Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

3 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Easy George, they are young fit men who can find work and send money back to support their family.  My father came over from Ireland in the 60’s to do the hard graft for the likes of you who took all the credit.

Or , they are fit young men who will say , now  I am here I want my wife and kids to join me . And my Inlaws and my auntie Fanny 

2 hours ago, harvey19 said:

I have wondered about this myself.

The camps could be unused army barracks and run on disciplined lines where they were kept at clean and tidy standards.

Seeing as most of the immigrants are young men this should not be a problem.

In return for board and food they could do jobs such as fruit and vegetable picking or removing graffiti.

I think the residents of Kent and east Sussex might have some objections.

4 minutes ago, St Petre said:

I think the residents of Kent and east Sussex might have some objections.

Why ?

They would be doing useful work for the community which I am sure fit young men would welcome doing.

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

Why ?

They would be doing useful work for the community which I am sure fit young men would welcome doing.

Why ?  Well there are lots of 'fit young men' doing 'useful work' in and for the communities in the Page Hall, Firvale and Burngreave areas of Sheffield right now .

Edited by St Petre
add

The work idea would be used until claims to settle here were decided.

The woman who drowned was coming to join her fiancé,couldn’t she just fly in.

18 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

The woman who drowned was coming to join her fiancé,couldn’t she just fly in.

Chances are she “lost” her passport and Id on her journey 

Intresting news snippet, as stated in the BBC's news report tonight regarding the mini summit between the French, Belgiums, Dutch, German & EU representatives. 

The French have stated that at least half the migrants living in the various illegal camps around Calais, Dunkirk etc, have actually arrived from Belgium. 

Le  buck passing? 

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

The French have stated that at least half the migrants living in the various illegal camps around Calais, Dunkirk etc, have actually arrived from Belgium. 

Le  buck passing? 

The nearest bit of Belgium to the UK is about twice the distance that Calais is. It's not surprising that people wanting to cross the channel by small inflatable dinghy would want to travel the shortest distance. Also, it's doubtful many set out to use the most dangerous method of crossing rather than first attempting to use a safer one such as stowing away on a lorry. They are hardly going to do that at those ports with the strictest checks (e.g. Calais). So them moving to the Calais region after trying, and failing, to hop on a lorry elsewhere wouldn't require any encouragement from the Belgian authorities.

If there was more equality in the world: enough food, peace, education, equality of opportunity etc,  I'm sure most people would be happy to stay in their home countries and build decent fulfilling lives. If we can work towards that, this problem would go away. 

Unfortunately we in the affluent West have created many of the problems that now beset foreign countries, going back centuries, by taking the wealth from other countries for our own benefit leaving them poor. And we continue to add to the problems, living in a divided world of have and have-nots, where well intentioned help can often be misdirected and rife with corruption. 

Re-balance the world and we would do away with a lot of the world's problems.    

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

If there was more equality in the world: enough food, peace, education, equality of opportunity etc,  I'm sure most people would be happy to stay in their home countries and build decent fulfilling lives. If we can work towards that, this problem would go away. 

Unfortunately we in the affluent West have created many of the problems that now beset foreign countries, going back centuries, by taking the wealth from other countries for our own benefit leaving them poor. And we continue to add to the problems, living in a divided world of have and have-nots, where well intentioned help can often be misdirected and rife with corruption. 

Re-balance the world and we would do away with a lot of the world's problems.    

thats the biggest load of idealistic clap trap i have ever heard, you do know the world will never ever ever be equal? there are always going to be winners and losers ? a lot of the foreign problems in relation to equality are prehistoric religion led?

oh of course its the west thats caused it all!!?? of course in your eyes but the west has also brought wealth and a living to these poor countries they produce the worlds goods and food.

i do however agree that the corruption at the top of these producing countries needs addressing especially as we still pour out foreign aid to countries like India and Pakistan.