What is equality to you?

Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

1 hour ago, neworderishere said:

if i am interviewing for a warehouse position which i have in the past, i dont want a woman as it involves heavy lifting, i dont want  BAME as they are likely to make things difficult with some preferences, i do want an eastern european who has a good work ethic and can graft.

On the other hand if i want an articulate  person who is service led for a telephone or front facing role then i would look to the BAME or women to fill that role.

as for non hetro it depends on how flamboyant and overt they are!

What preferences?

1 hour ago, neworderishere said:

if i am interviewing for a warehouse position which i have in the past, i dont want a woman as it involves heavy lifting, i dont want  BAME as they are likely to make things difficult with some preferences, i do want an eastern european who has a good work ethic and can graft.

On the other hand if i want an articulate  person who is service led for a telephone or front facing role then i would look to the BAME or women to fill that role.

Not that you're one to stereotype :hihi:

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Not that you're one to stereotype :hihi:

not stereo typing at all i say as i find! yes all the poles who have worked for us were grafters, have had various ones and all have done a good job. as for flamboyant do i want an overtly non hetro guy front customer facing er no, maybe in some situations that works to their advantage in another industry like media etc.

2 hours ago, neworderishere said:

So, well, that's a massive demonstration of prejudice basically.  And it would have been so easy.  Watch.

If I am interviewing for a warehouse position I don't want someone who can't meet the physical requirement of heavy lifting.  I want someone with a good work ethic who will work hard.

If I'm interviewing for a customer facing position, I want someone who can interact well with customers, is personable and articulate.

Look at that, I get to hire the correct people without having any hugely discriminatory prejudices that I have to try to justify to myself.

6 minutes ago, neworderishere said:

not stereo typing at all i say as i find! yes all the poles who have worked for us were grafters, have had various ones and all have done a good job. as for flamboyant do i want an overtly non hetro guy front customer facing er no, maybe in some situations that works to their advantage in another industry like media etc.

You're claiming not to be stereotyping whilst demonstrating textbook stereotyping.  Making assumptions about people based on gender, sexual preference and race.

You're like a demonstration of how not to behave!

2 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So, well, that's a massive demonstration of prejudice basically.  And it would have been so easy.  Watch.

If I am interviewing for a warehouse position I don't want someone who can't meet the physical requirement of heavy lifting.  I want someone with a good work ethic who will work hard.

If I'm interviewing for a customer facing position, I want someone who can interact well with customers, is personable and articulate.

Look at that, I get to hire the correct people without having any hugely discriminatory prejudices that I have to try to justify to myself.

You're claiming not to be stereotyping whilst demonstrating textbook stereotyping.  Making assumptions about people based on gender, sexual preference and race.

You're like a demonstration of how not to behave!

Exactly.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

Thats exactly how to do it outside your own mind, as i said peoples judgement s are in their mind, yours ,mine, everyone's?

Just now, neworderishere said:

Thats exactly how to do it outside your own mind, as i said peoples judgement s are in their mind, yours ,mine, everyone's?

So you're saying that in your own mind, you're massively prejudiced.

Yes, my judgements are also in my own mind, but I do my best not to think like you do.  I'd frankly find it abhorrent if I had any such thought.  Thought processes like yours are disgusting and exactly why positive action is still needed.

If we're lucky you'll get caught out in your hiring practices and taken to court, but unfortunately it's quite easy for racist, sexist homophobes to hide their prejudices.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

So you're saying that in your own mind, you're massively prejudiced.

Yes, my judgements are also in my own mind, but I do my best not to think like you do.  I'd frankly find it abhorrent if I had any such thought.  Thought processes like yours are disgusting and exactly why positive action is still needed.

If we're lucky you'll get caught out in your hiring practices and taken to court, but unfortunately it's quite easy for racist, sexist homophobes to hide their prejudices.

you have just made my point for me! you can protest all day long that you do the right thing and dont have any prejudices but who would ever know?

Well, my behaviour would demonstrate it and I'd know.

If we analysed your hiring decisions, then I think they'd highlight your (admitted) prejudices.

11 hours ago, SnailyBoy said:

I assume you're referring to post #345. Read it again and see what i was actually claiming (I'll give you a clue, it isn't what you think).

In 345 you said:

"You're falling into the trope that reducing the disadvantage of minorities, increases the disadvantage to the majority."

What you're actually claiming is that reducing the disadvantage of minorities doesn't increase the disadvantage of the majority. So I asked you, and will ask you a third time in the hope of getting an answer at last, how is a white male not getting a job for the sole reason of his gender/race considered to be equality? How does it not "increase his disadvantage"?

11 hours ago, SnailyBoy said:

While you're at it, try to put yourself in the situation of someone who feels they don't get interviews based purely on their name and the ethnicity it may be perceived as.

https://fullfact.org/economy/job-applicants-ethnic-minority-sounding-names-are-less-likely-be-called-interview/

Would you feel you're at a disadvantage compared to applicants with 'white sounding names'?

Yes but that would be illegal discrimination. We're not discussing that as there's not a debate there. I'm talking about "positive action", where if all else is equal (an unlikely scenario for most jobs), the deciding factor is who ticks the minority box, meaning the person with the "wrong" gender, race, religion, etc, loses out. In such an equal scenario the only fair, non-discriminative solution would be something like drawing straws or tossing a coin. 

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I am doing the same about black people, I assume that generally they are disadvantaged in the UK compared to white people.  I assume that they've experienced considerably higher levels of racism than the "me too" white men who bleat about once or twice in their lives having had a racist comment directed at them.

These are perfectly reasonable assumptions to make.

You're making sweeping generalisations based on race. On other threads, you chastise people for making stereotypical generalisations. I call it hypocrisy.