Blood test results, cholestrol, liver function

With the same study parameters?

Garlic contains vitamins C and B6, manganese, selenium and other antioxidants (notably allicin).

More recent evidence-based research suggests garlic may be effective against high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, cholesterol, colds and some cancers.

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/superfoods/Pages/is-garlic-a-superfood.aspx

The Department of Health recommends that everyone over the age of five (including pregnant and breastfeeding women) should consider taking a daily vitamin D supplement, particularly between October and March.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1122.aspx?categoryid=51

A large group of male physicians took either a multivitamin or a placebo pill for more than a decade. The results have been mixed, with modest reductions in cancer and cataracts, but no protective effect against cardiovascular disease or declining mental function.

There is evidence on both sides of the argument.

Garlic contains vitamins C and B6, manganese, selenium and other antioxidants (notably allicin).

More recent evidence-based research suggests garlic may be effective against high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, cholesterol, colds and some cancers.

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/superfoods/Pages/is-garlic-a-superfood.aspx

The Department of Health recommends that everyone over the age of five (including pregnant and breastfeeding women) should consider taking a daily vitamin D supplement, particularly between October and March.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1122.aspx?categoryid=51

A large group of male physicians took either a multivitamin or a placebo pill for more than a decade. The results have been mixed, with modest reductions in cancer and cataracts, but no protective effect against cardiovascular disease or declining mental function.

There is evidence on both sides of the argument.

'The best available evidence gives us good, reliable information to conclude that multivitamins offer no meaningful health benefits to the generally healthy consumer.'

You said you were healthy, the evidence points to you not needing multi vitamins

'The best available evidence gives us good, reliable information to conclude that multivitamins offer no meaningful health benefits to the generally healthy consumer.'

You said you were healthy, the evidence points to you not needing multi vitamins

I did not take vitamins for a few years, I had a test at the doctors and I was low in iron.

I would say that my results are in the top 25%, I am healthier than my sibling, so I will carry on doing what I am doing, more links showing studies that show the benefits would be pointless, you can find those yourself.

I did not take vitamins for a few years, I had a test at the doctors and I was low in iron.

I would say that my results are in the top 25%, I am healthier than my sibling, so I will carry on doing what I am doing, more links showing studies that show the benefits would be pointless, you can find those yourself.

Science says otherwise, but it's your money after all.

True, False or old wife's tale - you tell me. " At a conference in the states for experts in vitamins, members were asked on the way in - " does taking extra vitamins HELP prolong your life" the results were inconclusive, with most saying they were unsure. On the way out they were asked "do you take extra vitamins" the result was 100% YES.

True, False or old wife's tale - you tell me. " At a conference in the states for experts in vitamins, members were asked on the way in - " does taking extra vitamins HELP prolong your life" the results were inconclusive, with most saying they were unsure. On the way out they were asked "do you take extra vitamins" the result was 100% YES.

Does any know that they are lacking in their vitamin + mineral intake = NO

Unless they have a blood test.

Peoples diets vary widely, some countries advocate 10 per day - fruit/vegetables, some only 5 per day; do people keep up to their Governments recommendations = NO

---------- Post added 04-03-2018 at 02:05 ----------

All children aged six months to five years should be given a supplement containing vitamins A, C and D

Pregnant or breastfeeding women, children aged under five years and some adults do benefit from taking certain supplements.

The same review did find that regular high doses of vitamin C (1g per day or more) seem to reduce the duration of colds a little, by 8% in adults and 13% in children. The researchers also found that vitamin C supplements seemed to have a greater effect for people who were undergoing extreme physical stress, such as marathon runners.

Regular zinc supplements (taken for at least five months) appear to protect people gainst catching colds, and children who take zinc are less likely to be absent from school or to be prescribed antibiotics when they are ill.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/05May/documents/btH_supplements.pdf

It's in the news today, for those that want to see how healthy their heart is.

I was disappointed with 1 year below my actual age.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/check-your-heart-age-tool/

Lol. I am 73 the survey says I am 88 ha ha. However, I didn't know my cholesterol levels off the top and that could have affected my results according to the results page. I won't panic as my cholesterol levels have been great for years according to my doctor and I have 2 blood tests a year. I didn't have a copy of my last test around though.

It's in the news today, for those that want to see how healthy their heart is.

I was disappointed with 1 year below my actual age.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/check-your-heart-age-tool/

That heart test is rather dubious. Using my real details my heart health was 1 year younger than my age. Out of interest, I did it again but put my weight as inside the underweight category for my height. This knocked a couple more years off my heart health but gave a warning about being underweight:huh:

El Cid,

Congrats El Cid. Keep up the good work. You must be doing something right.

Good set of genes -possibly, lucky man.

I wish you a long and healthy life. And when it does come to an end,"may you be in heaven before the devil knows you're dead".

I like the topic of health, just got my blood test results back.

Serum cholesterol = 4

Serum HDL = 1.6

Serum triglycerides =0.5

Serum HDL ratio = 2.5

Serum LDL level =2.2

Doctors said all was normal, I am hoping the 4 is good, because google says around 5.7 is average.

I did read something about adding HDL and LDL together; I am sure other might find this topic useful.

Liver test = DAL 355

Bilirubin =10

ATL level = 28

Albumin = 37

Alkaline phosphatase = 45

I am a 55 year old male, taking multivitamins ;)

It annoys me that one gets the results of these tests with no explanation as what each reading means.It's not enough to be told you are OK

The serum ratio is according to my doctor is the ratio of total cholesterol to serum HDL.

ie 4:1.6=2.5

I was told that even if total cholesterol is high as long as the ratio is within limits you are OK.

What those limits are I wasn't told!

I take that many tablets for so many things I'm not sure what they all do. But at my last blood test there was nothing to worry about when I received the results from my quack. Surprising really as I am type 2 diabetic.

Angel1.