Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

As it is claimed we are going to hell in a handcart after we leave the EU, why the preference for the U.K.?

Because migrants currently in Calais see the UK as a soft touch for spongers?

As it is claimed we are going to hell in a handcart after we leave the EU, why the preference for the U.K.?

The rate of immigration into the UK has already gone down, I would think that is because the economy and they do not think they are welcome; not because of a change in policy.

funny how some people cant grasp this :suspect:

It's been confirmed that the PM has agreed with France's President Macron that the UK pay an ADDITIONAL £44.5 million above what we already contribute to the security costs of the Port of Calasis in order to try & deter illegal immigration into the UK.

The PM has also agreed to take more unaccompanied migrant children & adults who successfully claim family ties to the UK.

My question is; should there be more pressure put on the likes of France, Belgium & Holland to make them secure their southern & eastern borders with their neighbouring countries to stop illegal immigrants from entering their countries in the first place & also pressure put on the EU in general to impose its own laws, making migrants register for asylum in the first EU country they arrive at?

This is really winding me up . The French have some brass neck wanting us to pay for security for THEIR problem on THEIR soil.

If the French dont want illegal immigrants camped in Calais, they should sort out their own borders and stop them getting into France in the first place. They only become our problem if they manage to sneak over here in the back of a curtain sider.

We should be telling the French where to shove their request for money. on French soil , its their problem .

Without reading the posts so far... I would say they are partially our problem and we should pay our fair share of the cost.

I saw an interesting interview today when a politician, can't remember his name, said that dealing with child asylum seekers (yes even those with a beard, pipe and copy of the racing post) cost ten times more to deal with here than back in the countries surrounding Syria. There is talk of taking 3,000 more. It was argued that for the same cost we could deal with 30,000. ie ensure they were safe, fed and warm.

Belgium, France and the Netherlands take an enormous amount more immigrants than the UK does. No, they should not do more. The UK should.

Why should we ?

If these countries dont want them on their soil , they should make sure they dont get through their borders.

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 19:18 ----------

is it time to fill the tunnel in

This problem is caused by the EU`s obsession with free movement of people and soft borders. No one should be able to just move between countries at will without the permission of the country you are wanting to enter.

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 19:18 ----------

Hit the nail on the head Jeffery.

This is really winding me up . The French have some brass neck wanting us to pay for security for THEIR problem on THEIR soil.

If the French dont want illegal immigrants camped in Calais, they should sort out their own borders and stop them getting into France in the first place. They only become our problem if they manage to sneak over here in the back of a curtain sider.

We should be telling the French where to shove their request for money. on French soil , its their problem .

But theyre passing through. Once in the france the french border patrol aren't going to worry about keeping them in! If they want to leave France and get into the UK by fair means or foul it's very much our problem. Turn the problem on its head. Lets say the scots are independent and loads of englishmen want to get into scotland only the scots wont let them in. How much effort would you make to stop them trying to get over Hadrians wall at the dead of night? If they get over, they are then Scotland's problem.

Why should we ?

If these countries dont want them on their soil , they should make sure they dont get through their borders.

They want to get to the UK,if people want to get to my neighbours house and have to climb over my garden fence to get there,why should I bear the cost of getting extra strong fencing to protect myself from whatever my neighbour is offering them that I don't.

They want to get to the UK,if people want to get to my neighbours house and have to climb over my garden fence to get there,why should I bear the cost of getting extra strong fencing to protect myself from whatever my neighbour is offering them that I don't.

Correctamundo.

Try claiming on your neighbours insurance for the damage then. They will politely tell you it is nothing to do with them.

Try claiming on your neighbours insurance for the damage then. They will politely tell you it is nothing to do with them.

If we dont play ball with the french, the jungle will disappear from france and reappear in kent in very short order.

If we dont play ball with the french, the jungle will disappear from france and reappear in kent in very short order.

Not if we make our border water tight. Pull up the drawbridge is the answer.