Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

BoJo the Clown cannot even build a bridge across the Thames without wasting £tens of millions of taxpayers money:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/14/london-garden-bridge-project-scrapped-sadiq-khan

He thinks he can build a bridge across the channel ? :hihi:

BoJo the Clown cannot even build a bridge across the Thames without wasting £tens of millions of taxpayers money:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/14/london-garden-bridge-project-scrapped-sadiq-khan

He thinks he can build a bridge across the channel ? :hihi:

I think it's a nice idea of Johnson's; strengthening ties with Europe. Wait, what?

I think it's a nice idea of Johnson's; strengthening ties with Europe. Wait, what?

It’s almost as if BoJo the Clown wants to erase the memory of the last 18 months of his buffoonery from the public consciousness.

They want to get to the UK,if people want to get to my neighbours house and have to climb over my garden fence to get there,why should I bear the cost of getting extra strong fencing to protect myself from whatever my neighbour is offering them that I don't.

And what if your neighbour lives 22 miles away across the sea and the people that nipped over your fence have now set a camp in your garden to use as a base to commit criminal acts. Now what are you going to do? You seem to have a much bigger problem than your neighbour.

Personally I can't help having a wry little smile at the thought that a slice of France larger than Gibraltar is basically British territory enforced by British laws and British officials, all at the request of the French who can't seem to manage it themselves.

And what if your neighbour lives 22 miles away across the sea and the people that nipped over your fence have now set a camp in your garden to use as a base to commit criminal acts. Now what are you going to do? You seem to have a much bigger problem than your neighbour.

Personally I can't help having a wry little smile at the thought that a slice of France larger than Gibraltar is basically British territory enforced by British laws and British officials, all at the request of the French who can't seem to manage it themselves.

It's already been done,the neighbour has just paid up more to not have the problems that they are paying the French to have for them,the fact that illegals still get through to the UK shows that the UK are no good at enforcing laws on French territory,and so are still paying money to the French while having illegals still entering the country,so money paid and the UK still has the problem.

It's a nice thought, isn't it?

The fact that the UK is paying a premium to rent a immigration camp in France and that Macron can tap May for more money to run the place at the drop of hat, else that slice and all illegals on it gets shoved straight back to Kent?

'Over a barrel' is the expression, I believe :twisted:

Speaking of Gib', anyone thought to ask them about Brexit, lately? Last I checked, they turned in a 97% remain vote in the referendum. Can't say I've seen or heard much mentioned about them in the Brit MSM since. Seen loads about "democracy" in t' thread and article comments, though... :huh:

:D

They are coming because of the push / pull effect. The push is leaving their homes because of war, or climiate change, or because of massive overpopulation and resulting lack of opportunities in their homeland.

The pull is economic benefits here and in other countries. It is no co-incidence that migrants / illegal immigrants push on through southern Europe until they get to somewhere like Sweden or Germany. Because the welfare systems in Germany and Sweden are considerably more generous than the ones in Greece or Spain, say.

So if you want fewer migrants, lessen the economic incentive for them to come.

As L00b has pointd out we in the UK have an additional problem in that due to the lack of an ID card and joined up governance in general, it is easier for illegals to live under the radar here, to work in the black economy.

All of the above is doable, if there is the political will to do it. But due to the truly dire quality of UK politicians at the moment, maybe that will does not exist.

All of the above is doable, if there is the political will to do it. But due to the truly dire quality of UK politicians at the moment, maybe that will does not exist.
I'd say there is the public will to do it, there has long been, stoked by politicians and tabloids.

But the political will of all UK politicians, over the years, has been much more simply to ride and exploit that public will for staying in power whilst repeatedly kicking that can (of worms) into the long grass, rather than set about doing it.

The fundamental problem is not immigration, ID cards, related policies, required investment levels, foreign interventions precipitating refugee waves, etc.

The fundamental problem is that the British electorate keeps thanking UK politicians for promising the moon on a stick and failing to deliver any of it, by re-electing them time and again. Not a problem which is going to get solved anytime soon.

Speaking of Gib', anyone thought to ask them about Brexit, lately? Last I checked, they turned in a 97% remain vote in the referendum. Can't say I've seen or heard much mentioned about them in the Brit MSM since. Seen loads about "democracy" in t' thread and article comments, though... :huh:

:D

Gibraltar had a referendum in 2002 to decide in they wanted to share sovereignty between the UK and Spain. The democratic result was that 99% voted no. The whole of the UK democratically voted to leave the EU, which includes Gibraltar which is a British overseas territory unlike Calais.

Gibraltar had a referendum in 2002 to decide in they wanted to share sovereignty between the UK and Spain. The democratic result was that 99% voted no. The whole of the UK democratically voted to leave the EU, which includes Gibraltar which is a British overseas territory unlike Calais.

which completely sidesteps the point Loob made :roll:

They are coming because of the push / pull effect. The push is leaving their homes because of war, or climiate change, or because of massive overpopulation and resulting lack of opportunities in their homeland.

The pull is economic benefits here and in other countries. It is no co-incidence that migrants / illegal immigrants push on through southern Europe until they get to somewhere like Sweden or Germany. Because the welfare systems in Germany and Sweden are considerably more generous than the ones in Greece or Spain, say.

So if you want fewer migrants, lessen the economic incentive for them to come.

As L00b has pointd out we in the UK have an additional problem in that due to the lack of an ID card and joined up governance in general, it is easier for illegals to live under the radar here, to work in the black economy.

You do know that there is no strain on the welfare system due to illegal immigrants owing to the fact that they cannot claim any benefits, don't you?

But you knew that anyway as in your last but one paragraph you mention them living under the radar working in the black economy.

Yet another use of Schrodinger's immigrant paradox.

Edited by max

They want to get to the UK,if people want to get to my neighbours house and have to climb over my garden fence to get there,why should I bear the cost of getting extra strong fencing to protect myself from whatever my neighbour is offering them that I don't.

This is silly. What you should do is phone the police. The police would then detain them and explain that there is a correct way to enter the neighbours property. They would be advised of the correct route and the necessary invitations they would need.

If the neighbour had invited them but the visitors were coming by a route that is not advised, then the visitors are still to blame.

If the neighbour had not invited them in the first place then this absolves them of any related problems.

One must also ask why they are going by a difficult route. There is a road and a path up to the front door. Unless they have something to hide that is.

You don't think things through properly. This is a problem these days.

---------- Post added 19-01-2018 at 10:08 ----------

You do know that there is no strain on the welfare system due to illegal immigrants owing to the fact that they cannot claim any benefits, don't you?

But they use public services. One needs to earn 35g per year to pay enough tax to fund personal use of public services.