Flying to N.Z.hints

We are flying soon to N.Z, to see son doctor working in A and E ( do not

let me get started on politics and whether he will return...) I am 63 and my husband is 65 - we are staying in Singapore for 3 nights and Hong Kong the same on the way back to break the journey. Having never flown long haul before, are there any MUST DO HINTS please?

Not really, apart from being a touch boring it's hardly difficult.

Wear comfortable clothes and get up and move around at regular intervals is the best advice, you'll be sat on your arse for a long time.

If you have any health conditions then it's worth seeing your doctor before you go, things like Deep Vein Thrombosis are more likely when flying long haul.

As geared says, to avoid thrombosis etc. it might be worth investing in a pair of compression tights (they can quite easily be found online). When on the plane keep hydrated - water, not wine.

The layovers are a good idea, it might be worth investigating premium lounge membership just for this flight. Depending on the carrier there are good deals to be had. It means you can be stress-free around your flight and have something to eat/drink as well as have a shower before flying. Try and make the journey into an event - spending a bit more on it is worth it, you won't be doing this every few years!

It you're flying cattle class then book extra leg room seats.

We are flying soon to N.Z, to see son doctor working in A and E ( do not

let me get started on politics and whether he will return...) I am 63 and my husband is 65 - we are staying in Singapore for 3 nights and Hong Kong the same on the way back to break the journey. Having never flown long haul before, are there any MUST DO HINTS please?

I flew to NZ back in 2013, however, I flew London Heathrow to LA (spent a few days there), LA to Rarotonga (again, a stop over of 5 days) before flying the last leg to Auckland.

My main advice, and it appears you are going to do that anyway, is to have a good few days on your stop over. Give yourself time to physically recover, break down the monotony of the flights and more important, get to see something of the world en route.

My only other advice would be to try and stay hydrated on the flight, avoid alcohol and try and consume as much water as you would at sea level. Move around the cabin, exercise if necessary. You will be travelling on a huge plane, likely to be a 777 or a380 or equivalent, so there will be a bit of space to move around. Don't feel you have to remain in your seat other than for toilet breaks.

Last of all, make you sure you enjoy yourself. Happy to make recommendations for NZ, if required.

An inflatable seat cushion (doughnut shape) might help.

thank you so far I have just booked a review appt with my GP Anna had not thought of a bum seat!

Happy to make recommendations for NZ, if required.

I’d be interested to hear any recommendations as I’m hoping to make a trip myself in the not too distant future.

A pair of decent noise cancelling headphones will drown out the noise of the engines and make it much less tiring as well - they dont have to be that pricey either but there is a certain amount of cost to them sadly.

It you're flying cattle class then book extra leg room seats.

I found with proper long haul they do tend to be abit more generous with the leg room, unless you're 6ft or more I wouldn't bother with the extra leg room seats.

In fact if you get the emergency exit seats they're less comfortable than the normal ones.

I’d be interested to hear any recommendations as I’m hoping to make a trip myself in the not too distant future.

Happy to throw some suggestions your way. How long are you going for? What kind of things would interest you?

Happy to throw some suggestions your way. How long are you going for? What kind of things would interest you?

I’m looking at going for around a month and I’m keen to see lots of the scenery and wildlife and also do some adventure sports.