Council House - Asbestos Survey

An important letter came though the door today, the council want to do a survey to find out If my property in Lttledale has ASBESTOS. - Fair enough one would think, but I'm still waiting for the results of the same survey taken 3 years ago. Are we going to have one of these every three years, or has the council got money to burn.

have been waiting months for council to put me a flu liner down chimney,they came found asbestos in fireplace,asbestos team been out 3 different times been cancelled because council not been and done certain jobs to enable them to do there's,been told now by council they are going to remove asbestos what they can see brick my fireplace up and leave me without a gas fire,complete waste of time and money..asbestos team in place why don't they remove all asbestos while there here,bricking it up will not make it go away,

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 19:31 ----------

ps this all started with a simple gas service back to july last year have been without a gas fire since then

LOL, sorry, got to laugh. multistory blocks need help and adivce regards Fire risk and they want to check ASBESTOS twice in three years in semi's. Iv'e been in this hoUse gettng on for 35 years , only had the one asbestos cheacK until now,If they have the PROS in it's got to cost £200 a house.

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 19:56 ----------

My point is, what happened to the previus survey? did they lose it?

yep you got to laugh its not worth crying about it, like you i had a letter a few years back no one came! after finding asbestos in my property they have found it in a few more houses in my area.(deepcar)

They could be check8ngthe condition of anyone asbestos found

An important letter came though the door today, the council want to do a survey to find out If my property in Lttledale has ASBESTOS. - Fair enough one would think, but I'm still waiting for the results of the same survey taken 3 years ago. Are we going to have one of these every three years, or has the council got money to burn.

You won't get a copy of the survey. it's not for tenants information. it's for contractors and work men who visit to complete any works.

surveys and risk assessments for asbestos have to be completed on a regular basis, laws on this have also changed in recent years.

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 00:51 ----------

have been waiting months for council to put me a flu liner down chimney,they came found asbestos in fireplace,asbestos team been out 3 different times been cancelled because council not been and done certain jobs to enable them to do there's,been told now by council they are going to remove asbestos what they can see brick my fireplace up and leave me without a gas fire,complete waste of time and money..asbestos team in place why don't they remove all asbestos while there here,bricking it up will not make it go away,

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 19:31 ----------

ps this all started with a simple gas service back to july last year have been without a gas fire since then

because removing the asbestos will cost thousands. bricking up the fire place makes the risk virtually disappear for a fraction of the price.

I suffer from a lung complaint already, If they found Asbstos the first time surly they would have told the occupier of the house/flat so that they could make an informed decision as to stay in the property or not?

Asbestos is perfectly harmless if left undisturbed but needs to be periodically inspected for deterioration. It is the landlords duty to manage asbestos and inform anyone who may come in contact with it, usually tradesmen; and if necessary make arrangements for removal or encapsulation.

Don't worry about it, be glad the council are taking their responsibilities seriously but if you do need to carry out any works or drill any holes I'm sure that they would be more than happy to share their information willingly.

Edited by NorthernStar

my neighbour had a full flue ect costing 2 grand,then they decided to brick it up and told him to use the central heating as they don't supply new fires,madness on a chilly spring /autumn morn put central heating on,when all that's needed is a gas fire,but scc love surveys and then do what they want or nothing as they cant afford it.