The way things used to be .

Burdock

Arctium is a genus of biennial plants commonly known as burdock, family Asteraceae. Native to the Old World, several species have been widely introduced worldwide. Wikipedia

Dandelion and burdock - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_and_burdock

It was originally a type of light mead, but over the years has evolved into the carbonated soft drink commercially available today. Traditionally it was made from fermented dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) and burdock (Arctium lappa) roots, hence the name.

Well snow gone away so, to take things a little further on how things used to be lets think about that magic time when working class people got their first wheels ,being a car , van or motor bike.

My first attempt at joining this freedom to go any where malarkey was on two wheels that being a motor bike costing 25 bob a week on the chucky from Greys on Bridge Street , it was a B.S.A 650 twin cylinder that I rode away on with only a provisional license and no helmet or waterproofs just mi mack on and workin boots.

It lasted me for eighteen months until I traded it in for a Wolsey four forty four that was an ex police car and had covered 60,000 miles a mileage that was a big one for cars in those days .

Over the years I have had maybe sixty odd cars , vans and motor bikes (mostly high mileage rust buckets) but up to recant times I could lift the bonnet and tinker about myself , tune em up, de coke em, and make em pass a M.O.T..

All of these vehicles gave me hours of pleasure as by some miracle of Redex and hope they got our family to the far of places on the East Coast such as Skeggy and Mabelthorpe.

Now!!! even though my latest love is ten years old when I lift the bonnet it is like looking at a foreign Country , I can't see any plugs , points or carbs to play with , I can't see an oil filter or a rocker cover to take of and adjust the tappets.

in fact I can't see an engine ,instead there is a blank cover with little electrical boxes stacked at the side ,these boxes have warning labels saying don't touch or refer to dealer etc.

So I just slam the lid and think about my old Morris Minors. Ford Cortinas , Vauxhall Victors and the one and only Moskovich that I have owned , broken down in, made love in, pushed to start and loved to swear at over the years.

Edited by Albert smith

Well snow gone away so, to take things a little further on how things used to be lets think about that magic time when working class people got their first wheels ,being a car , van or motor bike.

My first attempt at joining this freedom to go any where malarkey was on two wheels that being a motor bike costing 25 bob a week on the chucky from Greys on Bridge Street , it was a B.S.A 650 twin cylinder that I rode away on with only a provisional license and no helmet or waterproofs just mi mack on and workin boots.

It lasted me for eighteen months until I traded it in for a Wolsey four forty four that was an ex police car and had covered 60,000 miles a mileage that was a big one for cars in those days .

Over the years I have had maybe sixty odd cars , vans and motor bikes (mostly high mileage rust buckets) but up to recant times I could lift the bonnet and tinker about myself , tune em up, de coke em, and make em pass a M.O.T..

All of these vehicles gave me hours of pleasure as by some miracle of Redex and hope they got our family to the far of places on the East Coast such as Skeggy and Mabelthorpe.

Now!!! even though my latest love is ten years old when I lift the bonnet it is like looking at a foreign Country , I can't see any plugs , points or carbs to play with , I can't see an oil filter or a rocker cover to take of and adjust the tappets.

in fact I can't see an engine ,instead there is a blank cover with little electrical boxes stacked at the side ,these boxes have warning labels saying don't touch or refer to dealer etc.

So I just slam the lid and think about my old Morris Minors. Ford Cortinas , Vauxhall Victors and the one and only Moskovich that I have owned , broken down in, made love in, pushed to start and loved to swear at over the years.

Everybody knows that old cars need airing out!

First thing in the morning, prop up the bonnet and give it a good airing out for a few hours.

Does wonders!

We had trolleys (homemade)

And beyond our ken, use to sit in our shed listening on my tranny, laughing my head of.

My mode of transport was a bike rim and a stick, unless I got lucky and managed to get a car tire to use with my stick.:cool:

My mode of transport was a bike rim and a stick, unless I got lucky and managed to get a car tire to use with my stick.:cool:

Nice one Ontarian... wonder how many people remember that.

Car tyre every time for me, must have been posh.

Mine was a Ford Cortina Mk2 1300. At night in winter or fog had to cover the engine with a rug or it wouldn't start following morning. Also had to put a note on the steering wheel saying "rug on engine" or it got quite messy. Re-set contact breaker every month to prevent pinking, other than that was a good car.

I had a good bike rim too. I remember it was off a real racing bike and I thought the world of that rim. The stick, what can I say, a true round piece of my grandma's old sweeping brush, One Sunday I took the combo' out for a run and finished up at Fox House. By then I was a little thirsty, so I went in the pub' for a glass. When I came out some one had nicked my rim. ********, I had to walk all the way back to Pitsmoor,

Sorry about that, I've been trying to get that joke off for years,

I had a good bike rim too. I remember it was off a real racing bike and I thought the world of that rim. The stick, what can I say, a true round piece of my grandma's old sweeping brush, One Sunday I took the combo' out for a run and finished up at Fox House. By then I was a little thirsty, so I went in the pub' for a glass. When I came out some one had nicked my rim. ********, I had to walk all the way back to Pitsmoor,

Sorry about that, I've been trying to get that joke off for years,

:hihi: Lol, the one I used was about when I visited my Aunts house for tea with my cousin. It was getting late and Auntie says " Get yourself ready and your Uncle Ron will take you home before it gets dark", I said " It's awreyt Auntie, I have mi rim 'n' stick. " :D

I remember after sunday lunch the ice cream van would come around playing greensleeves and mum would go out and buy a bowl of icecream and wafers for desert, and us kids would have an old strap on roller skate with the beano hard back annual balanced on it ,going down hill was great until you wanted to stop or go around a corner,had many a graze from coming off.

Remember the things that came in vans onto the estates?

Daisy Fresh bread

Fletchers bread

Fish van

Mobile butcher

Pop lorry

Tea van

mobile greengrocer

Rag & Bone man

and those that came to the house like Cleaneze and Betterware. Used to leave us kids a tiny sample tin of polish about 1" diameter which we used for our bikes.

What about pubs ,by pubs I mean the real McCoy ,You know the ones that had Tap rooms, snooker rooms, men only rooms, dart boards, fishing clubs , pigeon fanciers and if you wanted ought to eat it was a bag of Smiths crisps with a little packet of salt in blue paper.

The proper pubs usually had a bar with high stools along with a bright brass foot rail , they had lavs outside and the only entertainment was a sing song with Joe on the piano usually on a Saturday and Sunday night.

Some pubs I frequented were institutions in Sheffield and inc The Cannon, Lion (Holly Street) and the Adelphi ( now buried under the Crucible) .All the three were Stoooones pubs and had a sign with a Cannon swinging out side .

On the Estates we got the posh new builds fron the 40's, 50's and 60's some examples being The Manor Hotel, The Punch Bowl (Gleadless Common ) and The Centre Spot at Base Geeen.

These pubs built with no expense to spare boasted large concert rooms where we could see all the local bands, comedians or just locals who thought they were Sinatra having a go after ten pints of Jungle Juce.

What have we got now ,Sadly pubs have been replaced by semi Restaurants whose main interest is selling food ,the smell of Fish and Chips or Curry hits you as you enter the door . A pint of Smiths can cost you an arm and a leg in some of these eating houses and do not even think of turning the Teli off so as to have a quiet game of crib or dominoes .

Some waint even let my dog in , Its crap int it.

What have we got now ,Sadly pubs have been replaced by semi Restaurants whose main interest is selling food ,the smell of Fish and Chips or Curry hits you as you enter the door . A pint of Smiths can cost you an arm and a leg in some of these eating houses and do not even think of turning the Teli off so as to have a quiet game of crib or dominoes .

Some waint even let my dog in , Its crap int it.

Alas :) You, like me have to move forward with the times. I remember those days with fond memories, but that's all they are now :D