Wd3200aakx harddrive formatting

i want to format a harddrive,its a wd caviar blue,320gb,what conectionc do i need to do this out of the desktop,its a wd3200aakx, i have a sata conection for laptop hdd this fits but wont work,so what cables do i need ,

i want to format a harddrive,its a wd caviar blue,320gb,what conectionc do i need to do this out of the desktop,its a wd3200aakx, i have a sata conection for laptop hdd this fits but wont work,so what cables do i need ,

I take it you are also using a power connector paired with the SATA connector as well?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/131231/how-to-install-a-new-hard-drive-in-your-desktop-pc.html

Sorry just re read about doing it out of the PC. If you want I have a docking station you could borrow or alternatively format it for you so PM me if needed.

Edited by apelike

It would have been helpful to have the full requirements as to why a desktop hard drive is required to be formatted externally. Why do you need to do this? It would have been simpler to get a Caddy as others have suggested. Where is the desktop hard drive from?

the hdd is out of daughters desktop,the games grandaughter got for christmas wont play as they need 64 bit to run,,the os is 32 bit,cheched the prossesor is,its a 64 bit,on w8.1.i have a os disc which is the 64 bit one,but was told to format it first,then load fresh os,soz about this but not tech savy ,have tryed to load the 64 bit disk wont load because its going on a 32 bit os,found out that i need 12v power to the hdd,

Edited by gizmo12345

the hdd is out of daughters desktop,the games grandaughter got for christmas wont play as they need 64 bit to run,,the os is 32 bit,cheched the prossesor is,its a 64 bit,on w8.1.i have a os disc which is the 64 bit one,but was told to format it first,then load fresh os,soz about this but not tech savy ,have tryed to load the 64 bit disk wont load because its going on a 32 bit os,found out that i need 12v power to the hdd,

Just boot the windows disk, it gives an option to format during install...