Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

Given the cynical manipulation of the internationally recognised law of the sea leading to our own patrol craft being used as taxis we should just stop patrolling. Instead just wait for low tide then install WW2 era beach obstacles in the affected areas. Cheap and effective.

56 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Some of us still remember the days when 57% was regarded as a failure... :roll:

I guess they could stop 0% :?

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Nonsense.

Ahhh, presumably they forgot to mention that on GB News :rolleyes: :hihi:

11 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The real truthful figure will be nearer 0% than 57%

Oh dear, yet again reality doesn't tally with your ill-informed wet dreams :?

Since the UK is now a 3rd country, any efforts France's makes is a goodwill gesture, not an obligation.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

Hand car washing?

Got you now. You're thinking about the French navy who kindly help the economic migrants to reach British waters.

Careful, your bigotry is showing.

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

Oh dear, yet again reality doesn't tally with your ill-informed wet dreams :?

Since the UK is now a 3rd country, any efforts France's makes is a goodwill gesture, not an obligation.

Isn't Britain PAYING France 50 million quid towards getting a grip on the migrant crisis?!

46 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Isn't Britain PAYING France 50 million quid towards getting a grip on the migrant crisis?!

How is stopping a significant percentage of attempted crossings from France to the UK not a step towards that?

The French aren't obliged to help at all, maybe they won't since Patel threatened to not pay up.

5 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Given the cynical manipulation of the internationally recognised law of the sea leading to our own patrol craft being used as taxis we should just stop patrolling. Instead just wait for low tide then install WW2 era beach obstacles in the affected areas. Cheap and effective.

To take your idea further the German coast defences on the Normandy beaches failed to repel a determined assault.

Reading some of the foregoing comments we are obviously under a daily attack by invaders and a few beach obstacles seems an improbable solution considering the hardships that these refugees have overcome to get so far.

6 hours ago, West 77 said:

Hand car washing?

Got you now. You're thinking about the French navy who kindly help the economic migrants to reach British waters.

That and a host of other jobs such as looking after you in your dotage.

6 hours ago, Jim117 said:

I'm sure the seaside towns along the south coast that rely on tourism would be delighted at the effects that would have on their prosperity.

As I've posted before, the problem is that refugees are directed towards the UK as they are told how good they will be treated here.  Part is true, but part is told to them in other countries just to pass them on to the UK.  They are willing to brave the perilous journey for the "riches" on our shores.  Despite rhetoric, the Tories have not been able to do anything about it.

What it needs is a publicity campaign aimed at the countries they come from (especially the economic migrants), showing the details of those washed up who didn't make it, the squalor of the accommodation some end up in, reports of bodies found in trucks and so on.  Perhaps that will do some good in stopping them coming to the UK, and real migrants may settle in France, Germany or wherever instead.

37 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

As I've posted before, the problem is that refugees are directed towards the UK as they are told how good they will be treated here.  Part is true, but part is told to them in other countries just to pass them on to the UK.  They are willing to brave the perilous journey for the "riches" on our shores.  Despite rhetoric, the Tories have not been able to do anything about it.

Back in the 60s it was the USA which was the recomended place and probably still is for the poorer countries that are close to the USA, my Dads sister went

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

No foreigner regardless of whether they are an illegal migrant will be looking after me in my dotage.

Do you have the same policy on doctors and nurses?

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

No foreigner regardless of whether they are an illegal migrant will be looking after me in my dotage.

I usually agree with you and go along with your side of things but that post is just wrong