LittleDale shop still charging £1.00 for cards

So people who keep control of their spending, and don't get into debt will now have to pay for the feckless who can't keep their spending under control and do get into debt.

How is a law against charging for card fee's anything to do with personal debt? :huh:

I went to pay my water bill with my card and was told there was a charge even though it says on the water bill there is no charge if you pay with Pay Point.

The commission on a Paypoint transaction is 13p, the retailer gets charged for the money when it is debited to Paypoint as well through their business bank so it ends up being a loss for the retailer as the retailer has to pay a weekly fee of £15 plus vat for the terminal too. You paying by card means the retailer is actually making a loss..

How is a law against charging for card fee's anything to do with personal debt? :huh:

If you aren't going into debt you can use a debit card which I have never been charged for. Now I will be because the company will up the price to cover the money lost on the credit card charges.

Just come back from the shop where the owner wanted to charge me £1,00 for using my Debt card (it was the usual practise) when I told her it was NOW against the law to charge her reply was " I know nothing about it, you can pay by cash"

I did pay by cash, but just for you my darling -

Credit cards: is this the end of the great rip-off?

Customers can no longer be charged extra for paying by credit or debit card, At midnight on Friday, a rip-off that has cost Britons hundreds of millions of pounds a year was finally outlawed. All extra charges for using a credit or debit card to pay for goods and services have now been banned, which means no more nasty surprises at the checkout, says the government.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/13/credit-card-surcharge-debit-ban

Not really the end. It just means places like Sheff Arena will put the ridiculous 10% charge for paying by card into the price of the ticket.

To pay £30 for 6 x £50 tickets is beyond comprehension but what can do you do about it? All they will do is make the front end cost higher

edit - Quick check shows that the FlyDSA arena now charge 12% booking fee. 12%!.

Edited by sheffbag

If you aren't going into debt you can use a debit card which I have never been charged for. Now I will be because the company will up the price to cover the money lost on the credit card charges.

Retailers pay a fee every time you use a debit card. It is also possible to use a credit card without being feckless or getting into debt. Likewise ii is also possible to use a debit card whilst being feckless and getting into debt in the process.

Retailers pay a fee every time you use a debit card. It is also possible to use a credit card without being feckless or getting into debt. Likewise ii is also possible to use a debit card whilst being feckless and getting into debt in the process.

A debit card is money you already have.

Not necessarily - may be into your overdraft.

As already stated, not if you're using an overdraft. You could also be accessing loaned funds or cash transferred from a credit card. Not to mention that your post completely missed the point the the retailers have always faced charges for processing YOUR debit card use. Why shouldn't they recoup the loss that YOU are incurring them?

Not really the end. It just means places like Sheff Arena will put the ridiculous 10% charge for paying by card into the price of the ticket.

To pay £30 for 6 x £50 tickets is beyond comprehension but what can do you do about it? All they will do is make the front end cost higher

edit - Quick check shows that the FlyDSA arena now charge 12% booking fee. 12%!.

The 10% charge is nothing to do with paying by card but a booking fee to cover their actual service e.g. website and also ticket prices are set by the promoter and not the venue. I still agree that it is quite a hefty cost.

As already stated, not if you're using an overdraft. You could also be accessing loaned funds or cash transferred from a credit card. Not to mention that your post completely missed the point the the retailers have always faced charges for processing YOUR debit card use. Why shouldn't they recoup the loss that YOU are incurring them?

Don't businesses have to pay if they go to the bank with cash to pay into their account? Not sure how using a debit card is different to that...a card is more convenient I would have thought..

Don't businesses have to pay if they go to the bank with cash to pay into their account? Not sure how using a debit card is different to that...a card is more convenient I would have thought..

Corner shops and takeaways can recycle cash a lot easier - cash and carries for example. Some Pubs, as I understand it, were putting in cash machines and putting money in there so punters would draw it out and hand it back. But it was certainly (I'm going back a few years) cheaper to bank cash than it was take credit cards. Unless you take a lot the fees are surprisingly large.

Convenience is an issue though with more banks closing branches.

Corner shops and takeaways can recycle cash a lot easier - cash and carries for example. Some Pubs, as I understand it, were putting in cash machines and putting money in there so punters would draw it out and hand it back. But it was certainly (I'm going back a few years) cheaper to bank cash than it was take credit cards. Unless you take a lot the fees are surprisingly large.

Convenience is an issue though with more banks closing branches.

I suppose "creative accounting" is a bit more difficult with cards as well :)