Frank Froggatt of Sheffield Wednesday

I know it's a long time ago, but, does anyone remember or have second hand reminiscences of Frank, (father of Redfern Froggatt). He played in the 1920's and captained the promotion winning side in 25/26.

I am asking because as part of my research into Walkley Cemetery I have found his grave and I am laways looking for stories to tell on our regular tours.

Hugh in Walkley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Game: 22nd October 1921

Final Game: 7th September 1927

Career Span: 5 years 321 days

Career Performance: Played 95 Won 44 Drawn 22 Lost 29

Success Rate: 58.00%

Wednesday Playing Record

LEAGUE FA CUP TOTAL

Season Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals

1921-1922 4 0 0 0 4 0

1922-1923 7 0 0 0 7 0

1923-1924 12 0 3 0 15 0

1924-1925 19 0 1 0 20 0

1925-1926 42 0 1 0 43 0

1926-1927 4 1 0 0 4 1

1927-1928 2 0 0 0 2 0

Total 90 1 5 0 95 1

Keith Farnsworth's "A Complete Record 1867 to 1987" - "Started his career with Rose Athletic but Wednesday signed him from Denaby United. In 1925-26 he became the first Sheffield-born player to captain the Owls since Tommy Crawshaw and led the Owls to the Second Division Championship, something Redfern repeated in 1959. Frank did not live to see Redfern play, dying when his son was 18. From Wednesday, Frank later played for Chesterfield.

Thanks viking and CHAIRBOY for the information

Hugh

I know it's a long time ago, but, does anyone remember or have second hand reminiscences of Frank, (father of Redfern Froggatt). He played in the 1920's and captained the promotion winning side in 25/26.

I am asking because as part of my research into Walkley Cemetery I have found his grave and I am laways looking for stories to tell on our regular tours.

Hugh in Walkley

Sounds silly i know, but he wouldn't have anything to do with "Foggatt Bridge" would he ? only i have a lovely oil painting from Sheffield of the bridge.

The definitive version could best come from Redfern's daughter, Sue, who is involved with Hallam FC. Sue M where are you?

About 1976 I recall going out with Redferns niece when she was a Police Cadet - I believe she was called Liz Froggatt and thereafter she married an RAF guy. She told me she was related to Redfern.

I believe there was another Frank Froggat, cousin of Redfern, played for Portsmouth if I remember right.

I remember a jack Froggatt who played for Leicester City mid fifties, and I often wondered back then if he was related to Redfern. Have just googled Jack Froggatt and found he was Reds cousin, and that he played centre half at Portsmouth before Leicester with Jimmy Scoular and Jimmy Dickenson, anyone who remembers these players will I'm sure agree with me, this was a formidable half back line. Fond memories.

Edited by Sweatshopboy

Yes you are dead right S'boy. Frank Froggatt rang a bell because I used to play with him (no relation to Redfern) for Carterknowle Youth Club in the early '50s along with Ken Smith, Peter Lister, William Burrell, Keith Peel, John Latham, Alec Shaw et al.

That was some half back line that Pompey had. I believe Jimmy Scoular and Jimmy Dickenson were both intenationals, JS a Scot, JD England but I don''t think JF got a cap -Neil Franklin was around at that time and he was an automatic choice at No. 5.