The Thirty Year Plan

Still like having to go round 3 sides of a square to get from Sheffield to Manchester airport.

To be honest the fact that the third and fourth largest cities in england are joined by a crap railway and glorified farm track is an embaressment.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 15:55 ----------

The M62 is hardly ever closed due to snow - the HA ensure that it remains open as it's well engineered and far easier to keep clear than say the Woodhead or A58. Used to use it regularly in winter.

Closed last night for a bit because of the weather.

Still like having to go round 3 sides of a square to get from Sheffield to Manchester airport.

Oh I agree for sure on that. The M67 was never finished - that spur to Tintwhistle was meant to have made it over a long time ago and that should really be built. Perhaps not a motorway standard but a fast dual carraigeway road for sure.

But the Peak Park are bound to squash anything like that on it's head as they are NIMBY's of the most collossal order.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 16:26 ----------

To be honest the fact that the third and fourth largest cities in england are joined by a crap railway and glorified farm track is an embaressment.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 15:55 ----------

Closed last night for a bit because of the weather.

I mussed have missed that then as I drove over that way.... it might have been rather slow to say the least but they didnt appear to actually close it.

I'm fairly certain the Sheffield is not the fourth largest either - I think you might want to consider Newcastle and Leeds....

Edited by Obelix

Oh I agree for sure on that. The M67 was never finished - that spur to Tintwhistle was meant to have made it over a long time ago and that should really be built. Perhaps not a motorway standard but a fast dual carraigeway road for sure.

But the Peak Park are bound to squash anything like that on it's head as they are NIMBY's of the most collossal order.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 16:26 ----------

I mussed have missed that then as I drove over that way.... it might have been rather slow to say the least but they didnt appear to actually close it.

I'm fairly certain the Sheffield is not the fourth largest either - I think you might want to consider Newcastle and Leeds....

There are hundreds of threads about this. It's not that clear cut by the look of it.

https://www.citymetric.com/skylines/where-are-largest-cities-britain-1404

There are hundreds of threads about this. It's not that clear cut by the look of it.

https://www.citymetric.com/skylines/where-are-largest-cities-britain-1404

It's a great article and puts Sheffield 3rd, 10th, 6th and 7th largest city in the Britain depending on the measurement. The 3rd place can be nulled as London isn't on the list and Bradford comes 4th well ahead of Manchester, Glasgow and other big cities. So I think any argument for 6th to 10th largest would be fine.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

That's why I think a tunnel seems a good idea. And open all weathers.

On the money.

Angel1.

Only recently they spend a couple of million on plans and a feasibility study for a tunnel/motorway didn't they?

Been talk about this route for years, but never any actual action.

Only recently they spend a couple of million on plans and a feasibility study for a tunnel/motorway didn't they?

Been talk about this route for years, but never any actual action.

It's a massive expensive project. In the north, purely for the benefit of northerners.

How far up the government's to-do list do you think that will be?

Crossrail on the other hand, £30billion, they can definitely prioritise that because it's for Londoners.

It's a massive expensive project. In the north, purely for the benefit of northerners.

How far up the government's to-do list do you think that will be?

One place below selecting new toilet paper :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Crossrail on the other hand, £30billion, they can definitely prioritise that because it's for Londoners.

Crossrail two was green lit before Crossrail 1 was even finished.

If it's investment in London they're falling over themselves to throw money at it.

Isn't that why we need this Yorkshire assembly thing?

No, it's not. Mottram Moor is in Derbyshire.

But Baron (John) Prescott had it right- the Northern Powerhouse concept [© George Osborne] is nonsense.