had been fully read by the whole family you would gather them up and run around to a near neighbor who you knew took a different publication to you ,knock on the door and ask if they had any swaps , you would often be invited in to peruse the pile of also read comics or cowboy picture books that they had finished with.

Then the swap would take place and Eagle for a Superman , A Hotsper for a Toppy and so on.

These swaps ensured that we never missed a publication of any comic or magazine and made us readers of books and newspapers for life.

In the old Norfolk Market there was also a comic swapping stall where you could swap the much prized American mags for one that you hadn't read the lass on the stall would charge you a penny or tuppence for doing the swap depending on the comics condition , the rarer ones would be more expensive and often not for us kids to have.

The down side to all this comic swapping was that if one family had an ailment ,you know scarlet fever, German Measles ,whooping cough or nits then these bugs would transfer them selves to a new home hidden in the warm pages along with Dan Dare and Billy Bunter.

A truly sharing time it was.

Not forgetting the Bunty:hihi:

Edited by Albert smith
norfolk market not sheaf

I remember the comic swapping stall in the rag n tag and later the castle market very well. My favourite in the 60s was spider man but i could'nt bear to part with them by swapping. Still got them all!!!.

LOn the buses

---------- Post added 12-04-2018 at 14:32 ----------

On the buses eh!!, Those smoke belching stuttering Sheffield Corporation chariots that were most people's mode of transport in the not to distant past , Leyland's ,EMC's ,Routmasters etc some with engines made by Gardner's in Patricroft Manchester ,engines that ran for ever ,some still running today World wide.

Who can forget returning home from work on those full to the gunnels work horses as they plied the hills and dales of our City , the open back step on with a chrome pole in the middle that could be grabbed to hop aboard even when the bus was moving in traffic or on a steep hill.

The top deck withe every seat occupied by a smoker of Woodbine or Park drive ,windows pulled wide open to let out the fire and brimstone as the bus traversed East Bank ,Duke Street or Common side resembling a moving dragon within the smoke and steam from engine and occupants bellowing out on a foggy day in March or April.

The last bus home that must be caught after the Town boozers had chucked us out would leave Pond Street or Bridge Street 10_ 30 pm on the dot , lots of sing song ,laughter and feights as we made our way

home to the out skirts at Gleadless ,Parsons Cross or Attercliffe , if you missed it then walk no money for taxies back then Shankar's pony for you followed by a thick ear from your mam or a cold back from your beloved unless of course you called at the chip oil to get her a rissole as a piece offering .��

Edited by Albert smith

Yeh good days Albert many a time I had to walk home from Wybourne to Firth Park , through Wicker and up Burngreave Road never saw much trouble , maybe because I was a bit drunk but wouldn't dare do that walk now , sober or otherwise

Talking about how things were, what happened to Whitsuntide? Showing off our new clothes, parading up and down the street getting pennies from the neighbours, then the walk and Whit sing in the park. Only time of the year to get new clothes. Had to last as "best" til next year.