Dell 1745 Laptop HDD failure

System diagnostics confirm it. Its not difficult to fit a new HDD but the operating system is on the faulty one.

So, can I install Windows 7 from the 2 recovery discs I made at the time of purchase ?

Did it have Windows 7 on it when the harddrive failed?

If it did then you should be able to, but make sure you update it fully.

If it had Windows 10 on it then you will have to install that on it as the license will have moved with the upgrade. To create an install disk for Windows 10, download the tool from here;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Yes Windows 7. I didnt use the option of 10 last year as I heard adverse criticism such as print options buried away in menus, etc.

If its going to be fairly straightforward then I'll order a drive.

Edited by carosio

Unless you need loads of space get a solid state drive, the performance difference will be massive, it will be like a new laptop. you can 64 /120 give ones on ebay pretty cheap, you won't regret it!

That's tempting and will have a look.

Does the old drive still work? If so you might be able to clone it if you don't want to use your recovery discs.

But personally I'd get an SSD and re-install Windows 7. Its still a good operating system.

Despite exhaustive attempts by a capable friend it wont even do the startup repair, only bios is available.

Have you tried booting from a Linux Live CD/DVD?

If you cannot then there is probably some hardware fault other than the HDD.

Have you tried booting from a Linux Live CD/DVD?

If you cannot then there is probably some hardware fault other than the HDD.

Im not familiar with this or this method. I ran full onboard systems checks and they repeatedly indicated that a section of the hdd is faulty, whether or not this is a definitive test I wouldn't be sure.

Today I'm checking the HDD connection cables.

Im not familiar with this or this method. I ran full onboard systems checks and they repeatedly indicated that a section of the hdd is faulty, whether or not this is a definitive test I wouldn't be sure.

Today I'm checking the HDD connection cables.

It's 99% going to be the drive, some people seem to like over complicating things!