Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

5 minutes ago, retep said:

Perhaps a one in one out could be the answer, any volunteers from our resident lefties.

How many are you volunteering to put up or pay for?

Now don’t get all shirty. You’ve given us a link in support of your argument. The link clearly states that refugees aren’t the problem. Either read more carefully next time, or try thinking properly. It’s not my fault that you didn’t check your source.

I think the U.K. should let the refugees trying to cross the channel use the ferries. Then they can be properly assessed and processed without the risk of drowning. I’m very happy for my Income tax to pay for that.

7 minutes ago, retep said:

Perhaps a one in one out could be the answer, any volunteers 

Maybe some of the gammons frothing over Land of Hope and Glory could pop over to Syria for a decade or two and learn what makes people desperate enough to risk their lives fleeing from it and could extend a welcome to some more nice Syrian families.

1 hour ago, retep said:

Depends on who you believe,

"As an island nation with limited land area and natural resources, the United Kingdom is under tremendous population pressure.

The UK is one of the most nature-depleted countries in the world and with no end to population growth in sight, pressure on wildlife, housing, public services and resources will continue to grow."

https://populationmatters.org/the-facts/uk

Oh yeah, wildlife is getting battered at every turn, I'm not sure a few hundred sea faring migrants are going to tip the balance.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Oh yeah, wildlife is getting battered at every turn, I'm not sure a few hundred sea faring migrants are going to tip the balance.

They'll probably eat what wildlife is left.

6 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Maybe some of the gammons frothing over Land of Hope and Glory could pop over to Syria for a decade or two and learn what makes people desperate enough to risk their lives fleeing from it and could extend a welcome to some more nice Syrian families.

So that's one off the list.

2 minutes ago, retep said:

They'll probably eat what wildlife is left.

What an asinine and frankly, racist,  thing to say.

Edited by Halibut

Just now, Halibut said:

What an asinine and frankly, racist,  thing to say.

Not really as there are accounts of them doing so, perhaps you'd rather they starve.

Just now, retep said:

Not really as there are accounts of them doing so, perhaps you'd rather they starve.

Really? Apart from a few Poles poaching fish (which shouldn't be happening) I've not heard of much. Can you give a few examples and where it's having a meaningful impact on certain species?

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Really? Apart from a few Poles poaching fish (which shouldn't be happening) I've not heard of much. Can you give a few examples and where it's having a meaningful impact on certain species?

Not hard to find,

"Slaughter of the swans: As carcasses pile up and migrant camps are built on river banks, Peterborough residents are too frightened to visit the park"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1261044/Slaughter-swans-As-carcasses-pile-crude-camps-built-river-banks-residents-frightened-visit-park-Peterborough.html

7 minutes ago, retep said:

Not hard to find,

"Slaughter of the swans: As carcasses pile up and migrant camps are built on river banks, Peterborough residents are too frightened to visit the park"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1261044/Slaughter-swans-As-carcasses-pile-crude-camps-built-river-banks-residents-frightened-visit-park-Peterborough.html

Anything after 2010?

6 minutes ago, retep said:

Not hard to find,

Horrible, I hope those concerned are prosecuted. I'm not convinced it has had a major impact on swans in the greater Peterborough area.

Here's another arse killing wildlife, hopefully he got deported back to *checks notes* Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-39638665

Speaking of shooting wildlife, Prince Philip is still at large.

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

The solutions suggested on that page don't include stopping immigration / refugees / asylum seekers.

As more people live longer we need more people to pay for their pensions - or we need to decrease pensions - or increase taxes on the existing population.

Which do you choose?

I'm surprised this one didn't get more attention as it's essentially what is happening which is why no Government in recent years has been that serious about stopping immigration.

Indigenous birth rates are declining but people are living longer. Bearing in mind the old age pension, when it was created, was essentially borrowed from the next generation as we didn't have a pot of gold to spend. The taxes/national insurance you pay now are not for your pension but for the existing pensioners and the taxes that our children pay will pay for our pensions. At the moment, we have a decreasing birthrate but an increasing number of pensioners - fairly obvious there is going to be a shortfall.

Several options are available (these are my thoughts, there are probably more which I would be interested in hearing): 

(a) increase the pension age (which they are doing)

(b) decrease the pension

(c) increase the number of tax payers (immigration)

(d) increase taxes to pay for it

All options have their pros and cons but from a political point of view, ie trying to get elected: Nobody votes for increased taxes, the grey vote would seriously mess with anyone reducing their pensions and nobody votes to work until their 80 (although they are creeping this one in) so what's left?

Answers on a postcard.

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Not full.

How much of your area is built on? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41901294

Now we can wax lyrical on how climate climate change is effecting our country and wildlife, the impact of modern farming methods, plastic pollution etc, but we aren’t full.

So we should build on every piece of land, tell that to the planning department.

Issues such as exceeding the Earth's carrying capacity, global warming, potential or imminent ecological collapse.