The way things used to be .

In the DR we can get a local version of fish n chips, so it's not too bad, but in Toronto, just up the street from me you can get small dry (not a speck of jelly) locally made "pork pies", but like locally made pork sausages, they have taken out all the pork fat that used to drip down our chins when we bit into them.

The've changed the recipes for todays fussy eaters, everything is now fat free, gluten free, organic, soy free, nut free and taste free!

Today, everybody is allergic to something.

And in Barnsley Market you can get Pork dripping spread on a bread cake with brown juice that greases your tonsils .

You can also get it by the pound from the tripe stall , us lot in Barnsley rub it onto the little'ns chests when they have a cold its better than Vic.

And in Barnsley Market you can get Pork dripping spread on a bread cake with brown juice that greases your tonsils .

You can also get it by the pound from the tripe stall , us lot in Barnsley rub it onto the little'ns chests when they have a cold its better than Vic.

Not too keen on the brown juice you get in shop bought dripping I preferred the heavy black marmite tasting stuff, which sat on the bottom of the basin in homemade. Of course, I am talking about beef dripping.

Not too keen on the brown juice you get in shop bought dripping I preferred the heavy black marmite tasting stuff, which sat on the bottom of the basin in homemade. Of course, I am talking about beef dripping.

Marmite ? Which was like flavoured shoe polish !

Edited by stpetre
Spell

Mine was a Ford Cortina Mk2 1300. At night in winter or fog had to cover the engine with a rug or it wouldn't start following morning. Also had to put a note on the steering wheel saying "rug on engine" or it got quite messy. Re-set contact breaker every month to prevent pinking, other than that was a good car.

I had a better Cortina than you, obviously. Mine was a Mark III 2000 GXL. However, it wouldn't start in winter very easily. The automatic choke was prone to gas up the engine on a cold morning. The cure was to remove the spark plugs and put them in the Yorkshire range oven for a few minutes to warm up. I did that regularly and it worked every time.

Marmite ? Which was like flavoured shoe polish !

Never eaten shoe polish so I wouldn't know LOL

Apart from insurance man other callers inc a chap who wore a turban ,

This bloke was a sensation when us kids first set eyes on him in the 50's as he was probably the first man from the mysterious east that we had ever set eyes on.

Turban man would knock on the back door and as soon as the door was answered he would sling open his very large suit case offer his hands in prayer and tell you that he was selling the best silk shirts and stockings that money could buy.

Mam would be so taken aback by this instant sale gimmick that she would often just buy a pair of socks or a silk scarf just to get rid of this mysterious stranger from the east .

For weeks after when us kids misbehaved she would yell at us that if we din't behave that bloke wit turban would come and put us in his suit case ,which i suppose was the first introduction to racism that we had ever been presented with although no one ever considered ow't to be racism in them days .

Another caller round our way was a man called Piersey who had a shop on East Bank Road , Piersey was a fruit and veg man as well as a general grocer.

He started with a horse and cart in the early fifties before purchasing an old Bedford lorry ,this lorry had an open back with built up shelving were all the fruit and tinned goods were displayed , the house wives would go out into the Street when old Piersey rang his bell advertising his arrival on the Street.

Shopping bags would soon fill up with snap and the gossip would abound between the lasses and Piersey who knew evert thing worth knowing about every body on his round.

Piersey had a tick book where he would jot down any thing that your mam had had on the strap ,meaning that she could pay next week if she was a little short , this tick or strap could often go on for two or three weeks before old Piersey decided to put you on hold until his book was cleared.

He was a good bloke who although better off than most of his customers understood how things were at that time and must at times have lost out when people did a moon light without clearing the tick.

Then there was the rag man ,"Any owd ringo" he would shout "goldfish , balloons, chickens for rags".

All us kids would be scrambling around trying to find a pile of old clothes so as to get a goldfish or balloon from the rag man , this was often impossible as some of us were in fact wearing worse stuff than he had collected from the better areas he and his horse had passed through before getting to us .

---------- Post added 15-02-2018 at 20:48 ----------

I remember once my sister told me that mi mam was under doctor , I roored for hours thinking about mi poor owd mam under big fat Dr Billingsworth . I was around five at the time.

Edited by Albert smith

Apart from insurance man other callers inc a chap who wore a turban ,

This bloke was a sensation when us kids first set eyes on him in the 50's as he was probably the first man from the mysterious east that we had ever set eyes on.

Turban man would knock on the back door and as soon as the door was answered he would sling open his very large suit case offer his hands in prayer and tell you that he was selling the best silk shirts and stockings that money could buy.

Mam would be so taken aback by this instant sale gimmick that she would often just buy a pair of socks or a silk scarf just to get rid of this mysterious stranger from the east .

For weeks after when us kids misbehaved she would yell at us that if we din't behave that bloke wit turban would come and put us in his suit case ,which i suppose was the first introduction to racism that we had ever been presented with although no one ever considered ow't to be racism in them days .

Another caller round our way was a man called Piersey who had a shop on East Bank Road , Piersey was a fruit and veg man as well as a general grocer.

He started with a horse and cart in the early fifties before purchasing an old Bedford lorry ,this lorry had an open back with built up shelving were all the fruit and tinned goods were displayed , the house wives would go out into the Street when old Piersey rang his bell advertising his arrival on the Street.

Shopping bags would soon fill up with snap and the gossip would abound between the lasses and Piersey who knew evert thing worth knowing about every body on his round.

Piersey had a tick book where he would jot down any thing that your mam had had on the strap ,meaning that she could pay next week if she was a little short , this tick or strap could often go on for two or three weeks before old Piersey decided to put you on hold until his book was cleared.

He was a good bloke who although better off than most of his customers understood how things were at that time and must at times have lost out when people did a moon light without clearing the tick.

Then there was the rag man ,"Any owd ringo" he would shout "goldfish , balloons, chickens for rags".

All us kids would be scrambling around trying to find a pile of old clothes so as to get a goldfish or balloon from the rag man , this was often impossible as some of us were in fact wearing worse stuff than he had collected from the better areas he and his horse had passed through before getting to us:)

I remember Piercy well, exactly as you described him.

On some of the new estates like Arbourthorne, the shops were few and far between, and it was hard on the old folks having to lug home carrier bags full of potatos, sugar, flour, canned goods and bottles of milk, Tizer or Bass. Especially in winter, rain and snow!

Peircy's bus was a godsend, coming right to your door!

We also had the Corporation Man calling, I'm not sure what he did, a couple of Chequemen from Pagets and the other one, which is how most young lads starting work got their first Burtons suit, made to measure of course, or a Bunny's sport coat and gaberdine trousers, and Timpsons, Dolcis or Saxone crepe sole shoes!

Occasionally the gypsies would come around, and we all knew we had to buy something or else we'd be stuck with very bad luck for a year!

Except for the gypsies, all the collectors, were assured of a cup of tea with the excuse that we would be paying double next week.

One of our chequemen used laugh and tell us that sometimes his customers who were a bit short that week drew the curtains and pretended not to be home, but they had a good fire going, and he could tell by the smoke from the chimney who was and wasn't home :)

Edited by trastrick

I remember Piercy well, exactly as you described him.

On some of the new estates like Arbourthorne, the shops were few and far between, and it was hard on the old folks having to lug home carrier bags full of potatos, suger, flour, canned goods and bottles of milk, Tizer or Bass. Especially in winter, rain and snow!

Peircy's bus was a godsend, coming right to your door!

We also had the Corporation Man calling, I'm not sure what he did, a couple of Chequemen from Pagets and the other one, which is how most young lads starting work got their first Burtons suit, made to measure of course, or a Bunny's sport coat and gaberdine trousers, and Timpsons, Dolcis or Saxone crepe sole shoes!

Occasionally the gypsies would come around, and we all knew we had to buy something or else we'd be stuck with very bad luck for a year!

Except for the gypsies, all the collectors, were assured of a cup of tea with the excuse that we would be paying double next week.

One of our chequemen used laugh and tell us that sometimes his customers who were a bit short that week drew the curtains and pretended not to be home, but they had a good fire going, and he could tell by the smoke from the chimney who was and wasn't home :)

Our insurance man used to check the outside grate if it was wet he kept knocking , in summer that is:hihi:

What a thought-provoking post, thank you so much.

My gran made the best Yorkshire pud I've ever tasted. It was made in the same roasting tray that the roast had been cooked in and had all the bits of meat attached to the bottom of the tray-sized pud, making it dense at the bottom and raised at the sides. Like you said, we had the Yorkshire before the roast itself. My ex-wife tried to re-reate the pud al-la grandma, but could never do it. Jimmy Clitheroe was magic and all -round family entertainment. You can still listen to the programs on Youtube... well worth the effort even now.

many things were great in the 50s/60s ,but there were many things that were not so good,ice on the inside of the bedroom windows in winter,outside toilets,health problems,

no central heating,no tvs,pity we cant mix up the best of the old and the best of the new and not have the rest.

many things were great in the 50s/60s ,but there were many things that were not so good,ice on the inside of the bedroom windows in winter,outside toilets,health problems,

no central heating,no tvs,pity we cant mix up the best of the old and the best of the new and not have the rest.

We didn't give it a lot of thought. It was what it was! Something to overcome!

Much like DR where I'm living now. The locals have very little, but the streets are teaming with street vendors and everybody is helpful and smiling! Just like Heeley used to be when I was growing up.

It is warm, though!:)

Edited by trastrick

What a thought-provoking post, thank you so much.

My gran made the best Yorkshire pud I've ever tasted. It was made in the same roasting tray that the roast had been cooked in and had all the bits of meat attached to the bottom of the tray-sized pud, making it dense at the bottom and raised at the sides. Like you said, we had the Yorkshire before the roast itself. My ex-wife tried to re-reate the pud al-la grandma, but could never do it. Jimmy Clitheroe was magic and all -round family entertainment. You can still listen to the programs on Youtube... well worth the effort even now.

What about the rice pudding baked in a cracked glaze dish and coming out of the Yorkshire Range with a brown crust on the top .:)