Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I view this as a minor problem, I am just using the language of others in order to engage in discussion.

Our border boats would need to be very close to the French coast in order to turn the dinghies around.

That stretch of coastline would need to be patrolled 24/7 by 2 border boats. But the question would be, what would the border boats do?

So, effectively sending border force boats and/or royal navy vessels uninvited into French territorial waters.

Alexa, show me how to start a war with a NATO ally.

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

So, effectively sending border force boats and/or royal navy vessels uninvited into French territorial waters.

As far as I know you don't need to be invited to sail in any territorial waters as it allows passage to all but with some exceptions.

11 minutes ago, apelike said:

As far as I know you don't need to be invited to sail in any territorial waters as it allows passage to all but with some exceptions.

Like warships perhaps?

Lets put another way, if the French navy rocked up a mile or two  off the Kentish coast farage would explode.

12 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Like warships perhaps?

No, warships are allowed passage. 

Lets put another way, if the French navy rocked up a mile or two  off the Kentish coast farage would explode.

What you seem to be ignoring though is that this initiative is being put forward with the agreement of the French.

Edited by apelike

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A war isn't going to be started by the UK simply returning migrants to the coastline where they set off from in France.  The UK needs to be more forceful with the French because it's a waste of time and money attempting to get them to cooperate.

How difficult would it be for these dinghies to use a different beech area to cross? People can swim accross the channel, if the boats were not over loaded, I would guess crossing would be easy. How much do these dinghies cost, around £1,000? Or they could just find another way.

16 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A war isn't going to be started by the UK simply returning migrants to the coastline where they set off from in France.  The UK needs to be more forceful with the French because it's a waste of time and money attempting to get them to cooperate.

I wonder what would happen if the French did stop cooperating.

You should go and see the extent of their cooperation.  A trip to Calais might remove your blinkers, they do absolutely loads.

33 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I wonder what would happen if the French did stop cooperating.

You should go and see the extent of their cooperation.  A trip to Calais might remove your blinkers, they do absolutely loads.

Quite true, they are obliged to under EU law...

...which no longer includes the UK.

55 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Yep, I can see after the transition period, the French just waving them through. What would they have to gain by hindering them?

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

It does and is still in effect until the transition period ends.

The polemics can get very confrontational. Why, I want to know, don't these migrants want to settle in France? It's a larger country, with more space. Indeed some rural settlements are almost depopulated. France is so nice that a lot of English go and live there. So why the lemming like efforts to cross the channel?

I accept that, if our Border Force encounter a dinghy full of people in mid channel, they have little option but to bring them ashore in Dover. We are all humanists.

But we all - you, me, the folks next door - live under a rule of law. Some of the laws we may not like, or consider silly, but laws they are and we have to live by them.

There are laws regarding entry into this country. So why must we suspend them constantly to accomodate these boat people. If we are going to allow them in we may as well change the law.

But a chap on social media was offering his services to the UK. He and his pals had motorbikes, night vision goggles and stanley knives. He reckons they could put a lot of inflatables out of commission in no time. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but he is a strident voice. 

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm not the one who needs blinkers removing. I've no doubt the French are very cooperative with providing bank details every time they ask the British Government for cash.

You’ll never win the 3:15 at Haydock.

Give me one reason why the French should care who enters the U.K. illegally.

They do care, I’ve seen it. But the more people with your dreadful attitude, the less they will care.

30 minutes ago, Cyclecar said:

The polemics can get very confrontational. Why, I want to know, don't these migrants want to settle in France? It's a larger country, with more space. Indeed some rural settlements are almost depopulated. France is so nice that a lot of English go and live there. So why the lemming like efforts to cross the channel?

I accept that, if our Border Force encounter a dinghy full of people in mid channel, they have little option but to bring them ashore in Dover. We are all humanists.

But we all - you, me, the folks next door - live under a rule of law. Some of the laws we may not like, or consider silly, but laws they are and we have to live by them.

There are laws regarding entry into this country. So why must we suspend them constantly to accomodate these boat people. If we are going to allow them in we may as well change the law.

But a chap on social media was offering his services to the UK. He and his pals had motorbikes, night vision goggles and stanley knives. He reckons they could put a lot of inflatables out of commission in no time. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but he is a strident voice. 

What laws are being broken?

But tell me more about these sea-going motorbikes!

Edited by tinfoilhat