Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

17 hours ago, Delayed said:

The home office actually offer this service

https://www.gov.uk/return-home-voluntarily

Well, that's very interesting. Thankyou. I've never  heard it mentioned in regards to this country.

However, I think the most important words to consider are  ' You may be Eligible to apply for financial support of up to £3,000.' There are so many caveats built into that sentence I wonder how many actually manage to get it.

Not known for its generosity, what this government says and what it does are often miles apart. And they're also known for reneging on promises. They're famous for it.

An interesting read

Why Iraqi Kurds risk their lives to reach the West

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-59419953

They complain about high unemployment, low pay and unpaid salaries, as well as poor public services, widespread corruption

Same as here then!

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

An interesting read

Same as here then!

So the story basically all points to people being economic migrants rather than genuine fleers of persecution, then. 

I wonder what the reaction & result would be if tens of thousands of our late teens or twenty-somethings suddenly decided to up sticks & head for the shores of say the US or Canada without the relevant paperwork because they are struggling to make a go of it in the UK?  After all, we've around 1.5 million out of work & it's to try & walk into another country unannounced, according to some posting on here. 

Edited by Baron99

As a matter of interest how many people from the Middle East are trying to claim refugee or asylum in other Middle East countries.

Well there over 4 million in Turkey

Kind of put our crisis with 25,000 in perspective

5 minutes ago, butlers said:

Exactly. Turkey, being positioned where it is, took in loads of refugees from surrounding countries fleeing IS, and then took loads more fleeing the Taliban recently. In contrast to the UK government's "thanks for looking after us and translating for us, but I'm afraid you'll have to stay behind and be murdered" approach.

8 minutes ago, butlers said:

I was thinking of Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Libya etc.

Libya...middle east ?

Near quarter of a million in Egypt as of 2021

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

An interesting read

Same as here then!

The Kurds have been our allies through out the wars in Afghanistan and Syria , they are constantly being attacked by the Turks who are supposed to be our allies but are far from that .

1 minute ago, cuttsie said:

The Kurds have been our allies through out the wars in Afghanistan and Syria , they are constantly being attacked by the Turks who are supposed to be our allies but are far from that .

And hung out to dry by Trump. Perhaps if the Western powers who so like to meddle in the mid East (which includes the UK) had supported the Kurdish bid for statehood, they'd be busy making a go of that. But instead it was the usual: thanks for helping us with our geopolitical aims - bye!

2 million plus in Iran.

These are poor countries too

Please educate me. Why do many of the other countries have camps for illegal migrants waiting to be processed but we don't?

Serious question. I really don't know enough about it. Couldn't it be purpose built on or near the coast with reasonable facillities for families, or near all these fields that need their fruit and vegetables picking?  Would that be so wrong?

Just trying to think round the problem for possible solutions or not.