Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Please educate me. Why do many of the other countries have camps for illegal migrants waiting to be processed but we don't?

Serious question. I really don't know enough about it. Couldn't it be purpose built on or near the coast with reasonable facillities for families, or near all these fields that need their fruit and vegetables picking?  Would that be so wrong?

Just trying to think round the problem for possible solutions or not.

When our economy was in need of workers, it was better for the Government for immigrants to just fade away into the black economy, as non are sent back, or very few.

What is the point of a 'camp'? Local Authorities dont want them, because they have had budget cuts for years and they are not allowed to increase local taxes.

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's a no brainer that if all economic migrants crossing the English Channel illegally on inflatable  boats were returned to France that the problem would lessen. The untrustworthy French are a massive contributor to the problem and should face international sanctions for aiding and abetting economic migrants illegal activity. 

Our economy has been growing, with the help of a rising population.

28 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I was thinking of Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Libya etc.

The Saudi regime is busy creating refugees in Yemen (with British and American-made weapons) while the Iranian government are doing the same but with Russian weapons. 4 million displaced so far. The UK has sold £3.6bn of weapons to the Saudis since that conflict began, but apparently we "can't afford" to put up a few refugees. 

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Please educate me. Why do many of the other countries have camps for illegal migrants waiting to be processed but we don't?

Serious question. I really don't know enough about it. Couldn't it be purpose built on or near the coast with reasonable facillities for families, or near all these fields that need their fruit and vegetables picking?  Would that be so wrong?

Just trying to think round the problem for possible solutions or not.

I have wondered about this myself.

The camps could be unused army barracks and run on disciplined lines where they were kept at clean and tidy standards.

Seeing as most of the immigrants are young men this should not be a problem.

In return for board and food they could do jobs such as fruit and vegetable picking or removing graffiti.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Well, that's very interesting. Thankyou. I've never  heard it mentioned in regards to this country.

However, I think the most important words to consider are  ' You may be Eligible to apply for financial support of up to £3,000.' There are so many caveats built into that sentence I wonder how many actually manage to get it.

Not known for its generosity, what this government says and what it does are often miles apart. And they're also known for reneging on promises. They're famous for it.

Please don't make it political. As with any application to the home office, it has specific eligibility criteria. 

4 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I have wondered about this myself.

The camps could be unused army barracks and run on disciplined lines where they were kept at clean and tidy standards.

Seeing as most of the immigrants are young men this should not be a problem.

In return for board and food they could do jobs such as fruit and vegetable picking or removing graffiti.

We did use Barracks last year but everyone kicked off because of the conditions

4 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Please don't make it political. As with any application to the home office, it has specific eligibility criteria. 

We did use Barracks last year but everyone kicked off because of the conditions

Which had been deemed unfit for living in years before.

Obviously the barracks should be fit for purpose but the occupants need to keep them up to an acceptable standard.

7 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Yes. But if we kick off because if barracks we certainly won't have camps

25 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Would be a luxury after living in the woods , in a tent , in the winter 

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Would be a luxury after living in the woods , in a tent , in the winter 

Just seen an Iraqi woman on news saying can't go back,no money,no house,so has she got this in the UK?just seen the kids,my heart bleeds for them.

Edited by ukdobby

I have no problem with family's  inc women and kids seeking a safe life in the West , The thing that ****** me off is that these boats are full off mostly fit young men . Why are they not fighting the regimes who they are fleeing from , why are they accepting the right to leave the women and kids behind while they get a shot at a good carry on in the west inc the UK . It seems to me they have no pride or morals ..

11 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I have no problem with family's  inc women and kids seeking a safe life in the West , The thing that ****** me off is that these boats are full off mostly fit young men . Why are they not fighting the regimes who they are fleeing from , why are they accepting the right to leave the women and kids behind while they get a shot at a good carry on in the west inc the UK . It seems to me they have no pride or morals ..

Easy George, they are young fit men who can find work and send money back to support their family.  My father came over from Ireland in the 60’s to do the hard graft for the likes of you who took all the credit.

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

Easy George, they are young fit men who can find work and send money back to support their family.  My father came over from Ireland in the 60’s to do the hard graft for the likes of you who took all the credit.

Likes of me ??????? , I grafted in the building trade for 50 years so likes of me please explain. By the way good on your dad but what was he running away from .

As to work then they are not allowed to work until granted asylum , Just take a walk around Town .