Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

3 hours ago, Magilla said:

You can try, certainly.

You'll have to show you're in danger or will be persecuted by staying in the UK... can you? :?

Hmmm, it doesn't sound like you've quite grasped the concept at hand! :hihi:

So who is persecuting these  people in France and what danger are they in??.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't asylum seekers supposed to seek refuge in the first safe country the arrive in?.

If Cuttsie does take to the high seas in a dingy, France will be the first country he'd arrive in, so he'd be fine....if he can speak Frence, and if he can find French people who will speak to him   (they don't like the English!....  or assylum seekers!)

13 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

So who is persecuting these  people in France and what danger are they in??.

They are not French citizens, they're not applying for asylum in France.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't asylum seekers supposed to seek refuge in the first safe country the arrive in?.

Nope, they are under no such obligation.

Edited by Magilla

5 minutes ago, Magilla said:

They're not applying for asylum in France.

Nope, they are under no such obligation.

I didn't say they were asking for asylum in France, you said they were in danger and persecuted, I asked from who in France.

The danger and persecution in their own country is behind them.

Also tell me why they don't want asylum in France or Belgium.

Yes I've just checked they are not obligated

Edited by Alextopman

9 hours ago, West 77 said:

I doubt many of them are working legally. It's a long drawn out process. The truth is once they enter British waters they are more or less guaranteed to be allowed to remain on British soil and start planning for other members of their family to come and join them. Home Office figures roughly indicate 70% are granted asylum on their first application. Of those refused 60% are granted asylum on appeal. That leaves around 12% who are refused but the likelihood is they will never be deported for one reason or another. As Nigel Farage stated these economic migrants/criminals have effectively won the lottery when they step foot on British soil in Kent. Nothing will change unless our country withdraws from the 1951 refugee treaty and introduce new domestic laws and change the rules of how asylum applications are processed and introduce a fast track deportation process with no right of appeal.

My bold. 

So true as witnessed on a BBC news report a day after the dingy sinking.  The BBC reporter interviewed a man who said he was an Iraqi & the deaths had not put him off any attempt to try & make a similar crossing to the UK. 

Once here, (he assumes he will make it at some point? ), he intended to send for his wife & 3 children, (he assumes he'll be granted asylum?), & at some point his father & mother, (he assumes they'll all be allowed in?) who will be reunited with him? 

Based on the figures that you've provided for those granted asylum & the fact that we know that many of those refused asylum & have exhausted the asylum appeals are rarely deported, who can say that the Iraqi, currently in France, would be assuming everything will go as planned? 

37 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Once here, (he assumes he will make it at some point? ), he intended to send for his wife & 3 children, (he assumes he'll be granted asylum?), & at some point his father & mother, (he assumes they'll all be allowed in?) who will be reunited with him?

They could just pack their suitcases and come here for two weeks in Blackpool, then forget to return home.

9 minutes ago, El Cid said:

They could just pack their suitcases and come here for two weeks in Blackpool, then forget to return home.

Oh my God.  You've just exposed another route in. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

So true as witnessed on a BBC news report a day after the dingy sinking.  The BBC reporter interviewed a man who said he was an Iraqi & the deaths had not put him off any attempt to try & make a similar crossing to the UK. 

Based on the figures that you've provided for those granted asylum & the fact that we know that many of those refused asylum & have exhausted the asylum appeals are rarely deported, who can say that the Iraqi, currently in France, would be assuming everything will go as planned? 

So, this guy - if the story is true - is an economic migrant. If he was in danger, then so are the rest of his extended family, but he is prepared to leave them at the mercy of whatever he claims to be escaping from - 'in fear for his life' - pull the other one.

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

So, this guy - if the story is true - is an economic migrant. If he was in danger, then so are the rest of his extended family, but he is prepared to leave them at the mercy of whatever he claims to be escaping from - 'in fear for his life' - pull the other one.

My bold.

Exactly

The Iraqi bloke also mentioned that he'd been in France for about a year trying to get across.  Presumably he's also spent several months travelling through other EU countries (& possibly across Turkey) to get to northern France,  so as you say that's a long time to leave family at the mercy of 'whoever'? 

Edited by Baron99

Saw one last week just about to get on a dinghy, said he was happy going to England. Asked how long he had been in France , said 7 years but spent 5 years in a French prison 

and why why oh why do these poor people put themselves at such peril and risk to reach our little island??? all ready overcrowded and overstretched never mind in the midst of a so called pandemic! and still they come travelling and staying in safe countries closer to home some for up to 6 or 7 years......still the target is the Uk?? is this the land of milk and honey/ the promised land?? and when they get here they get all offended by our culture ? want to change the food and how its slaughtered, put up buildings that look nothing like the surrounding buildings (planning would never allow anyone else to build such monstrosities) 

create slums and ghettos where nobody else wants to live and drive the prices down, abuse the benefits system, mass abuse of local teens in many cities............mmmmm not going to end well.

Edited by ab6262