Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

A rather amusing contribution.  Perhaps I should have mentioned a family member who had  to have dealings with the coroners office because a foreign doctor (African) made spelling mistakes and other mistakes when providing the information necessary for a death certificate to be issued.  

I was under the impression a shortage of economic migrants was one of the main reasons why most remain voters decided to vote remain.  Magilla keeps banging on about that reason.

I am sure that you have a cast of thousands to support your spurious imaginings.One for every occasion.

So far we have an Indian doctor,a London Remain voter and an African doctor who cannot spell.

Keep them coming and as there is obvious potential for an updated Till death do us part meets Citizen Khan.

The shortage of immigrant workers was certainly a factor that was raised by the more perceptive voters,but mainly in connection with Doctors,nurses and caring professions.

It has since proved damaging across the economy from crop picking,lorry driving ,building trade and the service industries.

But strictly on topic,anyone who cannot have feelings for desperate men,women and children who risk everything for a better life is lacking humanity.

32 minutes ago, RJRB said:

So far we have an Indian doctor,a London Remain voter and an African doctor who cannot spell.

Keep them coming and as there is obvious potential for an updated Till death do us part meets Citizen Khan.

Sounds like Mind Your Language!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5AYKOvCD99d7w3XcEZpM

You make a good point about the education system West 77. Remember watching the excellent Guy Martin when he traveled to Russia. He was chatting to a group of lads having a kick about and asked what career choices they had made. The answers were, welding, engineering, mechanic, etc. Compare that to our kids who think being a YouTube influencer or unboxer is an actual job. That’s of course, after they have decided what gender they are. Also let’s start binning useless qualifications. My mate has run his own company for decades and I can assure you any CV that crosses his desk with Media Studies on it gets instantly filed in the bin. To finish let’s also realise that not all kids are academically inclined. Even if they leave school and go straight into labouring for the local brickie they won’t be dossing about causing trouble and will be spending their wages largely in the local community.

Nothing unusual about folk wanting to move to somewhere where they think that they will live a better life. If this were not the case the North & South American Continents would be inhabited by their own native populace. This goes for Australia, New Zealand and a page full of others, or am I imagining this?

I’ve a lot more respect for folk who risk their lives to try to lead a better life, than for those that have never taken a risk in their lives. I know descendants of German Jews who’s predecessors would rather risk, at best a beating, or at worse the gas chambers, in order to escape the Nazis.

Unusually for me I would like to pray to a god that he, she or it, would never allow me to turn my back on folk less fortunate than me, atheism does have its downside.

Edited by crookesey

But it’s good to be out in the garden.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The good October weather over the last few days has resulted in over one thousand one hundred economic migrants being accepted in just the last 48 hours alone.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

That's good news, they can help address our delivery driver and nurse shortages as discussed in other threads.

I'm sure we have enough of our own to fill the vacancies.

Nearly every person the £20 credit is going to hit says they're unemployed because there's no jobs out there!

40 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

I'm sure we have enough of our own to fill the vacancies.

Nearly every person the £20 credit is going to hit says they're unemployed because there's no jobs out there!

How many among these UC claimants are-

doctors?

vets?

nurses?

butchers?

HGV drivers?

customs agents?

(etc)

I’m sure you won’t mind doing without these for a few more years, while you train your own…

…and then hope and pray that they don’t clear off to Dubai or Sidney the very second they pocket their exam certs.

The training could be happening now,there's loadsa vacancies in the hospitality sectors,retraining is short in some industries.I

I bet you was saying 5 years ago the unemployed aren't doctors ect.

Edited by ukdobby

Why aren't the young men trying to improve their own countries or look after their old, sick at home.

43 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

The training could be happening now,there's loadsa vacancies in the hospitality sectors,retraining is short in some industries.I

I bet you was saying 5 years ago the unemployed aren't doctors ect.

No, 5 years ago I was saying that the UK would fast run out of doctors, vets, nurses (etc) if the Leave vote won and the UK went onto a hard Brexit.

Oh, and in this very thread (alright maybe not 5 years ago, but very early on), I was saying that you’d get lumped with more Calais migrants after Brexit, because it would take the UK outside the scope of the Dublin Regs, and that you’d be lucky if France did not rip up the Le Touquet agreements of old and shunt your border and border staff from Calais back to Kent.

Now I’m hearing in the news that, true to current form, the UK has completely welshed on its £54m funding commitments about that ‘UK border in Calais’. What with the French presidential elections just around the corner, to say nothing of the current UK-FR relations, there’s time yet for that second one 😉

I’d say the better Marine Le Penn does on the run up to these elections in 2022, the stronger the likelihood of that Le Touquet rip-up…rather the conundrum for EU/France/immigrant -haters, eh? 😆

On 13/09/2021 at 11:41, West 77 said:

it's a scandal and a national failure our country has to rely on foreign doctors.  More home produced doctors are needed but this requires a long term project starting at schools. Far too many young people are going into further education to do mickey mouse courses rather than studying medicine.  Incentives such as a  carrot and stick policy need to be introduced.  The country needs a modern day nation service scheme for young people before they  go to work in their chosen career.  Instead of serving in military for eighteen months all young people should have to spend time working in designated sectors such as on fruit of vegetable farms unless they are studying medicine.  Also has a further incentive students studying medicine should be exempt from paying any fees and provided with free accommodation. 

You are correct any doctor is better than no doctor.  However, the truth is based on my own conversations  with real people that given the choice most people would prefer to be treated by a British doctor (including Scottish) rather than a foreign doctor. What is not in doubt is that there will not be many qualified competent doctors making their way to our shores on inflatable boats leaving the French coast.

Where, at your local NF meetings?

As for the comment about either working on fruit and veg picking, or studying medicine, idiotic. Do we have enough fruit farms to support the huge influx of untrained young people, or the infrastructure or the support structure. You know, like the armed forces do, at huge expense. What are your other designated sectors?