Sunday Lunch/Meal Recommendations

13 hours ago, Bilge said:

I have a good memory of the carvery at the Millstone, Hathersage. It was all the opposite of what you say above DerbyTup. Even the beer was spot on. But it was probably 10 years ago so it may not be the same.

Yes I remember that.  And it was about 10 years ago, maybe longer?  They went through a spell of turning out really good food (and had good beer).  I don't hear any such positive reports about it now.  A chap I know lives in the Hope Valley.  He reckons The Scotsman's Pack is the best pub food in the valley.  I've eaten there a few times - it is good, fairly basic, pub food, but enjoyable and not expensive.  I don't know what the Sunday lunch is like.  Or even if they do one.  The Old Hall at Hope has a carvery, or did, which was reasonable.

The Plough at Hathersage seems to win all the awards in that valley for its food.  I've been there a few times as well, again, not for Sunday lunch though.  They do have a more "restaurant" standard of food there.  It's obviously well-thought of by the critics because it frequently does well with awards, but it's just not a place we like particularly.   It's hard to say why.  Last time we went was with 2 friends and that's about a year ago.  They suggested it as a place to go.  At the time I remember thinking...yeah, it's o.k. but we've never been inspired to go back for some reason.  It's probably something about the ambience - which I'd describe as "Twee" - with its tartan carpets and little tables.  The range of drinks isn't very inspiring.  I mean, if you're going to pretend you're a restaurant, have some good wines on offer maybe?  But the worst thing is the service.  After 9.30pm the staff all give up on the customers.  You have to go and fetch them if you want service, or to pay the bill.  It's pretty poor.  Our recent visit to there was just that - and it reminded us why we don't bother.

The new kid on the block in the valley is the Bank House in Hathersage.  I made a separate post on that.  It's beautiful inside and has a great range of drinks.  We've since ate there and it was a bit of a mixed experience tbh.  Some dishes were really good, others not.  Nothing was bad btw - but there's room for improvement.  It's a menu consisting of Tapas and a few larger plates.  I think if I want to eat Tapas I'd probably go down to the Bridge at Calver - they do it well - and better than the Bank House.

14 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Been on the Sunday lunch trail again last week.  This time we tried the Fox House.  No.  Not the Fox House on the way to Hathersage.  The Fox House on the way to Holmfirth.

This one.  

https://thefoxhouseinn.co.uk/index.html 

When we lived on the north side of Sheffield some years ago, this place used to have a decent reputation for food.  I was curious to see what kind of Sunday lunches it was turning out since the recent refurb last year.  

I'll come straight to the point - I think the majority of Sheffield folks will really like this and think it's fantastic value for money.   For £8.95 you get generous portions of meat. 

So did we like it?

Not really.  We wouldn't rush back. 

We went in quite late, around 4pm.  We thought it may be fairly quiet at that time, but the place was heaving.  There were lots of families with young kids and it was quite noisy.  

The servery is quite small and there was a line of people queuing up for food and only 1 person serving.  You can't help yourself to the veg, so this makes things even slower.  There were just 2 choices of meat, beef or pork.  There was only 1 green vegetable available - cabbage - which was stewing in hot water.  The lady picked it up with tongs and bashed it about to get the water off before dumping it on the plate.  There were carrots, thinly sliced, as if by laser, and they were very, very hard.  (I like al dente - but these were not that).  There was mashed swede, which looked really wet and sloppy.  The other veg were roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, cauliflower cheese.  

The Yorkshire puddings, at least, were home-made and huge in size.  I was really looking forward to those.  However, they were stacked up on top of each other in the servery, dozens of them, and God knows how long they'd been there, but it was like chewing cardboard.  

The meat was o.k. generally.  I thought the pork was better than the beef.  

Nevertheless...if you live out that way - and it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere...and you've got a big family to feed and keeping the cost down is important then you can spend an entire afternoon here, waiting to be served, filling holes and stoking up the boiler.  

We're off on the Sunday lunch trail again today.  This time the destination is somewhere in Lincolnshire and the place we are visiting is supposedly one of the best places in the entire country for Sunday lunch.  I will report back.

The destination was the Hope & Anchor at Barton on Humber.  A mere 60 miles from Sheffield.  We were in that area for another reason and this was one of the best rated pubs for Sunday lunch in that area, and indeed in the entire country.

The Michelin sticker is on the mullioned windows as you enter.  

In brief, starters excellent, main course...a bit disappointing.  It's not a carvery btw.  The choice is beef, chicken or pork, if you want a roast on a Sunday.  They have a cabinet of their dry-aged beef on display.  It looks fantastic!  Beef, when aged, is black not red.  This was the real deal.  I had the sirloin of beef with Yorkshire pudding for my main.  The beef was very tasty and the Yorkshire pudding was superb, proper home made giant pudding.  It came with a carrot (a big one - which was roasted - very nice) and red cabbage.  The red cabbage was cold.  It also came with a little pot of roast potatoes.  They were nice and hot and crispy.

We ordered sides of cabbage and cauliflower cheese.  These came cold as well.  My wife chose pork.  The meat wasn't leg or loin, but "shoulder".  A cheap cut - it can be tasty but this wasn't - and it was also cold.

We ended up sending her meal back.  They made it good - i.e. they made it hot.  But it's disappointing that a place that is supposed to be amongst the country's finest can't put hot food on a plate!  

Would we go back?  Personally I would, but not for Sunday lunch.  I'd like to sample some of that amazing dry-aged beef rib sometime.  But I might have a problem persuading my wife to go with me!

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

The destination was the Hope & Anchor at Barton on Humber.  A mere 60 miles from Sheffield.  We were in that area for another reason and this was one of the best rated pubs for Sunday lunch in that area, and indeed in the entire country.

The Michelin sticker is on the mullioned windows as you enter.  

In brief, starters excellent, main course...a bit disappointing.  It's not a carvery btw.  The choice is beef, chicken or pork, if you want a roast on a Sunday.  They have a cabinet of their dry-aged beef on display.  It looks fantastic!  Beef, when aged, is black not red.  This was the real deal.  I had the sirloin of beef with Yorkshire pudding for my main.  The beef was very tasty and the Yorkshire pudding was superb, proper home made giant pudding.  It came with a carrot (a big one - which was roasted - very nice) and red cabbage.  The red cabbage was cold.  It also came with a little pot of roast potatoes.  They were nice and hot and crispy.

We ordered sides of cabbage and cauliflower cheese.  These came cold as well.  My wife chose pork.  The meat wasn't leg or loin, but "shoulder".  A cheap cut - it can be tasty but this wasn't - and it was also cold.

We ended up sending her meal back.  They made it good - i.e. they made it hot.  But it's disappointing that a place that is supposed to be amongst the country's finest can't put hot food on a plate!  

Would we go back?  Personally I would, but not for Sunday lunch.  I'd like to sample some of that amazing dry-aged beef rib sometime.  But I might have a problem persuading my wife to go with me!

Thanks for the update.

next time someone in Sheffield happens to be in Barton in Humber and passes by the hope and anchor  im sure they’ll be delighted to know your views on their steak.

8 hours ago, makapaka said:

Thanks for the update.

next time someone in Sheffield happens to be in Barton in Humber and passes by the hope and anchor  im sure they’ll be delighted to know your views on their steak.

Some of us travel all over the place to try recommended places for food, because it's a hobby, a passion.  Some of us eat just to fill a hole.  Some of us sit at home on messageboards all day, looking for someone to argue with.  Some of us ignore such idiots and let them get on with their pitiful lives. 

Guest makapaka
28 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

Some of us travel all over the place to try recommended places for food, because it's a hobby, a passion.  Some of us eat just to fill a hole.  Some of us sit at home on messageboards all day, looking for someone to argue with.  Some of us ignore such idiots and let them get on with their pitiful lives. 

Sorry?

I thought you only ate Sunday dinner at home because the steaks weren’t hung long enough anywhere else?

Edited by makapaka

Can anyone recommend anywhere for Sunday lunch, preferably city centre or close in.

I like the Forum and the Old House; both a little different.

The Beer Engine does a great Sunday dinner

It does. Popular too as are the tapas in the week. 

4 hours ago, jemson said:

I like the Forum and the Old House; both a little different.

Ended up going to the Old House, I was  a bit rushed in the end so didn't have time to look for many alternatives, had a chicken and chorizo pie which was very nice.

Good stuff. I`d also recommend The Forum for a brunch or breakfast.