Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Oh dear, did you really write that?

We have enough problem returning failed asylum seekers to wherever they come from now.  How on earth  can having more failed asylum seekers be of any benefit for our country?

That’s not a bad effort for your third language.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I think that is a good guess. I'm guessing  the RNLI was originally founded to help hard working sailors at sea who got into trouble in British waters. I'm guessing the RNLI  wasn't founded to help criminal gangs to transport economic migrants to the British coast.

As usual, you are well off the mark:

At the heart of this institution would be ‘a large body of men … in constant readiness to risk their own lives for the preservation of those whom they have never known or seen, perhaps of another nation, merely because they are fellow creatures in extreme peril.’

The priorities of the institution would be ‘first, the preservation of human life from shipwreck …, secondly (provide) assistance to vessels in distress …, thirdly the preservation of vessels and property …, fourthly the prevention of plunder and depredations in case of shipwreck, fifthly the succour and support of those persons who may be rescued …, sixthly the bestowing of suitable rewards on those who rescue the lives of others from shipwreck or who assist vessels in distress …’

‘That an Institution can now be formed … to be supported by donations and annual subscriptions.

‘That such immediate assistance be afforded to persons rescued as their necessities may require.

‘That the subjects of all nations be equally objects of the Institution, as well in war as in peace [and] that medallions or pecuniary rewards be given to those who rescue lives …’

Guest sibon
20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Oh dear, did you really write that?

We have enough problems returning failed asylum seekers to wherever they come from now.  How on earth  can having more failed asylum seekers be of any benefit for our country?

Ok. We can just keep on tolerating the people smugglers, the rogue landlords, the modern slavers and all the other rogues who benefit from Pritti Patel’s unintelligent regime.

Or, maybe one day we’ll get some leaders with clarity of thought that don’t chase the votes of those with closed minds.

6 hours ago, crookesey said:

Nigel Farage says that the RNLI is a migrant taxi service in respect of them going to the rescue of human beings in trouble in inferior craft in waters such as the English Chanel. Their legitimacy to reside in the U.K. is very different to 'their right to live, we should always put human life above political expediency.

Correct.

Quite liked this cartoon in the Independent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-independent-daily-cartoon-a8575981.html

36 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Just as predicted last night by Nigel Farage live on GB News a record number of economic migrants crossed the English channel from France in one day.  The figure is 482 but that is only the known figure.

Are the crafty devils using submarines or disguising their dinghies as cross channel ferries?

52 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Just as predicted last night by Nigel Farage live on GB News a record number of economic migrants crossed the English channel from France in one day.  The figure is 482 but that is only the known figure.

Is that what Farage called them? I guess we wont know untill they are processed. I guess many thousands of workers visit the UK for work, but most either fly or use bigger boats. You have got to admire their determination.

The people on the inflatable boats are paying criminal gangs thousands of pounds which makes them economic migrants. 

No, what allows you to decide they are economic migrants is your prejudice.

The people on the inflatable boats are paying criminal gangs thousands of pounds which makes them economic migrants. 

Nope, there is no way to tell until they reach the UK and are interviewed.

Instead of paying the people smugglers many hundreds - sometimes thousands, apparently - to get across the channel, why don't they just buy a ticket, claim they're visiting relatives/friends, and then disappear off the radar?

50 minutes ago, West 77 said:

My common sense allows me to decide these people are economic migrants. 

Well, I guess this is a kind of progress. At least you are no longer claiming to have a logical argument for the description 'economic migrant'.

In your case you lack common sense.

I didn't vote to make the matter worse, that much is certain! :)

41 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

Instead of paying the people smugglers many hundreds - sometimes thousands, apparently - to get across the channel, why don't they just buy a ticket, claim they're visiting relatives/friends, and then disappear off the radar?

Try doing that if your relatives/friends live in a country where there's no visa waiver with the UK...

My common sense allows me to decide these people are economic migrants. 

In your case you lack common sense.

Your "common sense" made you think the RNLI were set up to help a limited subset of people rather than everyone in peril at sea and your arrogance stopped you from doing even perfunctory checks to see whether you were correct.

Your "common sense" obviously isn't so sensible - perhaps you should question it occasionally.