Deep Pits Sheffield

Does any one remember an area of Sheffield named Deep Pits , when I was young I often remember this area on City Road being referred to,

I was told that there used to be a large brick making yard in the area so maybe the clay was dug forming a pit .

Does any one remember an area of Sheffield named Deep Pits , when I was young I often remember this area on City Road being referred to,

I was told that there used to be a large brick making yard in the area so maybe the clay was dug forming a pit .

Have a look at this map to pinpoint it. If you use the slider on the bottom left, you can compare to now. The only shaft shown on this map though, is just to the left below Arbourthorne Colliery.

Thanks for that ,many changes over the years although no sign of a brick works so maybe my info was wrong.

-----------------------------------

Deep Pit was a colliery, even in my time the word pit was usually used instead of colliery. I have a map which shows Deep Pit Colliery on the North East side of what is now City Road in the same place as it says Deep Pit on the map linked to by *_ash_* . unfortunately this site doesn't accept images so I can't show it to you.

Also from the Sheffield Independant in 1829 this report :-

"On Wednesday, an inquest was held on the body of George Bellamy who was in the act of decending into one of the pits at the Deep Pit Colliery near Sheffield when the rope to which the corve was attached broke and he was precipitated to the bottom and killed."

EDIT - I found an 1840 map online here ------- http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/series?xCenter=3267607.9816574&yCenter=3002918.0498865&scale=63360&viewScale=11338.5888&mapLayer=nineteenth&subLayer=first_edition&title=Ordnance%20Survey%20and%20Ordnance%20Survey%20of%20Scotland%20First%20Series&download=true

Edited by Boginspro
New information

-----------------------------------

Deep Pit was a colliery, even in my time the word pit was usually used instead of colliery. I have a map which shows Deep Pit Colliery on the North East side of what is now City Road in the same place as it says Deep Pit on the map linked to by *_ash_* . unfortunately this site doesn't accept images so I can't show it to you.

Also from the Sheffield Independant in 1829 this report :-

"On Wednesday, an inquest was held on the body of George Bellamy who was in the act of decending into one of the pits at the Deep Pit Colliery near Sheffield when the rope to which the corve was attached broke and he was precipitated to the bottom and killed."

EDIT - I found an 1840 map online here ------- http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/series?xCenter=3267607.9816574&yCenter=3002918.0498865&scale=63360&viewScale=11338.5888&mapLayer=nineteenth&subLayer=first_edition&title=Ordnance%20Survey%20and%20Ordnance%20Survey%20of%20Scotland%20First%20Series&download=true

What a find that map is , I have been told that the brick yard I asked about was owned by a man called Robinson?.

What a find that map is , I have been told that the brick yard I asked about was owned by a man called Robinson?.

------------------------

From Whites Directory 1862

Robinson James, brickmaker, Park view, Intake road.

Intake Road is now City Road. The name Park View would suggest it may have overlooked Norfolk Park which could put it near the colliery or possibly a little lower down opposite City Road Cemetery.

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 19:37 ----------

I have just realised that this must be the James Robinson of the Park Brick works on Blagden Street. This was in fact James Robinson & Son.

What made me realise is that I found Park View to be a lot further down Intake Road than the Deep Pits, in fact between Stafford Road and Fitzwalter Road on the north east of City Road just above Park Brick works about here ------ https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3766465,-1.4519961,3a,75y,51.33h,85.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPx68pFDuPYb1rhfTQ7IycQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en -------- I don't suppose that stone house could be it, there doesn't seem to be a name on it so probably not.

Here is a map with the house labelled, you will have to zoom in to find it. -------- http://maps.nls.uk//view/102345217

Edited by Boginspro
error

Locally at least, from my own observations there very often seems to be a brickworks associated with collieries. Nunnery being a case for instance.

1845 White's directory, Deep Pits run by Sheffield Coal Company.

Hounsfield, Wilson, Dunn, and Jeffcock, (Sheffield Coal Co.) colliery

owners, Soap house, Park, Manor, Corker bottoms, Arbourthorne.

Birley vale, and Deep pits

Coal yard, New Haymarket

Robinson Road is also just below this house, is it probable it was named after James Robinson ?

I wonder if Robinsons bricks were used locally, the oldest brick houses that I can see on Boginspros map are the ones where Jim Wilsons cycle shop is on the opposite side of City Road.

Robinson Road is also just below this house, is it probable it was named after James Robinson ?
Yes indeed - in the book "Street Names of Sheffield" Peter Harvey wrote that Robinson Road was named "from the brickyard of James Robinson and Son at the end of Blagden Street. Robinsons were brick manufacturers in the Park district for more than 100 years".

We have a Sheffield tram (no.74) at Crich tramway museum and it has Deep Pits on its destination blind. I sometimes display this and it's amazing how many Sheffield visitors are stumped as to where it was. The tram terminus would have been outside the former Travellers pubvat the top of Park Grange Road.