Dilemma over job/re-training

Asking on behalf of my daughter what people's opinions are on her job situation. She's in mid 20's and works in NHS in a semi-professional role - not great pay but not bad either. She wanted to go to uni at 18 but decided not to for various reasons - one of which was she wanted to do Art and Design but didn't think job prospects justified 3 years work. However - now she regrets that decision and is thinking of re-training and getting a degree - possibly in a different subject. She is not particularly happy in her job and isn't sure what to do. She lives with her boyfriend who has a relatively good job. Does she jack in her job and try for degree even though it will now cost her so much more or stay where she has got job stability but is not very happy? If she doesn't do it now, will she regret it? (She has got a chip on her shoulder as both her siblings have got degrees but have never 'looked down' on her for not having one. I just don't know what to advise her! Any suggestions welcome!

Open university maybe? She'll need to be dedicated though.

Can the NHS offer further training? I know they used to but I'm going back quite a lot of years. One point, do her siblings have jobs connected to the degrees they've got?

I always regretted not doing an Art degree when I was young, but that was a long time ago. Things are changing rapidly in the art world and I think there are probably more creative jobs now than ever. But it is going to be expensive.

If you do it, there will probably be time to do a part time job in the evenings so maybe you could keep in touch with your current job by doing something in the NHS, (related to your current job?)

Life's for living, honey.

Ask her she would feel if in twenty years she was still in the same job. If the answer is 'bloody miserable' then she should get herself to Uni. Plenty of creative jobs around... pay might be a bit **** though until she has a fair few years experience.

Hi Lindylou, she might be eligible for one of the new pathways into becoming a registered nurse, would that interest her? If so, send me a PM and I’ll give you a number to ring so she can get the ball rolling.

Apart from that - education is never wasted on those with the right motivation!

Open University is excellent for those in a position where they can't afford to go into full time further education, it will take longer and needs dedication to see it through and it can be hard juggling work and studying but it is worth it in the end IF she is going to use the Degree..

OR she quits the job and goes full time to Uni doing what she wants, she's only young and can start over again once she's got her degree..

She's only got one shot at living, she may aswell make the most of it..

Is a degree the only route in to whatever it is that she really does want to do?

Doing a degree can cost you hundreds of pounds a month for most of the rest of your working life, it's worth a look round at all the options.

If you do job searches on various websites you will find that there's not many posts out there so competition would be high.

Many people do degree's later in life more to prove a point to themselves rather than to improve employment prospects.

If she's just doing it solely for employability, then I'd say it's a waste of money given how few jobs there are available in the creative industries.

You don't need a degree to go self employed and turn a hobby into a business. If your daughter has always drawn, painted, done computer based graphic design as a hobby, then there's nothing stopping her setting up part time in addition to her substantive job.

She just needs to get out there to some print/design houses with her portfolio to see if these places need any additional help on a casual basis business to business.

Creative industries are booming. Maybe not in Sheffield (I genuinely don't know) but elsewhere ie London they are.

Creative industries are booming. Maybe not in Sheffield (I genuinely don't know) but elsewhere ie London they are.

My g/daughter is a bit arty and about 5/6years ago at the age of 12/13 designed logos for people selling cosmetics and the like on e bay. She did quite well at it considering she was still at school and doing it in her spare time.

Worth a try at something similar as starters.

Thanks for all replies - think I'm gonna advise her to go for it -she just needs to decide whether to go for Open Uni option and keep working or to leave her job and be a 'proper' full-time student. As someone once said - you regret the things you don't do rather than the things you do!

---------- Post added 10-01-2018 at 18:36 ----------

Hi Lindylou, she might be eligible for one of the new pathways into becoming a registered nurse, would that interest her? If so, send me a PM and I’ll give you a number to ring so she can get the ball rolling.

Apart from that - education is never wasted on those with the right motivation!

Thanks for the info but unfortunately she definitely doesn't want to go down the nursing route - in fact she wants to leave NHS!

---------- Post added 10-01-2018 at 18:38 ----------

Open university maybe? She'll need to be dedicated though.

Can the NHS offer further training? I know they used to but I'm going back quite a lot of years. One point, do her siblings have jobs connected to the degrees they've got?

Her older brother got his job because of his placement year in industry. Older sister - her degree was definitely useful but not mandatory for her present job.

If your daughter has always drawn, painted, done computer based graphic design as a hobby, then there's nothing stopping her setting up part time in addition to her substantive job.

She just needs to get out there to some print/design houses with her portfolio to see if these places need any additional help on a casual basis business to business.

If not then she would need to build a portfolio. It is possible to get a graphic Design job without a formal education, if I remember right this guy did: https://www.youtube.com/user/ceklewis But he did have a portfolio and if I remember right this was in London.

However, I would guess that it is more difficult as you would need to teach yourself.

Design agencies often hire freelancers but as a freelancer you might be expected to be experienced/work on your own. So there may not be much in the way of junior freelancing work.

I'm currently doing a Graphic Design Top-Up Degree, I have a HND in Graphic Design. I can get student loan to cover tuition fees and living costs. But living costs aren't any extra than what a normal student would get (I don't get anything extra for child costs for example). I get £8000 ish because I'm no longer living with my parents. https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students

It is also cheaper, about £6000 a year, tuition fees because I'm studying through The Sheffield College. The course is accredited by Sheffield Hallam but the college run it. Through Sheffield Hallam itself it would be over £9000 a year.

The Open University is another option, cheaper and she could do it around work.

It has been hard for me, I have two small children 3 and 5. I just can't commit the same amount of time I did when I was doing the HND in my teens. If she is going to do it and wants children (assuming she does not have them as you have not mentioned it) then doing it now before she has them will make things easier.