Sunday Lunch/Meal Recommendations

Just head up to The Sportsman at the top of Redmires Road at S10  4LJ

probably the finest Sunday roast in a 50 mile radius. Probably need to book but they normally find a way to squeeze you in.

for future reference, Waggon and Horses , Millhouses is good.

Guest makapaka
On 11/24/2018 at 2:48 PM, Pkingy said:

please recommend place to go for sunday lunch tried dore grill but they are booked up till new year

Sunday dinner.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, russ74 said:

probably the finest Sunday roast in a 50 mile radius. Probably need to book but they normally find a way to squeeze you in.

And do you often travel within a 50 mile radius to try and find the best Sunday lunches?  If so I am going to take your recommendation very seriously.  I do.  Last few Sundays have seen us eat out in the following places:  

The Bear. Alderwasley, Derbyshire.  

The Rancliffe Arms. Bunny, Nottinghamshire. 

Shibden Mill Inn.  Halifax. West Yorkshire. 

The Duncombe Arms.  Ellaston near Ashbourne. Derbyshire.

The Worley Arms.  Wortley, near Sheffield. 

Just got back from Wortley today.  Very good food and great service.  Thanks for the recommendation to Lil-Minx. 

If you do the same and regularly travel for miles around to find quality food then I’ll be pleased to try out the Sportsman as you suggest? 

Few folk do.  They are usually basing their recommendations off very little.

Edited by DerbyTup

On 11/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, russ74 said:

Out of interest how much is the Sunday roast at The Sportsman and what is the choice? 

On 12/11/2018 at 5:56 PM, Sheffield87 said:

Out of interest how much is the Sunday roast at The Sportsman and what is the choice? 

I can answer you that because we went yesterday, thanks to the recommendations of a couple of people on here.  

It's £8.95 and there is a choice of Beef, Turkey or Pork.  

The pub is not very big inside and it was heaving packed full of people, mainly dining.  Lots of families with young children, people out walking, etc.  A nice mixed crowd, but it was very busy and noisy at times.  

The meat is very well done.  I don't mean that negatively, but I'm just saying, if you like your beef medium or medium rare you won't get that here.  This is more like the dinners your Mam or Gran may have made.  Veg are well done too.  But I must say, we really enjoyed it, it was tasty and very good value for money.  I particularly liked the fact you can have whatever selection of meats you want - and they are generous with it.  I like the meat to be the main part of my Sunday lunch, so a couple of thin little slices (which is what you get in some places) doesn't do it for me.  But here they will give you as much as you like, more or less.  The Yorkshire puddings are a bit disappointing - they are the packet type, "Aunt Bessies" style, rather than home made - but that didn't spoil it for us.

Is it the best carvery in a 50 mile radius?  Honestly, no, not in my experience.  It doesn't come anywhere near the quality of the food on offer at Rancliffe Arms, Bunny, in Notts, or The Bear at Alderwasley in Derbyshire.  But - it is still very nice and we will definitely be going back there again.  So thanks to those who recommended it.  It's probably the best one around Sheffield that we've tried so far.

6 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I can answer you that because we went yesterday, thanks to the recommendations of a couple of people on here.  

It's £8.95 and there is a choice of Beef, Turkey or Pork.  

The pub is not very big inside and it was heaving packed full of people, mainly dining.  Lots of families with young children, people out walking, etc.  A nice mixed crowd, but it was very busy and noisy at times.  

The meat is very well done.  I don't mean that negatively, but I'm just saying, if you like your beef medium or medium rare you won't get that here.  This is more like the dinners your Mam or Gran may have made.  Veg are well done too.  But I must say, we really enjoyed it, it was tasty and very good value for money.  I particularly liked the fact you can have whatever selection of meats you want - and they are generous with it.  I like the meat to be the main part of my Sunday lunch, so a couple of thin little slices (which is what you get in some places) doesn't do it for me.  But here they will give you as much as you like, more or less.  The Yorkshire puddings are a bit disappointing - they are the packet type, "Aunt Bessies" style, rather than home made - but that didn't spoil it for us.

Is it the best carvery in a 50 mile radius?  Honestly, no, not in my experience.  It doesn't come anywhere near the quality of the food on offer at Rancliffe Arms, Bunny, in Notts, or The Bear at Alderwasley in Derbyshire.  But - it is still very nice and we will definitely be going back there again.  So thanks to those who recommended it.  It's probably the best one around Sheffield that we've tried so far.

Thanks very much for the info. 

4 minutes ago, MrsP2017 said:

can't beat The Old Horns at Bradfield for me x

I've been there too, not so long ago.  I thought it was decent tbh.  But the Sportsman had more choice and quantity and the quality is equally as good.  Try both then tell us what you think.

Been on the Sunday lunch trail again last week.  This time we tried the Fox House.  No.  Not the Fox House on the way to Hathersage.  The Fox House on the way to Holmfirth.

This one.  

https://thefoxhouseinn.co.uk/index.html 

When we lived on the north side of Sheffield some years ago, this place used to have a decent reputation for food.  I was curious to see what kind of Sunday lunches it was turning out since the recent refurb last year.  

I'll come straight to the point - I think the majority of Sheffield folks will really like this and think it's fantastic value for money.   For £8.95 you get generous portions of meat. 

So did we like it?

Not really.  We wouldn't rush back. 

We went in quite late, around 4pm.  We thought it may be fairly quiet at that time, but the place was heaving.  There were lots of families with young kids and it was quite noisy.  

The servery is quite small and there was a line of people queuing up for food and only 1 person serving.  You can't help yourself to the veg, so this makes things even slower.  There were just 2 choices of meat, beef or pork.  There was only 1 green vegetable available - cabbage - which was stewing in hot water.  The lady picked it up with tongs and bashed it about to get the water off before dumping it on the plate.  There were carrots, thinly sliced, as if by laser, and they were very, very hard.  (I like al dente - but these were not that).  There was mashed swede, which looked really wet and sloppy.  The other veg were roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, cauliflower cheese.  

The Yorkshire puddings, at least, were home-made and huge in size.  I was really looking forward to those.  However, they were stacked up on top of each other in the servery, dozens of them, and God knows how long they'd been there, but it was like chewing cardboard.  

The meat was o.k. generally.  I thought the pork was better than the beef.  

Nevertheless...if you live out that way - and it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere...and you've got a big family to feed and keeping the cost down is important then you can spend an entire afternoon here, waiting to be served, filling holes and stoking up the boiler.  

We're off on the Sunday lunch trail again today.  This time the destination is somewhere in Lincolnshire and the place we are visiting is supposedly one of the best places in the entire country for Sunday lunch.  I will report back.

Edited by DerbyTup

I have a good memory of the carvery at the Millstone, Hathersage. It was all the opposite of what you say above DerbyTup. Even the beer was spot on. But it was probably 10 years ago so it may not be the same.