Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

I hope the French version of the Sun ( if such a thing exists) has a "Up  Yours Borris" front cover.

What goes around etc

The nostalgic blinded will be wanting imperial measurements back next 

1 minute ago, butlers said:

I hope the French version of the Sun ( if such a thing exists) has a "Up  Yours Borris" front cover.

What goes around etc

The nostalgic blinded will be wanting imperial measurements back next 

What do you mean "next" - Jeremy vine has dedicated phone ins for such nonsense for years! Never short of callers either!

5 hours ago, West 77 said:

The attempts tend to increase when the weather conditions are good like this and last week. I suspect those organising the people smuggling or illegal boat trips tell the migrants it will be harder to cross the channel after 31st December to encourage them to hand over the money or get into debt with the criminal gangs.

Never mind 31 December - It'll be a damn site harder from September onwards - Channel gets kinda choppy.

Tories are desperate to move the news away from their dire handling of the real crisis - Covid.

Edited by Longcol

10 hours ago, Longcol said:

(...)

Tories are desperate to move the news away from their dire handling of the real crisis - Covid.

It's just as much about distracting from the unemployment figures (worst quarterly performance ever), the recession (worst amongst G7), the rampant corruption and cronyism, (...)

Basically, distracting from how much of a ****show the current government really is, reliably and across the whole board. But oh, lookit over there, brown people in dinghies invading like it's summer 2015 all over again :roll:

Glad I'm not practicing law in UK Courts. The complete and utter absence of any T&T puts staff, plaintiffs, defendants and barristers at incredible risk (6 staff infected at a Manchester Court last week), yet not a peep -never mind assistance- from the MoJ.

Edited by L00b

12 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Worst death rate in Europe.

Worst economic recession in Europe.

Belgium?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/

This fall is not as bad as the 22.7% decline in Spain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53748278

Edited by alchresearch

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Fair enough, I'll change it to :

Highest death rate in Europe.

2nd worst economic recession in Europe

UK Government response : "Hey, look at those asylum seekers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_strategy

*edit*

The point I was trying to make was not about the deaths or economy, it's about how the government are using the migrants as a distraction. 

Edited by whiteowl
clarification

3 hours ago, L00b said:

It's just as much about distracting from the unemployment figures (worst quarterly performance ever), the recession (worst amongst G7), the rampant corruption and cronyism, (...)

Meanwhile Priti Patel is stiring the pot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53741180

1 hour ago, whiteowl said:

*edit*

The point I was trying to make was not about the deaths or economy, it's about how the government are using the migrants as a distraction. 

But is it the government using it as a distraction or just targeting of the government by the media?

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

But is it the government using it as a distraction or just targeting of the government by the media?

I'd say its slow news week and the media are looking for anything new and different to coronavirus.

The migrant boats aren't new, Farage has been banging on about it for months.  ITV were the first to start covering it.  Then Sky sent out a boat, so the BBC followed.

Edited by alchresearch

Just now, apelike said:

No, the government are giving their media backers a nudge and they're poking Tory voters with a big stick. "I'm going to do somethjng" says pritti Patel "it might involve the Navy!" says a government source. 

Old Tory voters hate illegal immigrants. It's a perfect distraction from all the government's many other failings. And they get to blame the French and the EU! Cummings must be thrilled.

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I'd say its slow news week and the media are looking for anything new and different to coronavirus.

The migrant boats aren't new, Farage has been banging on about it for months.  ITV were the first to start covering it.  Then Sky sent out a boat, so the BBC followed.

Definitely a slow news week.

Second wave of Covid across Europe.

Biggest recession ever.

Chaos in exam system.

Plans to reopen schools still not finalised.

Trump goes mad (again).

No wonder the journos are scraping around, looking for a story.