The way things used to be .

MY Mrs as just piped up with Jubilee Jubilee suites me and followed up with new Oxydoll Oxydoll washes whiter than bleach, and gold topped it of with Drink a pint of milk a day.

Guiness is good for you .

MY Mrs as just piped up with Jubilee Jubilee suites me and followed up with new Oxydoll Oxydoll washes whiter than bleach, and gold topped it of with Drink a pint of milk a day.

How could we ever forget Bernard Miles? "Ah Mackeson, looks good, tastes good and by golly it does you good" :D

Also" A Double Damond works wonders so drink one today" Then Ind Coope came up with a more famous one for DD, " I'm only here for the beer";)

"Tetley bitter men, you can't beat 'em, so join'em" LOL

I hope you all don't think I only think of beer, by the way. I also remember people whispering in folks lugholes BO :hihi:

How could we ever forget Bernard Miles? "Ah Mackeson, looks good, tastes good and by golly it does you good" :D

Also" A Double Damond works wonders so drink one today" Then Ind Coope came up with a more famous one for DD, " I'm only here for the beer";)

"Tetley bitter men, you can't beat 'em, so join'em" LOL

I hope you all don't think I only think of beer, by the way. I also remember people whispering in folks lugholes BO :hihi:

Didn't Whitbread's or Worthington have a slogan for whatever pint of beer they were promoting-mid 70's- 'It's what your right arm is for' ?

Didn't Whitbread's or Worthington have a slogan for whatever pint of beer they were promoting-mid 70's- 'It's what your right arm is for' ?

That was for originally for Courage's Tavern, but I think they were part of the Worthington network.

Arthur Askey: something (can't remember), scrumptious, simply heaven, 12 for only 1/7.. Penguins.

That was for originally for Courage's Tavern, but I think they were part of the Worthington network.

Yes I recall Worthington 'E', was that the same one ? And Courage,weren't they a 'Landan' brewery ? Cor blimey gavner !

---------- Post added 28-02-2018 at 22:17 ----------

Arthur Askey: something (can't remember), scrumptious, simply heaven, 12 for only 1/7.. Penguins.

I will send you a few Quid if you will agree to keep Arthur Askey or even Max Bygraves out of this discussion.

Edited by St Petre
add

Yes I recall Worthington 'E', was that the same one ? And Courage,weren't they a 'Landan' brewery ? Cor blimey gavner !

---------- Post added 28-02-2018 at 22:17 ----------

I will send you a few Quid if you will agree to keep Arthur Askey or even Max Bygraves out of this discussion.

Courage was a southern brewery, but they had Tavern available at a lot of northern pubs. I lived up High Green for a while in the 70's and the Bridge Inn at Charltonbrook bottom had it on. They also introduced a more robust darker beer called North Country. Courage's Tavern was a typical southern type of beer a bit like Worthington E, draught Double Diamond and Watney's red barrel.

Courage was a southern brewery, but they had Tavern available at a lot of northern pubs. I lived up High Green for a while in the 70's and the Bridge Inn at Charltonbrook bottom had it on. They also introduced a more robust darker beer called North Country. Courage's Tavern was a typical southern type of beer a bit like Worthington E, draught Double Diamond and Watney's red barrel.

Yes Mr.T but where were Courages' products brewed, in the chalk ridden waters of the London area or did they ever come to God's (and Geoff Boycott's) county ?

---------- Post added 28-02-2018 at 23:14 ----------

Yes Mr.T but where were Courages' products brewed, in the chalk ridden waters of the London area or did they ever come to God's (and Geoff Boycott's) county ?

And of course, "The Milky Bar kid is strong and tough". And they would never get ads for "OMO" on the telly today:o By the way, could you ever tell Stork from butter, I could by a mile lol

Edited by Ontarian1981

"Lets look at thi runners" .

Todays walk in the hills above Sheffield reminded me of winter sledging times past.

I saw more people out in the fresh air than I see in July or August and most of em were dragging little plastic sledges bought from Aldi or Lidl .

As I said i got thinking about sledging in yesteryear when we all competed to build the best biggest ,highest ,longist sledge on the estate .

The whole rigmarole would start with uncle Bill or Fred pinching two lengths of flat or half round steel bar from English steel or Jessop Saviles .

They would smuggle the bar past the gate man at said works by shoving it down their trouser leg with the last couple of foot sticking inside their gabardine rain coat.

These bars were always pinched around the end of November as snow was always guaranteed at that time of year and would sometimes last till March.

So the irons were heated in the Yorkshire range and bent into two majestic matching curved ends , these irons were then matched up with the cut down battens pinched from the local building site that had been shaped into runners that resembled the sledges we had seen in pictures of Eskimos in Alaska .

Laths were nailed cross ways ,then the rails drilled and screwed to the runners making the sledge big enough for two or three to sit on and weighing about three hundred weight.

So when all was assembled ,rope attached we set off for local slag heap and took life and limb in our hands as we hurtled down these mini mountains at speeds that had to be seen to be believed due to the weight and precision of the fitted irons

The next day as we all assembled for round two you would hear the words "lets look at thi runners " this was to see who's were the shiniest as having the shiniest irons was a real badge of honor. .

In't summer the opposite happened when trolley's were built with wheels pinched from old prams biguns ont back and a little pair ont front but that's another story.

Edited by Albert smith

It's easy girls, boys know what's meant

When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

---------- Post added 28-02-2018 at 17:34 ----------

A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play.

I'm the Mother in Mothers Pride, you know. They named it after me. (Thora Hird bread ad).

Go to work on an egg.

I'm the Mother in Mothers Pride, you know. They named it after me. (Thora Hird bread ad).

Go to work on an egg.

Typhoo put the T in Britain.

Homepride flour grader, grades every grain.:cool:

You'll look a little lovelier each day with fabulous pink Camay. :love:

Because the lady loves Milk Tray.

Have a break, have a Kit Kat.

Hands that do dishes can feel as soft as your face.:gag: