Animal welfare demonstration

Actually domesticated cows are quite far removed from their wild ancestors.

There is some discussion if certain breeds of farm animal are actually able to survive in the wild without human intervention.

Actually domesticated cows are quite far removed from their wild ancestors.

There is some discussion if certain breeds of farm animal are actually able to survive in the wild without human intervention.

Some breeds yes, but the species as a whole would survive. And as they are bred purely for human consumption then the evolutionary process would take its due course.

Hello I should have had a better look but I was in a rush there was some sort of demonstration on the moor this afternoon with about 15 people stood in a circle silent showing a video of a fish being slaughtered ? really small logo on the screen cop /cod then - something, couldnt make it out ? all wearing those anonymous black and white masks

Does anyone no anything about it the video was just a looped fish being gutted

another group of professional timewasters with no jobs or prospects giving themselves a holier than thou image, ignore them.

Some breeds yes, but the species as a whole would survive. And as they are bred purely for human consumption then the evolutionary process would take its due course.
And return e.g. pigs into boars?

Makes me wonder what vegans would eat, after a demographic explosion of wild pigs (boars in the wild: 2 to 3 litters a year per sow, up to 12 piglets a pop = up to 36 new boars per annum per sow: now that's not mice or rat rates...but then these aren't small rodents, either), trampling cultures and eating their fill of corn and other crops, the length and breadth of the country ;)

EDIT, for those who have never seen crop damage by boars first-hand, here is a quick glimpse into the problem. It's one of the problems (their impact on other species, also referenced at the link, is another; and there are many more, including e.g. traffic collisions at night in more densely populated areas; hitting an adult boar at 40+ will total your car). Also, that link is about the US, but it's no different at all in Europe (except the UK, which has very few boars left at all - and would make the notional problem significantly worse, for that very treason).

Edited by L00b

I wonder if vegans only buy crops and foodstuffs from people who are vegans ?

I bet they have some meat eating farmer producing their veggies..

I couldn't work it out either you know if you don't want to eat meat for whatever reason then don't - can't see the point of standing in a circle trying to make a some point it was all just strange and there was a police van next to them with two officers in watching and two stood opposite them lol

What was the actual point?? Don't eat meat because killing animals is bad?

Not really Earth-shattering information?

15 people stood in a circle silent showing a video of a fish being slaughtered ?

Doesn't most fish die when it's landed on the boat?

They don't keep them in water so they must asphyxiate within a minute or so ??

I wonder if vegans only buy crops and foodstuffs from people who are vegans ?

I bet they have some meat eating farmer producing their veggies..

I had to read this post a couple of times to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

I wonder if meat eaters only buy foodstuffs from people who are also meat eaters?

No, of course they don't.

I wonder if meat eaters only buy foodstuffs from people who are also meat eaters?

I only buy high welfare vegetables from farmers with the IQ of a carrot. Albeit a very well looked after carrot.

I eat food from anyone 'cos i eat meat and veg- but i'm not telling people how bad it is to not eat meat 'cos i don't care.

But i see it as slightly hypocritical that vegan demonstrators buy produce from farms where the produce is provided by someone who isn't a vegan.

So for the vegan to live a vegan lifestyle a cow has to be killed to keep the farmer alive.

I eat food from anyone 'cos i eat meat and veg- but i'm not telling people how bad it is to not eat meat 'cos i don't care.

But i see it as slightly hypocritical that vegan demonstrators buy produce from farms where the produce is provided by someone who isn't a vegan.

So for the vegan to live a vegan lifestyle a cow has to be killed to keep the farmer alive.

I eat food from anyone because I'm ok with the choices other people make regarding what they eat, even if those choices are not the same as mine.

Your post #17 referred to "vegans", not "vegan demonstrators". There is a difference as you well know – just as there are vegans who are realistic about the world they live in. With such a black/white view that you've demonstrated so far on this subject, anyone would think you were a lawyer.

I only buy high welfare vegetables from farmers with the IQ of a carrot. Albeit a very well looked after carrot.

It's refreshing to have jovial imput into a thread such as one that provokes some of the earlier posts appearing in this one.

I eat food from anyone because I'm ok with the choices other people make regarding what they eat, even if those choices are not the same as mine.

Your post #17 referred to "vegans", not "vegan demonstrators". There is a difference as you well know – just as there are vegans who are realistic about the world they live in. With such a black/white view that you've demonstrated so far on this subject, anyone would think you were a lawyer.

It's refreshing to have jovial imput into a thread such as one that provokes some of the earlier posts appearing in this one.

For which i offer my apologies as the two are not necessarily the same.