Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

11 minutes ago, L00b said:

It really is not, just a change in modus operandi.

There have been 30 feet tall razor wire-topped fences all around the Chunnel terminal in Coquelles, patrolled by CRS in riot gear with dogs, for a couple of decades by now, attesting to the fact.

If the UK made safe channels available to asylum seekers, the issue would be managed relatively quickly and easily, and most of all safely for the hopefuls.

But the UK does not, so the problem can only endure, because the migrants want to reach family, relatives, friends already in the UK, and/or hold the UK on a reputational pedestal, from following Man U as kids to working with squaddies in Helmand and all variations on the theme.

The UK repatriation statistics are a joke, but that’s something to take up with Patel and her Ministry (and her predecessors, because that under-performance on immigration management and enforcement is nothing new at all).

If you want to dissuade migrants, maybe broadcast this thread and similar reader comments from the Mail, Express and Telegraph website instead.

But these individuals are not travelling via the Channel Tunnel, are they?

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

But these individuals are not travelling via the Channel Tunnel, are they?

Indeed they are not. Can you guess why? 🙄

2 minutes ago, L00b said:

Indeed they are not. Can you guess why? 🙄

No guessing why - it will be impossible to use that route, so they use  others - simples.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

It really is not, just a change in modus operandi.

There have been 30 feet tall razor wire-topped fences all around the Chunnel terminal in Coquelles, patrolled by CRS in riot gear with dogs, for a couple of decades by now, attesting to the fact.

If the UK made safe channels available to asylum seekers, the issue would be managed relatively quickly and easily, and most of all safely for the hopefuls.

But the UK does not, so the problem can only endure, because the migrants want to reach family, relatives, friends already in the UK, and/or hold the UK on a reputational pedestal, from following Man U as kids to working with squaddies in Helmand and all variations on the theme.

The UK repatriation statistics are a joke, but that’s something to take up with Patel and her Ministry (and her predecessors, because that under-performance on immigration management and enforcement is nothing new at all).

If you want to dissuade migrants, maybe broadcast this thread and similar reader comments from the Mail, Express and Telegraph website instead.

My bold. 

The UK is already signed up to taking legitimate refugees from the UN run camps, CLOSE TO where conflicts are taking place & the genuine refugees seek safety in such camps. Its just that because this goes on, on a daily basis, it does make the news.  What where talking about here are illegal, fee paying economic migrants. 

Witnes the family of 4 Iraqis, interviewed in Iraq by a Sky reporter & showed on Sky News this morning. 

They paid the equivalent of £30,000 to be smuggled out of Iraq, (doesn't sound to me as though they were fleeing?), and into Turkey.  From there they paid for plane tickets to fly to Belarus.  After a few days there, they managed to illegally enter Poland.   A week or so later the Polish authorities caught up with them.  Note at this point, they didn't try to make any asylum claims on any grounds, in this safe EU county.  The Poles then took the decision to immediately fly them back to Iraq. 

Now back in Iraq, the family are now living in a small flat, having sold their previous house to pay the people smugglers & bemoaning the fact that they have next to nothing.  The wife of the family was asked what they intend to do?  Try again of course at some point as their intention is to make it to England. 

So here we have a family who could have put in an asylum claim but didn't but of course at some point in the future will possibly turn up on our shores with some sob story about being persecuted, when in reality all they are, are conning & cunning economic migrants. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Same reason why they  don't use aeroplanes to travel to the UK.

Hmmm... :huh:

I wonder if Greta has had a word with them? :suspect:

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

No guessing why - it will be impossible to use that route, so they use  others - simples.

Then what was the point of your earlier question, if you already knew the answer?

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

The UK is already signed up to taking legitimate refugees from the UN run camps, CLOSE TO where conflicts are taking place & the genuine refugees seek safety in such camps. Its just that because this goes on, on a daily basis, it does make the news.  What where talking about here are illegal, fee paying economic migrants. 

(…)

So long as due process exists, which is what you just referenced there, then there is no such thing as “illegal” migrants, refugees and/or asylum seekers.

There are migrants (people in transit), refugees (people granted asylum) and asylum seekers (people with pending asylum requests).

It is also long settled, still under this same principle of existing due process (i.e. “law”), that there is no obligation whatsoever for a migrant to lodge their asylum request in the first safe country they reach (even though, in practice, the *very vast* majority appear to do so, hence why Turkey hosts 3.7m of them according to the UNHCR: https://www.unhcr.org/uk/asylum-in-the-uk.html).

That is a useful link which provides plenty of context, including about the resettlement schemes to which you referred:

Refugees can be resettled to the UK via the Gateway Protection Programme, the Mandate Scheme, the Vulnerable Children Resettlement Scheme (VCRS), or the Syrian Vulnerable Person’s Resettlement Scheme (VPRS). 

353 people were resettled through these schemes in the year to March 2021 (down from 4968 the previous year). The Vulnerable Person Resettlement Scheme (VPRS) accounted for the majority (312) of those resettled in the UK in the year ending March 2021. In the year ending March 2021, a further 21 people were resettled under the Vulnerable Children Resettlement Scheme (VCRS). Of those resettled under the VPRS and VCRS in this year, 4 refugees were resettled under the Community Sponsorship scheme.

Since the scheme began in July 2016, 449 refugees have been resettled by community sponsor groups. Find out more about resettlement here.

As for the Iraqis of your anecdote, maybe give a thought about why people would have to get “smuggled” OUT of their own country, rather than leave it through the front door. It’s really rather different to getting “smuggled” INTO another country.

I read somewhere that in one country (might have been Denmark) they send the illegal migrants back home with a sum of money, (think it was about £6,000) to start a business or improve their lives in some way. They said it works. They do just that and don't come back, also improving their country at the same time.

Now I can imagine the outcry if it happened here, but it would actually be cost effective and cost less than what we do now..

It's similar to the 'micro loans' given to African villagers by some charities which they can use to benefit their communities and  themselves. It works a lot better, apparently. than giving vast amounts of money as aid which often ends up in the pockets of to corrupt dictators/ governments.

If we paid them £6000 and sent them back thousands would be back with false names,our government isn’t smart enough to suss them out,France should send them back to the 1st safe country they arrived,help should be given by the EU to support the 1st safe country they arrive in.

This is an interesting read. Are these charities doing more damage this way by allowing the migrants  to proceed by boats unhindered?

Priti Patel faces three legal challenges over refugee pushback plans

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/25/priti-patel-faces-three-legal-challenges-refugee-pushback-plans

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I read somewhere that in one country (might have been Denmark) they send the illegal migrants back home with a sum of money, (think it was about £6,000) to start a business or improve their lives in some way. They said it works. They do just that and don't come back, also improving their country at the same time.

Now I can imagine the outcry if it happened here, but it would actually be cost effective and cost less than what we do now..

It's similar to the 'micro loans' given to African villagers by some charities which they can use to benefit their communities and  themselves. It works a lot better, apparently. than giving vast amounts of money as aid which often ends up in the pockets of to corrupt dictators/ governments.

My bold. 

The UK Govt have been doing this for years.  I think it started under Labour?  It's called something along the lines of Assisted Returns Scheme?  We offer around £3,000 per person.  

It works?  Hmmm?  Remember reading about a few who accepted the money & a few months later were either picked up trying to get back into the UK or were picked up in raids on premises in the UK. 

How effective the scheme is I don't know but I reckon those accepting the scheme will be a mininal number compared to those arriving illegally. 

To put the current figures into perspective, we have an official figure of 25,300 illegal, people smuggling fee payers arriving on our shores so far this year.  Compare that to the genuine 20,000 Afghan arrivals, who helped the British forces in Afghanistan, who we've agreed to take. 

It concerns me that adults and children are willing to risk their lives attempting to reach England’s south coast in winter, some using nothing more than cheap inflatables in their attempts. So no, they are not our problem, they should be the problem of all decent people.

20 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Hence why many travel unhindered to the Northern European coast of our near neighbours, knowing full well that there's a chance if you make it the last 28 miles, more than likely you can disappear here for years or simply enter a system, where you can still stay here for years, with a very high chance, even if your claim is rejected, (numerous times if you go by the Liverpool terrorist's background), you can still remain in the UK for years. 

We do have the freedom to travel almost anywhere , I could get a dinghy and set sail to Canvey Island or the Isle of Wight, it wouldn't be illegal here and these refugees can come to the UK from France, unless France are going to make travel illegal.