Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

Not if we make our border water tight. Pull up the drawbridge is the answer.

I was going to ask how much you're prepared to pay (clue - it will cost a lit more than now) but you dodge your taxes so I'll be paying for you anyway. But it will be adios to knock off cigs though if we make it as tight as you want.

As far as I see it, the UK handing over an additional £44 million is a win, win for the French.

We pay for the added security & keep the UK border on French soil but think about it. Should any illegal immigrants manage to get through the security measures, passed the UK Border officials & sneak onto a lorry or ferry, the French can say it was our fault & discharge all responsibility.

Far better that we don't pay a penny to the French, move our borders back to the UK, then should any illegals be caught hiding in lorries coming from mainland Europe, we'll say this is your fault, France, Belgium, Holland for not securing YOUR borders at your end, here you are, you can have your illegals back.

EU law is very clear; under the EU’s Dublin asylum rules, countries where refugees first land must process their asylum requests, and must also take back any asylum seekers who travel to other countries in the bloc.

Far better that we don't pay a penny to the French, move our borders back to the UK, then should any illegals be caught hiding in lorries coming from mainland Europe, we'll say this is your fault, France, Belgium, Holland for not securing YOUR borders at your end, here you are, you can have your illegals back.

Great idea!

Except what happens when Le French say Non! and refuse to take “their” illegals back ?

You do understand that our border is in Calais, don't you. Hence the reason why we should pay.

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 21:28 ----------

EU law is very clear; under the EU’s Dublin asylum rules, countries where refugees first land must process their asylum requests, and must also take back any asylum seekers who travel to other countries in the bloc.

And when we leave the EU, that will no longer apply. Which is all the more reason for continuing to cooperate with the French over this. That, and the massive amount of money that we've already spent fencing in (out?) half of Calais, to make the tunnel secure.

is it time to fill the tunnel in

Well,unless Boris means filling the tunnel in is a 'first step',you're going to disappointed.

Boris Johnson

@BorisJohnson

So much important work in #UKFRSummit outcomes, but I’m especially pleased we are establishing a panel of experts to look at major projects together. Our economic success depends on good infrastructure and good connections. Should the Channel Tunnel be just a first step

Well,unless Boris means filling the tunnel in is a 'first step',you're going to disappointed.

Boris Johnson

@BorisJohnson

So much important work in #UKFRSummit outcomes, but I’m especially pleased we are establishing a panel of experts to look at major projects together. Our economic success depends on good infrastructure and good connections. Should the Channel Tunnel be just a first step

Just to expand on this, it refers to Boris wanting to build an additional channel tunnel - for cars this time.

Good old Boris,neither Brexit or the ice age will stop him from bringing closer ties between UK-EU.:hihi:

In his excellent book about the general election and Theresa May’s first year in office, Fall Out, Tim Shipman reveals that Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, privately backs building a new Channel Tunnel for cars. Shipman quotes Johnson as saying:

If you wanted to show your commitment to Europe, is it not time for us to have further and better economic integration with a road tunnel? That’s what we need ...

You could come out of the EU but join Europe in the most fundamental way ...

You undo the damage done at the end of the ice age. The Channel is really a river whose tributaries used to be the Seine and the Thames. It became bigger and bigger and bigger as the ice melted until it separated Britain from France.

They want to get to the UK,if people want to get to my neighbours house and have to climb over my garden fence to get there,why should I bear the cost of getting extra strong fencing to protect myself from whatever my neighbour is offering them that I don't.

Exactly.

Nail on head

---------- Post added 19-01-2018 at 00:02 ----------

No chance. All borders are porous.

---------- Post added 19-01-2018 at 00:03 ----------

Rubbish trolling

Try harder

Because migrants currently in Calais see the UK as a soft touch for spongers?

Do you really think that or are you just repeating tabloid smears?

How many recent immigrants have you met?

You do understand that our border is in Calais, don't you. Hence the reason why we should pay.

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 21:28 ----------

And when we leave the EU, that will no longer apply. Which is all the more reason for continuing to cooperate with the French over this. That, and the massive amount of money that we've already spent fencing in (out?) half of Calais, to make the tunnel secure.

And I refer back to my original question. Are illegal immigrants who have managed to sneak past France’s (& Belgium's & Holland's) borders & illegally enter France, actually OUR problem?

What do you think France’s reaction would be if there were thousands of illegal immigrants gathered in Kent trying to enter France. I bet good money, France would run straight to the EU demanding action.