Doctor calling in the house

How many of you old buggers remember when the doctor visited you instead of you going to see him? It was the norm in smaller communities in the 40s and 50s. The doc would see patients at his office in the morning and then go on his rounds to visit people who had been called in by a relative. Hated it as a kid, when you felt like a day off and faked an illness, only for my mother to call my bluff and ask the doctor to call. I can tell you, at times, I was potentially an Oscar nominee, LOL.

How many of you old buggers remember when the doctor visited you instead of you going to see him? It was the norm in smaller communities in the 40s and 50s. The doc would see patients at his office in the morning and then go on his rounds to visit people who had been called in by a relative. Hated it as a kid, when you felt like a day off and faked an illness, only for my mother to call my bluff and ask the doctor to call. I can tell you, at times, I was potentially an Oscar nominee, LOL.

People in 1 or 2 generations will probably reminisce about the good old days when you could just walk 2 miles to see a doctor, 3 weeks after you needed them :hihi:

How about when you could just call in at the doctors surgery and not have to book appointments two weeks before you have a problem!

Now you have all on even trying to see your doctor.

Ho I must be getting old.

Lived on the Manor, our doctor was first Dr Lister then Dr Halle. I remember going down to the surgery when mom was ill, Dr Lister came round promptly. He did say can your mom come downstairs as I can't make it upstairs anymore. Then another time going down to fetch Dr Halle, he was in middle of his tea, he said he would be up as soon as he had finished his tea. Now that was service.

Lived on the Manor, our doctor was first Dr Lister then Dr Halle. I remember going down to the surgery when mom was ill, Dr Lister came round promptly. He did say can your mom come downstairs as I can't make it upstairs anymore. Then another time going down to fetch Dr Halle, he was in middle of his tea, he said he would be up as soon as he had finished his tea. Now that was service.

I'll bet that was known as 'orchestrated silver service' in those days.:)

In the mid '40s I was born at home in Beauchief and delivered by our GP, Dr Naish, whose surgery was on Derbyshire Lane. I wonder how many years it is since GPs undertook home births, except in an emergency?

echo.

Dr. Rushbrook, Crosspool 1950's. She had surgery morning and evening (no appointment needed) and in between would make house calls if you had mumps, tonsillitus, measles etc.

I think many years ago folks weren't so quick to go and see the doctor. I remember when my grandma went to see the GP in around 1985 for what became something which needed a hysterectomy the doctor was amazed that the last time she'd seen a doctor was some 48 years previously when my dad was born! She often had her own remedies for things which kept my grandad going till 89 and her to 94.

The first doctor we had did home calls but couldn't drive, even though he had a car. My Grandad, worked nights at the pit and drove the doctor around for his home visits, in the afternoons. This was until he got another doctor to join his practice and he then learned to drive himself.

At our health centre you have to make an appointment to die!,you always have to wait a week or two to see anyone!.One of my neighbors had a health scare a while back he was on his knees with pain from some kind of seizure,he rang all the proper numbers,this was in the early hours!.By the time the medical help arrived after a long wait luckily it had subsided but it could have gone the other way,not good enough it doesn,t inspire confidence in our health care!.