Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

70% of people coming over on boats are given asylum. The economic migrants thing is largely horse****.

oh my you must have massive rose tinted specs on!! yes maybe they are given asylum that doesn't change the fact they are economic migrants ? why else would they not stop in italy, france, germany? why here a treacherous illegal crossing, come on common sense??? we are a soft touch we need to be like Poland!

9 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

oh my you must have massive rose tinted specs on!! yes maybe they are given asylum that doesn't change the fact they are economic migrants ? why else would they not stop in italy, france, germany? why here a treacherous illegal crossing, come on common sense??? we are a soft touch we need to be like Poland!

You get more money in France and Germany. Italy takes, what, 10 times the numbers we do. 

They might speak English  they might have family here. If they were economic migrants, asylum wouldn't be granted.

19 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

Thank God common sense prevailed and as for the miners strike ha ha are you for real??? the miners were greedy they followed a narcissist who was only out for his own glory?  adapt or die.

Scargill had their trousers down good and proper 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

You are all so cynical, nothing can change, it'll never happen, people are selfish etc etc...

I was lucky enough to grow up in the fifties. After the horrors of war people were eager to make the world a better place. And they did.

We had a period of what was arguably the most egaltarian period in British history. Taxation provided free health care, (from the cradle to the grave) free dental care, free higher education giving everone the opportunity to better themselves, decent housing at a reasonable price/ rent, family allowance, improvement in working conditions, (remember the subsidied works canteens, day trips, Christmas bonus, etc) better pay, (and a decent safety net if you were out of work,) above all a strong sense of community, looking out for each other. Most of all people were optimistic and hopeful, and had peace of mind knowing there was a safety net under them for difficult times. 

But how the Establishment/Tories hated it, and it didn't take them long to agitate for change back to the old status quo, where they were the masters and we knew our place. The showdown was the miner's strike in the 80's. Literally 'a fight to find who ran the country.' The masters or the miners. The masters won and brought back all the measures we see now to keep the little man down.

The miners strike came at the end of industrial unrest which culminated in who ran the country. The elected government or the unions.

Most of what you say about the 1950s and later I agree with but then people were more disciplined and grateful and realistic about things.

What was vastly different was the limited expectations because unrealistic views of how people lived was not viewed on televisions.

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

70% of people coming over on boats are given asylum. The economic migrants thing is largely horse****.

Red alert, red alert, possible incoming data detected. It's very unfair of you to use evidence on 'them' ... oh and could you tell us where you found the data?

26 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Red alert, red alert, possible incoming data detected. It's very unfair of you to use evidence on 'them' ... oh and could you tell us where you found the data?

I think its more than 70%, but do we have any secure immigration centers?

So they will disapear, I believe around 10,000(in total) are sent back to their home countries per year. That is out of a total of 200/300,000 net immigration per year

53 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Some lord took apart patels figures in the house of Lords. 70% (although some of that number needed an appeal).

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Some lord took apart patels figures in the house of Lords. 70% (although some of that number needed an appeal).

Very good. So how about we start assuming the people in boats are all genuine unless and until proved otherwise and we could then start looking them after properly, helping them adjust to UK society and letting them work.

10 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Very good. So how about we start assuming the people in boats are all genuine unless and until proved otherwise and we could then start looking them after properly, helping them adjust to UK society and letting them work.

Work? Perhaps in sectors which are short of staff? That's madness!!!!!!!

27 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Work? Perhaps in sectors which are short of staff? That's madness!!!!!!!

Well, ... I know the Daily Mail is very interested in the migrant situation and yet entirely bereft of expertise in the matter - lot of prejudice, no expertise - so that may be a source of a few jobs at least.

Edited by Carbuncle

On 29/11/2021 at 00:30, Anna B said:

If there was more equality in the world: enough food, peace, education, equality of opportunity etc,  I'm sure most people would be happy to stay in their home countries and build decent fulfilling lives. If we can work towards that, this problem would go away. 

Unfortunately we in the affluent West have created many of the problems that now beset foreign countries, going back centuries, by taking the wealth from other countries for our own benefit leaving them poor. And we continue to add to the problems, living in a divided world of have and have-nots, where well intentioned help can often be misdirected and rife with corruption. 

Re-balance the world and we would do away with a lot of the world's problems.    

I agree regarding ‘more equality’, I well recall the council estate that was my home and having ambitions to be ‘equal’ with folk who owned their own homes in South West Sheffield, which I have achieved. I’m pleased to say that I’ve never been down a coal mine or experienced the workings of a melting shop, however I have taken risks that have worked out for me and have become totally none political.

As for the ‘equality’ regularly pontificated on by Anna’s Labour Party, it doesn’t take much research to discover the personal wealth of their leaders, give it a go.

9 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

It’s a very good suggestion, conducive of sensible discussions.

Alas, looking at majority contributions in the thread, I’d expect posters to actually condone this approach instead-

https://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/people/hastings-rnli-lifeboat-crew-blocked-from-going-out-to-sea-by-people-angry-at-them-rescuing-refugees-3475179

-irrespective of whether they are trolling or wannabe brown shirts.