Chemotherapy after effects

Just wondered if anyone who has gone through chemotherapy has any tips on counteracting the bad feeling of nausea afterwards ,thanks

Hi Fuddy, really sorry to hear you're needing tips about chemo but here goes...when I was under Weston Park they were very helpful at trying to keep my nausea under control so please, if you're suffering - don't be shy! They do have a number of things they can try and help you with. I was given mainly steroids which just about kept it at bay but on the occasions I still felt queasy I would nibble a few dry arrowroot type biscuits. I also got a lot of useful suggestions/advice off the forum on the breast cancer care website, which might also be helpful for you even if it's not breast cancer you're referring to. You are able to just read the posts, you don't have to register or join. Take care and I hope you find things a bit more bearable soon.

Although I've just finished having my 6 rounds of R-chop chemo, it's not really made me have any nausea at all. In the week following each chemo, I was given anti-nausea pills which I took every morning and evening.

I think it depends on each individual and type of chemo they have had as to how anyone feels.

Incidentally, the hair on my head didn't fall out, just stopped growing. my nasal and ear hair (and some other places) however, did fall out!

Has anyone who has just finished a course of Chemo, then been scanned and given the all clear, attended a rehabilitation course.

I am talking a programme of gym work under the guidance of a qualified physio.

I have my last session of 6 on Thursday, then I am told will have a scan at the NGH

If I m given the all clear there could be an offer of a course of rehab ( gym work ) at the Hallamshire.

Anyone attended such a programme, if so, your thoughts please.

I think it just depends on what chemo you have. Mine made me feel crap for a week to 10 days after but then I was a bit better. Do not be afraid to ring Weston Park or whichever place you are having your treatment because they will be very helpful to your needs. Good luck.

Hi Kidorry and thanks for your reply.

My Chemo sessions at the Hallamshire are to treat Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma

I have been given a pamphlet explaining post recovery

My Partner had chemo at Western Park,

He went for some Hypnotherapy at the Cavendish Trust. It worked for him .He didn't get any side effects. It doesn't work for everybody. It depends on how sensitive you are to the therapist's suggestions.

I wish you all the best throughout your treatment. My partner and I found it best not to listen too frequently to other patients talk about their  side effects,

I had 3 rounds of chemo, and have to say I didn't have any nausea at all. Whether this was because of the anti-nausia tablets I was given, I couldn't say, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd heard. I agree with petemcewan about listening to other people, everyone is different so what affects them isn't forced to affect you. I was also warned off reading too much on websites etc. There is plenty of literature available in hospital and on hospital websites which are helpful. 

Most of all put your trust in your team of people, (they'll be marvellous) turn up for all your appointments, do what they advise, and try to stay positive, a strong mental attitude counts for a lot.

I wish you the very best of luck. PM me if there is any way I can help.

20 hours ago, Anna B said:

I had 3 rounds of chemo, and have to say I didn't have any nausea at all. Whether this was because of the anti-nausia tablets I was given, I couldn't say, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd heard. I agree with petemcewan about listening to other people, everyone is different so what affects them isn't forced to affect you. I was also warned off reading too much on websites etc. There is plenty of literature available in hospital and on hospital websites which are helpful. 

Most of all put your trust in your team of people, (they'll be marvellous) turn up for all your appointments, do what they advise, and try to stay positive, a strong mental attitude counts for a lot.

I wish you the very best of luck. PM me if there is any way I can help.

Good evening Anna B

Yes, the Chemo affects all recipients differently. this is due both to the persons state of health prior to the treatment starting and their mental attitude.

The staff at the Hallamshire I must say have been superb, a set of angels no less !!

I was a very fit 73 year old prior to starting the treatment, with a strong mental attitude which I have tried to maintain all along.

Looking forward to receiving what I hope are positive results after a scan at the NGH

Then onto a rehab course in the gym at the Hallamshire

Really missed not going to the gym and getting out on my bike.

10 hours ago, Runningman said:

Good evening Anna B

Yes, the Chemo affects all recipients differently. this is due both to the persons state of health prior to the treatment starting and their mental attitude.

The staff at the Hallamshire I must say have been superb, a set of angels no less !!

I was a very fit 73 year old prior to starting the treatment, with a strong mental attitude which I have tried to maintain all along.

Looking forward to receiving what I hope are positive results after a scan at the NGH

Then onto a rehab course in the gym at the Hallamshire

Really missed not going to the gym and getting out on my bike.

I agree with that entirely. I was 80 when I started my treatment and very fit for my age with a positive mind and complete trust in my doctors and treatment. 2 years on and I am still positive.

9 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I agree with that entirely. I was 80 when I started my treatment and very fit for my age with a positive mind and complete trust in my doctors and treatment. 2 years on and I am still positive.

Well done Kidorry, best of luck to you, hope you live a long and happy life !!

14 hours ago, Runningman said:

Well done Kidorry, best of luck to you, hope you live a long and happy life !!

Thank you very much for that and the same to you..