Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

We gave the French £54 million, how many patrol boats would that buy?

One or less, if you’re talking Navy-grade boats, fully-kitted out and crewed.

Actually the UK has not pay that yet.

The UK undertook to pay that, as contribution towards (continuing to-) managing illegals on French soil.

But then Patel, just now, changed that undertaking to “we’ll only pay on results”,

and defined such results as “stopping 3 boats out of 4”…whilst admitting in the same breadth that France had stopped 50% of the boats already (which is therefore a 50% result, any which way you want want to look at it), before any payment.

So, how about 50% of that £54m, then? No?

Alright, how about the French stop 0% of the boats, and Patel keeps her money instead? Much cheaper for the French taxpayers that way…and there’s an election coming up soon.

9 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Priti Patel has with held the £54 million because she knows the French can't be trusted .

How about the untrustworthy French returning the hundreds of millions they have fleeced off the British taxpayer over the years which they have taken on false pretences?

😂

In the words (more or less) of Interior Minister Darmanin this week,

“sit and spin, Tory boy”😏 

Edited by L00b

This is a one of the great conundrums of our times - illegal immigration. 

The bleedin' obvious question that has been voiced for the last few years is : Are all these Border "Force" vessels deployed to prevent illegal immigration or to assist it? Because, as it is, our boats are the final link in a criminal supply chain stretching back some thousands of miles, and the criminals are making a lot of money. 

"Change the law", you may demand. Yes, parliament could pass new legislation as a sort of virility demonstration, with all the shouting and grandstanding that goes with it, but criminals don't take notice of the law, which may come as a shock to Westminster. The worldwide  drugs business is thriving, one of the world's most lucrative illegal - and untaxed -  industries. You could pass a million laws but it would continue unabated.  

As I understand it, three "laws" are involved. French laws regarding their inshore waters and border procedure, and British laws likewise. In the middle is the law of the sea. Once the boats leave French inshore waters then all on board are entitled to assistance, anad so on.. Hence the current impasse, which I have to - reluctantly - accept will continue for many years to come. There will be a steady and sizeable stream of migrants looking to relocate from sub-saharan Africa, the Middle East and anywhere else with oppressive, corrupt regimes, warfare, and economic hardship. The final 20 mile/4 hour dinghy ride to the UK is a risk worth taking. 

At a young age I was told, by a person wiser than myself, that you can do two things about a problem. Sort it, or live with it, and I found that to be accurate. 

Apologies for the long winded post, but I can't see anyway to stop the criminals doing what they are doing. They are supplying to a demand, the basis of all business. We need a really workable structure to deal with the outcome. The irony is that someone from - say - Peru who wants to come here as an engineer and work may be obliged to hitch a lift on a rubber raft rather than go through the Kafka-like application system. 

Here's a disaster waitng to happen...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58504016

Will end in death, I'm sure. Just as I'm sure I'll get a response saying they don't have to set out in the first place. They don't, but we shouldn't be endangering lives in the middle of the Channel either.

I also question why our Home Secretary has got the time to personally approve any of these actions.

7 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Stop being a drama Queen, everyone knows it's only a bluff to tow the economic migrants back to the French coast.  The truth is the government haven't the backbone to take such action.  If the government were serious they would be planning to use big military helicopters to blow the economic migrants back to the French coast.  The big problem is the economic migrants know once they enter the water on the French coast on a calm day to start their journey to British waters the risk to their life is extremely low and certainly much lower than being trapped in a shipping container.

And what, drown them in the process? I would have a problem with that, would you?

20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Stop being a drama Queen, everyone knows it's only a bluff to tow the economic migrants back to the French coast.  The truth is the government haven't the backbone to take such action.  If the government were serious they would be planning to use big military helicopters to blow the economic migrants back to the French coast.  The big problem is the economic migrants know once they enter the water on the French coast on a calm day to start their journey to British waters the risk to their life is extremely low and certainly much lower than being trapped in a shipping container.

You are exhibiting every bit as much meaningless bluster as Patel.

Migration of people for numerous reasons has existed as long as man(or animals) have roamed the earth.

If it is a problem then we “suffer” far less than many other countries.

We should be proud that the  peoples of the whole World wants to live here ,inc those in France .

The boats need to be sunk. NOT while out at sea with people on them, before people have a fit! I mean wherever they're moored up by the people traffickers.

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I think these people trafficker chaps are quite savvy and don't actually moor the inflatable boats up to be sitting ducks.  Too many Pearl Harbor films are to blame for giving the people traffickers the heads up. 

I thought that many of the migrants were taken 3 quarters of the way across on boats before being sent of in an inflatable dingy the rest of the way?

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

I suggest you contact the Home Office and offer to accommodate two or three of these economic migrants in your own home.

I would prefer to employ them so that they can pay for their own accommodation,just as Irish,Ugandan Asians,persecuted Jewish refugees,Pakistanis,Indians etc,etc have done for the enrichment of the British Economy,

There seems to be a few job vacancies to fill at the moment.

Any more bright ideas ?

12 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Got you now. You're thinking about the French navy who kindly help the economic migrants to reach British waters.

Not true though is it, they have stopped over 57% of attempted crossings.

A figure acknowledged by British officials :?

6 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Not true though is it, they have stopped over 57% of attempted crossings.

A figure acknowledged by British officials :?

Hmmm... :huh:

Some of us still remember the days when 57% was regarded as a failure... :roll: