Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

4 hours ago, apelike said:

But is it the government using it as a distraction or just targeting of the government by the media?

There is no migrant 'crisis'.

Yet this 'crisis' is headlining in the British MSM, with several outfits sending camera crews to track the dinghy or two of asylum seekers in the Channel like they were covering the America's Cup.

I'm quite struggling to understand where and how the media is 'targeting' the government, given the  volume of significantly more important developments crucial to the UK's national interest, that are a country mile or ten away from getting similar, headlining attention.

Edited by L00b

27 minutes ago, L00b said:

I'm quite struggling to understand where and how the media is 'targeting' the government, given the  volume of significantly more important developments crucial to the UK's national interest, that are a country mile or ten away from getting similar, headlining attention.

Good, that's why it was posed as a question so its good to know what you think.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I can summarise any potential response:

U.K / Brexiteers / Government = bad

EU / Migrants = good

Loobs current country of residence = very good and any response by said government is correct

On 12 August 2020 at 18:50, apelike said:

Since you asked the question, what do you think?

On 12 August 2020 at 20:06, Delayed said:

I can summarise any potential response:

U.K / Brexiteers / Government = bad

EU / Migrants = good

Loobs current country of residence = very good and any response by said government is correct

R U OK hun?

If you backtrack 1 post above apelike's, which you quoted, you can find my reply to his question.

Edited by L00b

<deleted>

Edited by L00b
post redundant after earlier one restored

Out and about this morning, I noticed that someone has bothered to get some black on yellow stickers printed, endorsed with "Don't believe the lies", and stuck it right across the "Keep 2m apart" A2 sign that the bus company has stuck on the bus shelter glass.

At least the original served a purpose...

23 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Definitely a slow news week.

Second wave of Covid across Europe.

Biggest recession ever.

Chaos in exam system.

Plans to reopen schools still not finalised.

Trump goes mad (again).

No wonder the journos are scraping around, looking for a story.

You forgot a sighting at Loch Ness.

August is usually silly season for headlines.

The body of a 16 Yr old has been found on a beach at Sangatte on the  northern French coast.  He is believed to have drowned in The Channel? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-53835374

Heard a radio report earlier where refugee charities are calling for the resignation of the Home Secretary, Priti Patel as they believe this incident is her fault as there are no securitous immigration routes into the UK that would prevent such a tragedy?  

What utter & ridiculous rubbish, calling for Patel's head. 

Yes this is a terrible tradegy but the migrant who has died could have put an end to his to his situation at any point by claiming asylum in the numerous countries he passed thorough. 

As for migrants not having a secure route into the UK, again rubbish.  The UK like many countries, take the genuine refugees from refugee camps set up by the UN, to deal with the genuine cases who are fleeing their war torn countries. 

The ones to blame here are the people traffickers and it doesn't help that charities working both in the UK & over the other side of The Channel are seemingly helping the people traffickers in perpetuating a dream of a better life in the UK by not deterring migrants from paying the traffickers & having them risk their lives attempting a crossing. 

I've seen  & heard a number of interviews over the years with charity workers but I don't recall any, even those at the senior management level, condemning the people traffickers?  Their claims of injustice is always directed at the UK Govt. 

Edited by Baron99

And if you want to know how Nazi germany happened, have a read of the comments attached to this story on the daily mail website.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

The ones to blame here are the people traffickers and it doesn't help that charities working both in the UK & over the other side of The Channel are seemingly helping the people traffickers in perpetuating a dream of a better life in the UK by not deterring migrants from paying the traffickers & having them risk their lives attempting a crossing. 

I've seen  & heard a number of interviews over the years with charity workers but I don't recall any, even those at the senior management level, condemning the people traffickers?  Their claims of injustice is always directed at the UK Govt. 

Can you think of a way to render the people traffickers redundant?

It would be a very easy thing to do. And we’d very likely save a fortune too. As well as avoiding any further tragedies like today’s.

People traffickers demand money.

How much do you reckon this young lad and many others have at their disposal.

On 19/08/2020 at 19:31, RJRB said:

People traffickers demand money.

How much do you reckon this young lad and many others have at their disposal.

Not much but they are indebted and pursued for payment once they arrive at their destination, possibly housed in overcrowded and high rent HOMO and forced to work in unregulated employment for unregulated pay. Illegal migrants are being ‘sold’ a dream but often experience a nightmare payment 

Edited by catmiss
Addition

8 hours ago, catmiss said:

Not much but they are indebted and pursued for payment once they arrive at their destination, possibly housed in overcrowded and high rent HOMO and forced to work in unregulated employment for unregulated pay. Illegal migrants are being ‘sold’ a dream but often experience a nightmare payment 

Yes they're sold a dream, whilst the traffickers are living the dream.