Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

So we should build on every piece of land, tell that to the planning department.

Issues such as exceeding the Earth's carrying capacity, global warming, potential or imminent ecological collapse.

Did I say we should build on every piece of land? No I did not.  Did I imply it? No I did not.

A quick google suggests we have enough brownfield sites to build 961000 dwellings. How many people are crossing the channel in dinghys? More or less than that number?

Unless you are suggesting we drown them, they’ll be adding to global warming somewhere. Now, talking of ecological collapse, what do we do about modern farming?

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Did I say we should build on every piece of land? No I did not.  Did I imply it? No I did not.

A quick google suggests we have enough brownfield sites to build 961000 dwellings. How many people are crossing the channel in dinghys? More or less than that number?

Unless you are suggesting we drown them, they’ll be adding to global warming somewhere. Now, talking of ecological collapse, what do we do about modern farming?

Where do you suggest we get the extra capacity from for these 961000 dwellings, water, electricity, gas, sewage, roads.

7 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

The ONS states that population growth marks an increase of 0.6%, or an addition of 395,000 people, between mid-2017 and mid-2018 – the same rate of population growth as in the previous year.

Net migration to the UK was estimated to be 270,000 in 2019, down from a peak of 331,000 in the year ending March 2015.

If we just assume that is roughly 100,000 increase in population down to more births than deaths and people living longer, that is reflected throughout the world.

When will the planet be full?

2 hours ago, retep said:

Where do you suggest we get the extra capacity from for these 961000 dwellings, water, electricity, gas, sewage, roads.

Mr Porritt has some ideas for you. This is from the website that you linked to last night.

You are correct to highlight the resources problem. All citizens of the U.K. need to start consuming fewer resources, then there will be more to go round.

https://populationmatters.org/the-facts/resources-consumption

13 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Mr Porritt has some ideas for you. This is from the website that you linked to last night.

You are correct to highlight the resources problem. All citizens of the U.K. need to start consuming fewer resources, then there will be more to go round.

https://populationmatters.org/the-facts/resources-consumption

Which puts building more housing and inviting more people to the party an act of stupidity,

the site also points out "The densely-populated south-east of England is ranked in the bottom 10% of global regions for ability to supply water to its inhabitants."

12 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Anything after 2010?

he'll be turning vegan next as well as a lefty with his new found love for wildlife

23 minutes ago, retep said:

Which puts building more housing and inviting more people to the party an act of stupidity,

the site also points out "The densely-populated south-east of England is ranked in the bottom 10% of global regions for ability to supply water to its inhabitants."

You don’t get it, do you?

9 minutes ago, melthebell said:

he'll be turning vegan next as well as a lefty with his new found love for wildlife

Membership of  Population  Matters  is only £2:50 a month. For that, you get a newsletter and invitations to take part in group activities to ensure a sustainable future for our planet.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

You don’t get it, do you?

Membership of  Population  Matters  is only £2:50 a month. For that, you get a newsletter and invitations to take part in group activities to ensure a sustainable future for our planet.

Do they still believe in zero net immigration to the country?

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/charity-which-campaigned-to-ban-syrian-refugees-from-britain/

27 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

If you look at their website, you’ll see a clear statement about that.

I can summarise for you:

No.

Chief Constable Mahoney is now in charge,  wasn't he in Police Accadamy, :hihi:

On 27/08/2020 at 12:48, the_bloke said:

Reducing the earths and the UKs population is certainly a good aim, but the measures needed to bring it about would not be supported by enough people.

We cannot even stop those in dinghies coming to the UK, never mind address the wider issue.

On 26/08/2020 at 22:25, Halibut said:

What an asinine and frankly, racist,  thing to say.

Halibut, what’s happened to you? Missing your views on topics of the day.