Tv series shot in Sheffield 1970s ish

does anyone remember a tv series shot in Sheffield lots of outside shots around pear street and inside the rising sun ,they used the landlord as an extra.it was a ale house only no spirits served.late sixties or early seventies.think it featured a bloke with a box of ashes round his neck that bit might be wrong.

Edited by Groose
fixed Sheffield in the title

It could have been;

I didn't know you cared

I remember on that was to do with an apocalypse or nuclear war. Some bits shot in the Ponds St area when they were doing some major re development.

The title shots pictures a Traffic Warden with a bandaged head carrying a rifle. Can't remember the name though.

Some shots also at the old Royal Infirmary

I remember on that was to do with an apocalypse or nuclear war. Some bits shot in the Ponds St area when they were doing some major re development.

The title shots pictures a Traffic Warden with a bandaged head carrying a rifle. Can't remember the name though.

Some shots also at the old Royal Infirmary

that was the film Threads a pal from stocksbridge did some extra work on it.just remembered one of the camera men had a problem with his Porsche 911 we fitted him a new ignition switch.

Edited by choogling

that was the film Threads a pal from stocksbridge did some extra work on it.

You're correct. Just googled it, 1984

You're correct. Just googled it, 1984

that film was a bit too true to life for lots ,it made you realise that in a world war three situation we would be on our own.

An excellent film all round, but shame it didnt really bring out the BEST of Sheffield!!!! Seeing the Moor 'explode' was hardly good for tourism in the direct sense, but even today the film stand up and is very atmospheric.

Hi choogling, Yes I remember the one I think you mean. It was called I Didn't Know You Cared. I never lissed it. It was about a family called Brandon. Is that the one?

Grannypat

IT was definitely I Didn't Know You Cared, Stephen Rea who played Carter Brandon went on to be nominated for an Oscar for his role in The Crying Game, Liz Smith who played Mrs Brandon went on to many roles including The Royle Family, Mr Brandon, alias John Comer played Syd the cafe owner in Last of the Summer Wine, Shakesperian Actor Robin Bailey played the mournful Uncle Mort, he played him as though he was a true Yorkshireman, his accent was spot on, the second actor to play Uncle Staveley was Leslie Sarony, he'd been on the stage since 1913, he was famous for his comedy songs , Ain't It Grand To Be Blooming Well Dead and the song he wrote Down On Jollity Farm, a forgotten star. Anita Carey played Carters long suffering girlfriend, Pat, she went on to play Joyce Smedley in Coronation Street, the role of Pat and Uncle Staveley were played by two different actors during the series.

Edited by lazarus

does anyone remember a tv series shot in Sheffield lots of outside shots around pear street and inside the rising sun ,they used the landlord as an extra.it was a ale house only no spirits served.late sixties or early seventies.think it featured a bloke with a box of ashes round his neck that bit might be wrong.

Uncle Staveley was the character with the box of ashes. It was the remains of his military oppo "Corporal Parkinson".

The books are worth reading: First in the series is "A Touch of Daniel" by Peter Tinniswood. The books had a spin off which was also turned into a television series. This was "Mog", about a well meaning Welsh ne'er do well. At one point he becomes a neighbour of the Brandon family.

Edited by Person6