What is equality to you?

Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Just now, SnailyBoy said:

I've no idea what you're talking about.

In short. The 'privledged' outnumbering the 'disadvantaged' isn't an injustice, it's an inevitability.

3 minutes ago, danot said:

In short. The 'privledged' outnumbering the 'disadvantaged' isn't an injustice, it's an inevitability.

Now I'm even more confused.

What argument are you responding to with that?

1 minute ago, SnailyBoy said:

Now I'm even more confused.

What argument are you responding to with that?

The £10 vs two fivers analogy you used to illustrate how positive action isn't discriminatory.  

4 minutes ago, danot said:

The £10 vs two fivers analogy you used to illustrate how positive action isn't discriminatory.  

Really?

So from this below

7 hours ago, SnailyBoy said:

The majority group has been given £10

The minority group has been given £5

The minority group is given an additional £5 to make things equal with the majority group.

How is that an advantage for the minority group and discrimination against the majority group?

You came to this?

21 minutes ago, danot said:

What's that got to do with the question I asked?

50 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Really?

So from this below

You came to this?

What's that got to do with the question I asked?

Because in your analogy, you bring the minority group on level with the majority group.  You make both groups equal it seems. But the only way you could achieve this using positive action is by treating the majority group less favourably. Discrimination. Like I said, it just doesnt work as an example if you're trying to illustrate how positive action isn't discriminatory.  You need an example based on a one-to-one situation such as a job interview where the probability of either person losing out is 50/50.

Or here's one.

group A has £10 each on average. (ranging from £5 to £50)

group B has £9 each on average. (ranging from £4 to £49)

Everyone in group B is given £1. So now some of them have £5 and some have £50.

So those in group B who already had £49 get a quid, even though those in group A with £5 get nothing.

Completely fair and sensible, or codswallp based on lumping groups together????

3 minutes ago, danot said:

Because in your analogy, you bring the minority group on level with the majority group.  You make both groups equal it seems. But the only way you could achieve this using positive action is by treating the majority group less favourably.

In what way is the majority group treated less favourably?

Here it is again, just so we're both on the same page

The majority group has been given £10

The minority group has been given £5

The minority group is given an additional £5 to make things equal with the majority group.

How is that an advantage for the minority group and discrimination against the majority group?

9 minutes ago, danot said:

Because in your analogy, you bring the minority group on level with the majority group.  You make both groups equal it seems. But the only way you could achieve this using positive action is by treating the majority group less favourably. Discrimination. Like I said, it just doesnt work as an example if you're trying to illustrate how positive action isn't discriminatory.  You need an example based on a one-to-one situation such as a job interview where the probability of either person losing out is 50/50.

Incredible, so from making two groups equal, you've concluded that the group that was better off is now treated less favourably and suffered discrimination too.

That's impressive thinking.

Edited by SnailyBoy

or another one.

Group A suffered 10 random physical attacks last year

Group B suffered 12 random physical attacks lat year

Group A is given 2 random beatings to equal things up.

1 minute ago, Magilla said:

In what way is the majority group treated less favourably?

Isn't it obvious?  If the majority (The greater number) are given £10, and minority (The smaller number) are given £10.....

8 minutes ago, danot said:

Isn't it obvious?  If the majority (The greater number) are given £10, and minority (The smaller number) are given £10.....

You've got to be kidding me.

22 minutes ago, danot said:

It's not £10 spread across the entire group, that's obvious! :?

Majority could well mean "gets the most opportunites", it doesn't have to relate to the size of the group.

Edited by Magilla